letterbox question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Derek_Leigh, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Derek_Leigh

Derek_Leigh Auditioning

hello,

i just purchased my first widescreen TV. i'm no expert, but do understand letterboxing, anamorphic widescreen, etc...

my question is about the black bars on the sides and top and bottom of my screen when i'm watching an anamorphic DVD.

i'll use "revenge of the sith" as an example.

i have the TV set to the normal viewing mode, the DVD player set to 16x9, and the film looks like a non-anamorphic DVD, with bars on the sides and tops. only after i use the zoom function on the TV, do the black bars on the sides go away. why is this? would hooking up an HDMI cable prevent this?(MY DVD player has this connection)

i understand why i have the bars on the sides when watching regular 4:3 TV, but why do my DVD's have the bars on the sides as well.

the TV is a sony KDF-50E2000

thanks .[​IMG]

2. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Derek,

Do you have your DVD player set for a 16:9 TV (instead of 4:3)?

3. Derek_Leigh

Derek_Leigh Auditioning

yes.

4. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Looking on the Sony website, I see the modes for your TV are [Wide Zoom, Normal (480 only), Full, Zoom]

So "Normal" is what you would use to watch 4:3 encoded material as the TV will have black bars on the sides

"Full" is what you should use to watch a 16:9 encoded DVD such as "Revenge of the Sith"

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

It should make no difference whether you are using an HDMI cable versus component or S-video cables so long as the player is outputting 480i or 480p. Otherwise the TV has a serious deficiency. If the player mimics HDTV (upscales to 1080i or 720p) the TV may offer only the 16:9 mode with bars on top and bottom.

A 4:3 TV should not show bars on the sides, unless its width or HSIZ control is mis-set, or unless the DVD had sidebars pre-recorded so that none of the picture ever goes off the sides due to overscan.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. Derek_Leigh

Derek_Leigh Auditioning

OK, i guess i assumed the TV should be set to normal and it would automatically determine the screen format based on what kind of picture was being displayed.

thanks everyone for their help.