What's new

Let's Whine and Moan About Having To Back To School Thread (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Calling all fellow teenage members, it's time to gather together and bitch about school starting. It's probably started for some of you already, but personally I go back to hell this Tuesday. Despite the fact that the highlight of my summer was getting a cyst removed from my butt, and the highlight of most days was waiting for the mall (I'm not making this stuff up), at least I didn't have to get out of bed at 6 o'clock in the AM. I'm sorry, but people just shouldn't be out of bed when there's still dew on the grass. That, and I have two days to finish all the crap summer work that I put off to the last minute, not to mention there's going to be a huge influx of freshmen to my bus-stop, including my neighbor. Let's just say this about my neighbors: I'd rather live in the zombie-infested sewers from Resident Evil than live next to them another day. The problem is confounded by the fact that we live in a duplex. The words, "When I was your age, we lived in a duplex, we didn't even have our own house," have never rang more true.

That's what I have to say to school.:frowning:
D'oh, in my frustration I neglected to put the word "go" in the thread title. Somebody please fix.:b

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I suppose that was quite a bit ironic, but believe it or not, I do quite well in school despite my horrible attitude. I've actaully gotten straight A's the past two years, which is a minor miracle, considering that most days I'm too lazy to even feed myself, let alone do schoolwork.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I like school. My teachers generally like me, I get good grades, and I even enjoy my classes (then again, one of my classes is "TV Production" in our damn fine TV studio).

What sucks about going back to school this year, specifically, is the new rules. We are now not allowed to carry our bookbags on our backs during school, which means I have to go to my locker between classes to switch books. This wouldn't be so bad if there weren't 4 floors in my school and I didn't have as many books as I do. I already know of 5 books I'm going to have, plus a notebook and folder for each class, plus my French/English dictionary, plus my TI-89 calculator, plus my gym clothes...it's too much stuff for me to carry around in my arms all day.

Another new rule is how we are given lockers. It used to be that every "grade" would get their own section of lockers; freshmen on the top floor, sophomores in the english wing on the second floor, juniors by the computer rooms on the second floor, and seniors on the main floor. Now, we're given lockers by name, regardless of grade. This means my friend whose last name begins with "Y" will have her locker on the 4th floor for the next two years (we're juniors this year). This also means my friend will have his locker right next to his younger sister's locker. I can understand why they're assigning lockers this way, but I still disagree with it and think everything was fine before.

Ever hear the expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?" Well I found out that my school goes by "if it ain't broke, hit it again."

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ahhhh, dont remind me!
I still got... :eek: like two more weeks?! Oh man, summer's gone by FAST! Oh man, imagine 10 more months of hell... Im a senior too, so i gotta worry about exams, and trying to decipher impossible-to-understand college/university course-guides.
Im either gonna need to take a HUGE cut in hours or quit my job i just got near the middle of this month (Selling footware).
Hopefully this will be THE year. Im finally getting my gawdamn braces off (after 3.5 years :eek: ) so ill have a sexy new smile for the year. I got two spare blocks (three right now, coz i finished Bio12 during the summer, i get to take an extra class). My classes aint that hard either, the worst was done with during summer (93% for bio12! impossible if i took it in my school during the school year)
Aww man, 10 more months of hell, or relatively easy life, then its BOOM! University... what.. the.. hell... im gonna die.
The summer after my HighSchool grad will be awesome (my bestest buddy in the world's coming back for the summer), so i just gotta look foreward to that.
I do quite well in school despite my horrible attitude
Amen to that. I moan and bitch more than alot of my friends (well at least not in public) about school, but i still manage to get 6 A's and 2 B's in one of the toughest-marking schools in my district (refer back to my 93% in Bio12).
Expect more ranting later :D
Good luck fellow teenagers!

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
I had to go back on August 8th! The school system believes students would rather have a short summer for a week off in October. :angry:
Although I do well in school, it takes away from time I could be spending at the HTF or watching DVDs!

Kevin T

Screenwriter
ah yes, school. the one place you never want to be while you're there and the one place you wish you could return to once you're no longer there. take it from me, becoming a responsible full time working adult is way more stressing than going back to school. at least you get the summer off. have fun and and good luck this year!

kevin t

edit:

tyc...what part of alabama do you live in? i live in mobile and it's always nice to see fellow alabamians at htf.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
ah yes, school. the one place you never want to be while you're there and the one place you wish you could return to once you're no longer there.
I would rather endure most anything than go back to high school. Ugh! It's college I miss . . . sigh. If I were rich, I think I'd be a career student. :D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Hahahaha...if I had my way you kids would be doing year round school! None of this "take 3 months and forget everything we've learned" stuff. Plus you all crowd up the restaurants during lunch time in the summer.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i'm not really as upset about going back to school this year as i have in the past.
maybe it's because i'll be a senior and i'm taking classes i'm pretty interested in. there are rumours of new rules in our school too.....something along the line of no wearing shorts from october to may....i have no idea why and if it turns out to be true i'll do my best to wear shorts all year.
i get descent grades...mainly b's with the occasional A and C+. still have 3 summer reading books to finish by the 5th though.
oh...got my first college app done today :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
if I had my way you kids would be doing year round school!
You mean the type of year round schooling where we get 4 weeks of school (with weekends off), then two full weeks off, then 4 weeks again (and back and forth), plus extended (though not by much) breaks for the summer and winter? I would LOVE that kind of schooling.

