Let's tell HBO what we want-

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Landis, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Don Landis

Don Landis Auditioning

Removed by Don Landis. Content may have violated rules.

2. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

453 and counting...
    Jump on board and sign this everyone[​IMG]

3. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

525 and counting

4. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I signed but I sure hope we're not just blowing in the wind.

5. Don Landis

Don Landis Auditioning

Sure, Mel.

There are lots of discussions on this topic if you care to search for them using OAR or aspect ratio in the various forums, especially those dealing with HDTV, but I'll give you the short story now. In this I will use "movies" to mean all programming whether films or made for TV shows using film for production.

What you will see on Showtime HD are three types of conversions to HDTV 1080i screen format.

1. Movies transferred to 1080i HDTV in OAR or Original aspect ratio. This will be either full screen 16x9 or 2.35:1 (small bars top and bottom on a wide screen monitor).

2. Movies that are upconverted from 4:3 Pan & scan standard definition tape to HDTV tape (Black bars left and right)

3. Wide screen OAR movies on standard definition digital betacam tape that are upconverted to HDTV 1080i for air. ( These will often appear with both sets of black bars left and right as well as top and bottom)

On HBO HDTV channel, we have mostly true HDTV tape with no type 3 format programming that was on the Showtime HD format.

1. Same as above. On HBO, these usually represent the older transfers that were done prior to the implementation of their pan & scan policy.

2. Same as above.

3. Not generally done according to HBO rep.

4. The HBO policy that we are trying to get reversed. This is where they take an OAR movie that was done in 2.35 :1 and chop off some of the programming and then zoom in on what they think is interesting to fill the 16X9 screen. The advantage of this is that if never has black bars. The disadvantage is that they modify the movie, eliminating much of the content and restructure the image in the transfer to tape. In addition, this process will often reduse the picture quality making the image softer looking. In some cases, as with super 35 movies that expose a full 4:3 but the program is shot, frammed for 2.35 they will open up the matte and this often allows more image to be seen on the screen than was intended. On these movies you will often see props, mic booms and lighting that was not intended to be on the screen. Both these will, IMHO, ruin the story experience. It is this #4 that we are asking to be eliminated on the HDTV channels. Showtime, has stated that they will not Pan & scan movies for HDTV. Please note that the process of applying #4 to a film raises the cost of transfer significanly for the company doing the transfer. Each scene must be carefully pan and scan and this takes time. Otherwise to do a film in OAR takes no time as the film is simply transferred as is except for color correction which is needed at in any case.

Hope this helps.

6. Don Landis

Don Landis Auditioning

Mel-

I'm glad you got to read it but I must now remove it as I was made aware by Ron Epstein and others that I have broken the rules by posting here. Since I don't see a delete option I will try to remove just the body of text.

I apologize to all that were offended by my posts. Won't happen again.

Moderators - If you wish to remove the thread it is certainly fine with me.