What's new

Letter closing assistance (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Go Sox! Whoops, wrong Yanks.

Ok, ok, I've got it:

If you have any further questions or comments, feel free to contact me.
p.s. you can also contact any of the committee members.

:)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It should also be 'you may contact' not 'you can' since the latter is just telling the recipient what they are capable of whereas the former grants permission.

Regarding the 'myself' rule - yes, the elimination technique makes it sound wrong, but in the original sentence 'including me' can be misconstrued as simply indicating that the committee includes the writer and thus, nobody in particular is being identified to receive questions, something that 'myself' although 'wrong', does not construe. It is one of those instances where, like splitting infinitives, an 'incorrect' use is on rare occasions validated because it clarifies meaning and thus, on the principle that ultimately accurate communication is more important than syntax, use of 'myself' in this type of instance is correct. Grammatical rules are like any others - they are guidelines that should be followed by may under exceptional circumstances be broken for the greater good.

However, it is also possible that we have a Brit-American difference of use here. The use of 'myself' is not considered a cardinal sin over here.

Have a nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks