Letterbox vs Fullscreen Poll @ Howstuffworks.com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Come on. Get yer asses over there and VOTE. Fullscreen is ahead now. GET THERE AND VOTE LETTERBOX RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

2. Ken Garrison

I see Letterbox climbed a little. Great work. Everybody else. VOTE. Fullscreen is still ahead. We want letterbox to win. I don't care if you have to vote with every computer you got. Or clear your cache and cookies to do it. Just vote and leave FULLSCREEN in the dust. Fullscreen don't deserve to win the vote. It's a disgrace to every movie out there. I know it may not be fair. Actually, it is. Because LETTERBOX IS BETTER!!

3. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

If you'll provide a link to this poll I will vote...[​IMG]

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

5. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Go here. Bottom right-hand corner.
    Adam

6. Ken Garrison

Look in the subject. Howstuffworks.com. Well, thanks Adam for putting the link anyway.

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

The poll is over and sadly, fullscreen won.

8. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

I don't know which is more disturbing - The 46% that said they preferred full screen, or the 14% that said "it doesn't matter to me".

9. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

kind of wish this hadn't been posted on HTF now. if any studios come across this thread and see 46% in favour of full-screen, oh dear! my faith in humanity has just lowered a notch, and it was already pretty low to begin with [​IMG]

10. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

It's the end of the world as we know it!

11. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

12. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

Sorry for the double thread...damn I have to read more closely!

13. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I find it ironic that a site called howstuffworks doesn't seem to understand how OAR works.

And again we have the "fullscreen = no black bars on your telly" line, which is ridiculous, since all the modern TV I watch and most of my DVDs are ~1.78:1 which fill my widescreen TV; it's "fullscreen" and scope widescreen releases that have the black bars.

As usual with these silly polls, it's the wording that matters. I imagine there would be a different outcome if the options were:
    a) As it was in the cinema, or how the director intended;
    b) With a great deal of picture information missing, or extra picture detail possibly containing boom mikes, crew shadows etc.

14. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am surprised at how high the letterbox totals are, considering the recent Disney phone survey was yielding 99.9% favour for p&s. I have to wonder if both surveys are truly representative of the general public though.

16. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Well, I don't think it was ever really 99.9%...99% even would have been more likely. Even still, you can add that indifferent 14% to either party and either side prevails.

17. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

i don't think it's all doom and gloom though.

i can't see widescreen ever disappearing from the european market, especially with widescreen sets having such an established base there. this includes UK market as well. i'd rather have PAL speedup than no OAR. there are already quite a few titles being released in widescreen that are fullscreen in US.

perhaps these advertisement efforts (those proposed for variety) should be directed more towards hardware manufacturers (tvs) to get them to lower their prices. i think they're the main culprit for the lack of take of widescreen in US.

18. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I think if the poll were more informative than the results might have been different. "The one with black bars" doesn't exactly inspire one to vote in that direction.

Too bad I didn't see this yesterday.

It would be nice if they did an accurate informative article along with a poll of this nature.

19. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

These numbers shouldn't be that surprising. Consider that we as the enthusiasts are a relatively small group compared to the rest of the movie going public. I would like to see that poll in an alternate universe where the studios went out of their way to educate the public on the importance of OAR. The full screen preference I believe is one borne largely of ignorance.

20. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

I found an error...they spelled "fullscreen" wrong, its supposed to be foolscreen.
    Damn typos...