Letterbox promo/explanation on TCM

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenT, Mar 12, 2002.

1. StephenT

StephenT Stunt Coordinator

I saw part of this before Rocky aired tonight on TCM. It was FANTASTIC. It had Ron Howard and Martin Scorsese discussing some of their favorite films and why they had to be seen letterboxed (OAR). They would show clips form the films that jumped back and forth between p&s and OAR. They were great scene choices to show from great films. Maybe this little promo has been discussed here before, but I had never seen it. It would be the PERFECT promo to add to DVDs. It really was great. They'd have to drop the TCM references from it of course. I wish I had seen it from the begining. It sounded like it discussed a little bit of the history of widescreen in the theaters. It was very educational and very easy to follow. Did I mention it was great. I wish I new when it would air again so I could TiVo and keep it forever to show to any visitor to my home that complains about those black bars.

2. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I saw the same piece and commented here about it, probably over a year ago.
    Scorsese does a great job, and the context is perfect to educate those who are just being given the choice between widescreen and P&S.
    It is one of the best educational clips on widescreen & OAR vs. P&S I've seen. I'm still surprised none of the studios have come up with something (anything?) comparable - but I guess the studios have no desire to spend a dime or lift a finger to support artistic integrity or directors' intent - unless it pays back a million for the dime in [​IMG] [​IMG].

3. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Last year I taped Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (the best musical ever! IMNSHO) off of TCM in it's OAR the tape was set early and caught the entire promo. I was of course delighted, it had some great illustrations of pan and scan from SBFSB, How the West Was Won among many others, both Scorsese and Howard spoke about hte importance of OAR. I showed my mom the portion from SBFSB they took the scene from the dance atthe barn raising, and expanded the pan and scan image out until the whole OAR was visible, revealing a good ten more dancers, and making the whole choreography look much much better. I've never heard a single complaint about OAR since. [​IMG]
    Adam