I also bitch and moan about how stupid the administration at my school is. One thing I can say is that having a ton of really dumb kids at our school is fun; you can make fun of them without them knowing it (right in their faces, too) and they will do things like start fights (we had two large girls go at it, one went to the hospital!) or even food fights...which leads to an interesting story...

My brother graduated from my HS when I was in 7th grade, in 1999. Since he graduated, there haven't been any good food fights. So here we are, the last week before spring break this past school year. Some delinquents decide to start a food fight in the cafeteria (the whole school eats at the same time, so we can eat almost anywhere in the school). The plan was to put food on the tables, flip them over to use them as cover, then start launching food. Suffice it to say, it worked, and quite well. People came out covered in food. A few kids had to change into their gym clothes and then drive home to get changed. But the really messed up thing is that our school just so happened to be hosting a district-wide debate tournament (our school is home of the debate champions for our district), so we had a bunch of kids from other schools dressed up in "sunday's best" kinds of stuff. They just so happened to be eating in the cafeteria when it all went down, so they came out covered in food, as well as all the other victims.

Afterwards, just about every student in the school was trying to get into the cafeteria to see what happened, so we had at least 400 students (of about 1100, maybe more or less) in the lobby (which is quite small) at the same time. While the teachers and aides tried to get everyone to go back into the gym while they cleaned up the mess and took care of everything, some kids decided to try and hit some of the administrators with stuff, like a blue recycling bin (kinda small, not that big). That student was told to go to the office, but said they didn't do anything (everybody saw them do it) so then there was a screaming match.

All in all, it was fun to watch.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I start college this Wednesday. I won't be getting the "full college experience" as I'll be living at home (and commuting ~10 miles to Bradley University), but I'll be saving saving $6,000/year as a result. :emoji_thumbsup:
I went over to the school bookstore on Friday and dropped $435 on textbooks for this semester. It was pretty painful. After that I don't think I'll be able to afford that $700 Denon 3802 I was hoping to get. :frowning: I'll have to see if my parents decide to chip in at all...

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
do other high schools let the seniors go out for lunch? mine does and i'm lookin forward to blowing all my cash on dunkin donuts, burger king, or pizza.

i remember my freshman year when the penalty for fighting was only a a few days suspension...now its 10. the first week there were about 15 fights and i was scared to death being the scrawny kid i am.

KyleK

Second Unit
Schoooool? We hates the word!! School stole our precious, and we wants it!!

Ahem, err what was I saying, oh yes school, jolly good, one step at a time, that's the ticket!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
do other high schools let the seniors go out for lunch? mine does and i'm lookin forward to blowing all my cash on dunkin donuts, burger king, or pizza
Mine does. We also have a full hour for lunch (there's a crazy schedule system we have) and a town or so away (which is about 10-15 minutes) there are TONS of fast food places.

Sometimes, if kids are already late to school, they'll go to McDonald's or someplace else for breakfast.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
no teen but fall semester starts Tuesday. I'm more excited about it than anything, it's my last semester and I only have 2 classes.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
We are now not allowed to carry our bookbags on our backs during school, which means I have to go to my locker between classes to switch books
When I was in high school everyone would always go back to their lockers between classes. What was the point in carrying all your books around with you? We weren't allowed to leave the campus at lunch though so that sucked.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I and most other young folks these days find that it's easier to just carry all your books around in a backpack instead of having to rush to your locker and be late for class seven times a day. Especially considering the size of some high schools these days, there could be scenarios where you would have five minutes to go up and down three or four flights of crowded stairs, which almost guarnatee lateness to class every time.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
This year, I will have seven 5-section notebooks, 8 folders, 6 books (maybe more), pens/pencils/etc., my graphing calculator, my French-English Dictionary, plus other things that I will have to bring in (like projects, gym clothes, etc.). I also have a 4-story school (basement and 3 floors) with classes on each floor and only 5 minutes between classes. So I will have to go from the third floor to the second floor (where my locker will be) then to the basement for my next class. We also have about 1100 students in our school, so it's extremely crowded between classes (at least 9 years of school and they still don't know how to walk!).
I'm sorry, but it's just not worth it. A few students are planning to use other types of bags to carry our books in because the new rule specifically says bookbags. If they same we can't carry books in any bags, then girls will start carrying books in their purses, which won't be fair to boys so then girls won't be able to bring purses to school, so then parents complain and they get rid of all the dumb rules. That's the plan, at least.
http://homepage.mac.com/smitty078/magicbag.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks