What's new

Let's talk the friend out of the Bose speaker system..... (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have a friend here at work that has
been talking about buying a speaker
system to compliment his new Plasma
television.

He tells me about the $900 Bose system
that uses only two speakers but
promises to deliver the same type
of sound that a 5.1 system delivers.

To me, this sounds awfully fishy --
especially when claims are being made
from a company that has long been touted
as being "overpriced" for what it
delivers.

So....

Since I plan to print out the replies
this thread receives and show it to my
friend, I suppose I am asking you folks
to tell him why this system is not what
he should be purchasing.

Furthermore, if you could recommend
a quality 5.1 speaker system with small
cube speakers (this is a MUST for him)
for around the same price it would not
only be greatly apreciated but will give
him an idea as to why this forum is such
a great reference tool.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

VinhT

Second Unit
A Mirage Nanosat 5.1 system ($800 retail) will provide superior results. The form factor and diffuse sound characteristic will appeal to those that like Bose.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Energy Act6 goes for around 800$

Boston Acoustics System 510 goes for 800$
the 515, if he can stretch to 1000$ will get him a better sub. Also, he can buy the speakers individually and get the 400$ sub from SVS if he wants and stay on target for the budget.

Second vote for Nanosats

Any of these will blow Bose away in SQ.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
B&W has some panel-type speakers made to look nice next to plasma screens.

They're more expensive than the Bose, but were DEFINITELY sound better.

ChrisCan

Agent
Ask him if he noticed the local big box store has the Bose speakers in a separate location. They don't want their products compared head to head against anything else so you realize much better sound can be obtained for much less money

Tell him to get the HSU VT 12 and one of their subs. Haven't heard the system but lots of great reviews. I've got one of their subs (VTF3 MKII). Killer sub! The size of the speakers and budget fit the parameters given.

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
Klegg may appeal to him. I cannot speak for the sound quality of these since I haven't heard them. They appear to be of good quality, though. These carry about the same prices as Bose. But with the satellites being made from a laser machined zinc alloy they're most certainly of higher quality.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Heh, well you can start by telling him the DVD player in that 321 system is NOT going to do his plasma justice!

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I'm never sure where to begin when I'm trying to convince someone to realize that with few exceptions, Bose is a poor sound value. :frowning:

Rather than write a book (which I could do), I'll try to sum it up as quickly as I can.

1) Go out and compare with music (NOT movies) the Bose setup against the systems listed above. When heard on it's own, the Bose will sound ok. Where it comes up short is in comparison to other setups. Even against much cheaper alternatives. (IMO, Bose does not market a single product that isn't overpriced by at least 30 to 40%.)

2) 5.1 sound from 2 speakers and a woofer? (BTW, the Bose speaker is NOT a subwoofer!) IMPOSSIBLE! Depending on one's seating position, 2 speakers and a woofer can give a psuedo surround sounding effect but it will not be close to a true 5.1 experience.

3) How important is the size and number of speakers? One thing that Bose has become very good at is the "LifeStyle" type of speaker. They have learned that many users value looks over all else. And are willing to pay a premium price for that. Great visual impact vs. great sound... All I can hope for here is to get the prospective purchaser to realize that if he thinks he is getting both together with Bose, go back to #1 and do some comparative listening.

4) The last thing I'll note is the Bose marketing machine. It stands alone. It is without equal in the audio video world. No one does a better job selling their product than Bose. With this in mind, how does this factor into your friends purchasing decision? Only to make him aware that this is where the opinions that Bose is such a good value for the money comes from. Certainly not from experienced, knowledgeable a/v listeners/users.
Now of course, one can find Bose fans all over. But if you really dig down into why they feel this way, you will find (by a LARGE amount) they will admit that they did not compare the Bose against any other decent quality brand (note the comment above in this thread about why comparing Bose against other setups is soooo difficult...even in the same store). And, that when the purchase involved Bose systems using the "cubes", that the physical form factor was a major (if not THE major) thing affecting the purchase.

To wrap up, the Bose 3-2-1 setup will work ok. It's small, unobtrusive and it's a nice all-in-one solution. But if one buys it, be aware that there are better alternatives (sonically and dollar value wise) for less. (IOW, let you wallet and your ears be your guide. Not just your eyes!)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Bose claims it can achieve 5.1 with "sound reflection".

