What's new

Let's Whine and Moan About Having To Back To School Thread (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I actually might have to resort to using my locker this year, as I'll probably have more books than in previous years, and all my classes after 3rd period are on the first floor, and I never even go to the third floor at all. However, with well over 2000 students clogging the hallways, and most of them congregating or sauntering rather than walking, it will be a near impossibility just to open the damn thing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This Sept I turn 31, and it is the first Fall "semester" in the past 26 years that I do not have to go back to school!!!! :D
Ah yes, it's good to be done with elementary school, high school, college, and graduate school!
Hang in there, since you'll most likely go to school a great many years less than I did.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I teach college/university, and I hope you all study well and seriously. The point of doing well and knowing alot is to keep options open and to maximize the amount of options open to you.

Dan

PS: keep in mind you are swimming in a culture that appears to frown on studying and on intellect, and b/c of Hollywood and advertising seems to smile on brawn, beauty, and idiocy. WRONG. Most successful people are smart, and work their butts off. Think about it: is there not a huge disjuncture between what many think is cool and what will get you into a good college?

Get into a good college and you maximize your future options. You want a good HT, or to do work a machine couldn't do: max your options.

DL

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I just started my first semester of college here at the University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL. I am in the dorms and having a BLAST so far :) College is a lot more fun than high school (plus I get Tuesdays and Thursdays off! :) ). To those of you seniors in HS, make sure to fill out those applications in as early as possible... it greatly helps your chances at getting in (think of November as your DEADLINE).
:D

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I have been getting the standard late August dreams about going back to school. :angry: To bad I graduated college and don't have to go anymore. HAHAHAHA!!!! Wait, oh, it's 9AM and im at WORK!!!! :eek:

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
As a 27 year old college graduate, I can honestly say I am glad to see the kids back in school. All these kids running around are starting to drive me nuts. :)
-Dean-

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
PS: keep in mind you are swimming in a culture that appears to frown on studying and on intellect, and b/c of Hollywood and advertising seems to smile on brawn, beauty, and idiocy. WRONG. Most successful people are smart, and work their butts off. Think about it: is there not a huge disjuncture between what many think is cool and what will get you into a good college?
Exactly. While I detest school, I realize its importance and try to do well. Basically, this doctored quote from Gladiator sums up my feelings, "I am required to go to school and do well, so I do. That is enough."

What really annoys me is when I see all these yo-boys and "popular" kids treating school like its a dance club or just some place to hang out. Meandering in the halls, goofing off when they should be working, and then looking down on people who actually do give it a serious effort. I just tell myself that they won't be so happy ten years from now when they're taking my order at McDonald's.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
What really annoys me is when I see all these yo-boys and "popular" kids treating school like its a dance club or just some place to hang out. Meandering in the halls, goofing off when they should be working, and then looking down on people who actually do give it a serious effort. I just tell myself that they won't be so happy ten years from now when they're taking my order at McDonald's
I think that's the fun part about school. I'm always in my group of friends (we're all in honors classes, top 10% of our grade and such) and we just like to sit back and watch all the really dumb stuff the popular kids do that they think is cool. We just like to have fun with school while at the same time learning. If the popular kids think they're having a good time by being in the Core (read: slow) classes, then they could only imagine the fun we have in honors.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
As a 27 year old college graduate, I can honestly say I am glad to see the kids back in school. All these kids running around are starting to drive me nuts.
it's a double edged sword here, the town is EMPTY all summer long, then when the kiddies go to school all the college assholes move back into town and piss me off :D
it's kind of nice having the place to yourself, less traffic, most the traffic here moves slow as hell and with no other fast movers it makes motorcycling much more enjoyable (ie I'm the only one cutting through traffic)
Also I don't have parties all around my apartment, fucking up parking and just in general, pissing me off :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dave, if you don't mind sharing, what do you do that kept you in school so long?
Post-college I went to grad school and just finished my Ph.D. in Optics (as in Physics, not Ophthamology). It took me longer than originally expected but now I'm done.
All my edumakation is paying off now with an interesting job at Kodak (I'll get to take part in the manufacture of space-borne telescopes :) If all goes really well, even play a role in creating the successor to Hubble :D )

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Mmmm..school threads.
Back to school can only mean one thing for me: Big Yellow School buses driving way too slow!
Anyway, I will present Garrett's School survival guide. As gleaned from years of school, and movies. (Does not apply to college, I was drunk most of the time).
*Notebooks: Big waste of money, everything is written in the textbooks already.
*Bring a pen. Pencils are so uncool.
*Buy a car, nobody likes the bus.
*French is useless. Take spanish instead.
*Everybody and their sister has a new tongue-stud for the school year. Be original and get yourself a 10gauge genital piercing instead.
*band T-shirts are so uncool.
*Although it will make you obscenely popular for several weeks, avoid getting a tattoo in highschool. You'll undoubtedly regret it within the year. Wait till your 21, by then you'll have more money to spend on it anyway.
One last thing: Working at McDonalds sucks. So be sure to graduate.:)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
One last thing: Working at McDonalds sucks. So be sure to graduate
Ironically, the number one ranked student in my class works at McDonald's. Has for a few years. Even used the fact that he's been able to hold up a job for so long as a reason why we should have elected him as class treasurer.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Well, looky here, it's 6:40 AM, and I'm out of bed and half-delirious. In fact, I'm so tired I can't even steady my fingers to type this post. Well, it's off to hell I go. I bid you all a very fond farewell.

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
6:40? I'm out of bed at 5:25 and at school by 6:30. My year started August 5th.

Just grin and bear it, school can be worse (I know, I live it).

If you ever hear of a program called "Internation Bacculaureat (sp?)" stay away! Stay far, far away!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hmm, yeah i just checked.. i have like a week left,not two... i start Sept.3, at 1:00pm Pacific time.

DAMN

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks