Letter from DISH today: Distant Networks Gone

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by David_Jr, Feb 8, 2005.

1. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    Got a letter from DISH today saying that they are sorry, but due to the recent Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act passed by Congress in December I can no longer have both my local and distant networks. They say I can have one or the other and to choose by April 7, 2005. I used to be grandfathered into the distants, but no more.

They say "Echostar worked hard to advocate for your ability to have more choices, but ultimately, broadcaster special interests were able to persuade Congress that your rights should be limited. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I thought SHVERA was going to allow DISH to give me more networks not less!!!! What gives?

2. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

SHVERA sucks! That's what gives. I got the same letter. I chose to keep the grandfather protection and will lose my locals in April. Having 2 offsetting channels for each network was one of the main draws of satellite for me and my reason for going to Dish after Primestar went belly up (Direct TV would not let me have distants even though I was in a white zone and no locals were available).

Looking at Dish's site, giving up the grandfather protection would make me lose distant CBS and FOX and I would have to fight for waivers. That fight is not worth it, so I will drop locals, and make sure that they know that the tactics didn't work and they just lost a viewer.

Chris

3. David_Jr

Dave
    Problem for me is that they took the distant ABC from me last year so if I keep the distants it means no ABC. Wife will not allow that. ABC is impossible for us to get OTA. The only OTA we get is CBS. Also no cable here. Is that what they mean by Grade B signal? Have also been told by others in the area that locals (about 45 miles away - Albany, NY) will NOT budge on waivers. What to do?!!

4. Chris_Morris

Luckily I have protection on all 4 nets. I cannot receive a viewable signal from any, even with a rooftop antenna, due to their being a mountain in the way.

If I were in your situation, I would write to each of your locals, asking for a waiver. I would explain your predicament with the grandfather protection, and your disgust with the NAB and the SHVERA. Tell them that you have lost trust in them, but are willing to give it one more try, but if the waivers are refused you are dropping locals and they will lose a viewer. Tell them that even with the distants, you still watch locals when possible and use the distants for conflicts and such. You should have enough time to get an answer from them, and still have time to decide whether or not it is in your best interest to keep the protection or not.

I was not happy about having to redo alot of TiVo season passes due to them being set to local channels.

Chris

5. David_Jr

Dave

Sounds like you have Directv, yes. Don't understand why the rules are being applied differently between DISH & Directv. We also live in the mountains (Berkshires) and are able to get the one OTA with a very large rooftop antenna. I want to keep my locals, although the signal quality on them is much worse than the distants, but I also wanted to keep the distants just for variety. It is 2005 and the technology is there, you should be able to receive any channel you are willing to pay for. You shouldn't be forced to watch any particular network channels. If the local channel can't keep your attention through good quality signal etc, they should have to lose you the way I see it.

What makes this all the more aggravating is that I just saw Charlie Ergen on Charlie Chat last month saying that they are looking into the possibility of giving more people more channels due to the "significantly viewed" clause in the SHVERA law. But I guess the rules the FCC came out with went the other way.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Chris_Morris

I have Dish, Directv never would let me have the distants in the first place.

Chris

7. David_Jr

Dave
    Curious. I have been a DISH customer since 1997 and had the East & West Network package from the beginning. About a year ago we upgraded to the Superdish & got our locals at the same time and a DVR 510. About a month after that our ABC west upped and disappeared. I called DISH to see what gives and was told that I was no longer eligible for it, but was able to keep NBC, CBS & Fox west. I argued up the food chain to no avail. I assumed they took ABC west from all of its customers due to some ruling or something and not just me. Oh well. Curious. Thanks for the input though.

8. Chris_Morris

At some point the coverage areas changed, so that when upgrading or downgrading service, Dish had to re-authorize your networks. Alot of people were afraid to do anything with their account because of this. But it is all moot now as the NAB got what they wanted.

Chris

9. David_Jr

Dave
    And another thing, the picture and sound quality on my locals is far below the distants that it replaced. Particularly the picture quality which is dreadful on all my locals. You can constantly see blocking and on solid fields like grass you can see the blocking constantly changing. Oh well.

10. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I agree but unfortunately those with all the Gold get to make all the laws. Let's face it the NAB is a very powerful group and they really don't care about you since they have a government regulated monopoly.

I find it interesting how in a supposed market driven economy once a company (in this case the broadcasters) gets into a position of favor they gladly seek out government assistance to maintain their position.

What a bunch of hypocrites.

11. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    as a side note....
    directv is no longer offering to process waivers.

12. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Nasty. This is just downright bad. Technology is supposed to give us options and not have those options downgraded due to big business.

13. David_Jr

Dave
    I just received notification from DISH that as of December 1st all distant networks are being shut off, regardless of previous qualification or grandfathering, due to a recent district court decision. They asked me to send an email to my two senators and my rep. I did. Got a reply from Sen. Kennedy saying he has no jurisdiction in the matter. No response from Sen. Kerry or my rep.

14. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

This is why we have cable. Plus it works when it's raining, too.

15. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I can't remember the last time my satellite lost reception because of rain. By the way when is the last time you received distant networks with cable? Oh wait I can answer that question, NEVER.

16. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

You probably haven't watched NBC HD before have you? If it rains in NY the entire nation gets crappy broadcasts. I've also had outages with cable because they get their signal mostly from sat as well and OTA in other cases.

17. David_Jr

Dave
    Cable (Time/Warner) refuses to run cable through our rural town because there is not enough customers for them. Sat is the only way to go. We have had distant networks since the beginning of our Sat subscription 10 years ago. You get used to having them. Rain fade is not an issue really as it happens only a couple of times a year and only during heavy T-storms that usually knock out the power anyway. Does anyone have any idea what court case ruling prompted this?

18. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I currently live in a "rural" area and have the NY locals of Fox, UPN, ABC, WB and Los Angeles locals for Fox, WB and UPN. I have not yet received the letter but I'm sure we'll be losing these as well.

Oh and by the way, I switched from cable to Satellite because the damn cable was going out on what seemed to be a weekly basis. Satellite has been out for 5 minutes this past year. Gee which is more reliable?

19. Professor_Echo

Professor_Echo Stunt Coordinator

People who are stuck with cable ALWAYS try to ferret out some minute justification for why it's better than satellite when in their hearts they know it is vastly inferior. Satellite tv has its problems, but most home theater devotees know it still reigns supreme over digital cable.

20. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

Really? I have both available to me, have had both and went to digital cable because of the rain/snow problems and cost...

Honestly, am I miising something, because I am looking to switch back possibly because my cable prices just went up.

what are the vast differences you speak of?