For similar results buy a stereo receiver with an "expanded stereo" option. Its the same thing.

My father bought a 3*2*1 and returned it three days later because it didnt work, you need a perfectly square room to get anything resembling surround effects".

IE: Your friend will better spend his money on a $900 stereo.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I can sum it up in a simple recommendation......

look at the size of the speakers and the speakers you are missing.

I would buy a plastic JBL 5.1 system before a bose.

heck.... tell him to try out some Paradigm cinemas. he wont find something as small as bose so he can get that out of his head. size matters and its gonna be double the size atleast for a decent sound.

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator
Another way to compare speakers is to look at the specs.
Oh ya! Bose doesn't give you the specs, at least not to the extent that everyone else does.
Also, ChrisCan brings up a great point. Would you trust any manufacturer that can't be compared side by side to their competition because they build their own displays.
J

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I am going to Post the $900 Bose advantages.
It's simple.
It's a 1)DVD 2)Receiver 3) 2 speakers "simulating" surround sound 4) No speaker wiring mess
5) It has a subwoofer in addition to the 2 speakers
6) Bose has a great warranty and customer service and you can brag about it to some just not here
7) Considering it's ease and size it's not overpriced

Now I will counter these:
It's simple to get Ron to help him setup this new system.
1)Buy a "better" universal DVD player $100-200 bigger
2)Buy a receiver w/ simulated surround sound or actual surround like a stereo Harman Kardon w/ VMax or an Onkyo TXSR502 $300 bigger
3)Buy 2 "better" speakers simulating surround or 5 of them for real surround $ bigger?
4)Try to tuck and hide the wiring... WAF (can be done)
5)Buy a subwoofer... SVS/HSU blows the budget constraints... good luck
6)Lots of good warranty and customer service oriented companies
7)Bose is always overpriced

Go to Circuit City and listen to the Bose system and others comparable to it in price.

What are the priorities here: size, price, sound...
DIY and refurbs are probably out right?

I am sure Ron has some connections... get him to get you a system ;).

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
$900 system that beats Bose 1-2-3:

Basic DVD player from Samsung or Toshiba - $100
Refurb Onkyo 602 receiver - $300
Dayton 10" sub - $150
Swan 2.1 BC speakers - $300

Total - $850

No surround speakers, but Bose didn't come with those either. This will sound 10x better than Bose.

Dave Lindhorst

Stunt Coordinator
I would suggest showing you buddy some other systems. Talk him out of a system, not. Let him make a decision for himself. Remember he hears things different than you do and a great set of speakers for you is not great for him. Take him out and look at speakers until he finds a system he can live with. It may be a Bose system it may not but why would you want to make a choice or talk him out of a choice he makes. Speakers are the most personable part of any audio system and it is a lot like underwear. Boxers for one fella and thong for another. Have fun looking and ease up on the pressure a little.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ask your friend if he would pay three times as much to drive the same car he drives now? If so, then Bose is for him :D

mikeMarz

Grip
I can't remember where I read this, but someone wrote a review on the Bose system that said they were watching a movie with it and the movie had a lot of dialog. The dialog was difficult to hear because there is no center channel. The sound coming from the tv speakers sounded better. Also, without rear channels, the 5.1 effect is essentially lost, it sounds much less realistic. This review did not even take into effect the way that Bose speakers sound (tinny, etc.) because, as was said, everyone hears things differently.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor

he might want to talk his friend out of a mistake, thats why.

we all know our tastes change or have changed since we started in this hobby. when I started out I didnt listen to the vets, now I wish I did. it would have saved me alot of trouble. thing is.... in this hobby your taste for audio is gonna change. just like a new tooth brush or new pair of sneakers they may or may not feel better than the next. audio is a bit more specific though. he will outgrow his system and along the way more than likely will realize how bad his system is. or even worse have a firend that buys something better, listens and realizes he made a mistake. when it comes to home audio and starting out along the way your taste changes and for the better. usually a recommendation from a friend is some advice a friend should take over his own personal, what he might think is his taste is just a bad decision for lack of experience in the hobby. listen to someone who has been in the hobby a while. I wish I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.