Let's talk the best alternate endings!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred Bang, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Fred Bang

Fred Bang Stunt Coordinator

While watching Fatal Attraction on DVD yesterday, I was amazed how the Alternate ending (spoiler) fits
    more into the context of the movie:
    Alex Forrest commits suicide, and Michael Douglas gets arrested for her murder

instead of the slasher ending:
    Alex Forrest tries to kill the wife, eventually gets killed.

I guess the prescreening affected the decision to put a more "exciting" ending.
    The ending of the Abyss: Special Edition also has much much more meaning than the theatrical cut.
    Any other examples?

2. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

Army of Darkness. The original ending was entirely different...and I think I prefer it's dark overtones to the final version's "happier" ending...

3. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
    Blade Runner - The Director's Cut - dont see to many complaints about not getting the original theatrical version to this [​IMG]

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Clerks. I still find the alternate ending more fitting.

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

To me the two best will never be seen.

First there's the gas chamber ending to Double Indemnity. Filmed, but most likely lost forever, although some stills exist.

Then there's the unfilmed ending to Suspicion. Hitch wanted it, but was vetoed by those who didn't want Grant to be portrayed as a killer
    . So, instead of the current ending in which Grant is innocent and actually saves her life
    , we could have had one in which he hands her a poisoned glass of milk, and she asks him to mail a letter for her. She drinks the milk and he leaves. She dies, and as he goes on his way, he drops the letter in the mail without thinking anything of it. Of course, it's a letter to her mother telling her that he is trying to kill her
    . To me that would have turned a very good, but second tier Hitch film into a top tier one ranking with his very best of that period.

6. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    I don't know about you, but the original ending to "Little Shop of Horrors" is also more in tone with the rest of the movie. Although the actual ending that is in the movie now is still great, the alternate ending gets a slight edge because in its own right, it is sad and devilish at the same time.

Anyone who owns the original "Little Shop of Horrors" disc from 1998, hold onto it. The ending is the main reason why the disc is simply worth the money, although when I found it at Suncoast in July 2000, I bought even though I didn't have a DVD player becuase I felt it would be better paying $25 instead of $250 after I did buy a DVD player. Incidently, I bought a $100 DVD Player in November 2000

7. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

The alternate ending in Die Hard: With a Vengeance is one of the best IMO.

8. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

The new, changed ending that IS in the final cut of the movie The Tailor of Panama starring anti-Bond Pierce Brosnan. One of my top10 favorites and I'm so glad they didn't go with the "happy" ending which is included on the DVD.
    Check it out, great commentary and a long interview as well.

9. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Can't think of a great alternate right now, though I'm sure I will later. But I am glad for an alternate ending that didn't make it into the film...the one for The Exorcist. That conversation between Lt. Kinderman and Father Dyer was a complete rip-off of the final scene in Casablanca and made me want to puke!

10. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

I hate the alternate ending of Clerks. It's much less mature than the rest of the film; too easy, too out of character, too much shock for shock's sake. The best decision of Kevin Smith's career was to cut it.

11. Fred Bang

Fred Bang Stunt Coordinator

How about the cut scene in ALien where Ripley

Finds the xenomorph's nest with Dallas, and the other crew (alive), and burns them.

That would have thrown the Queen/eggs reproduction of James Cameron through the window!

12. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    I'd cast my vote with The Abyss as well.

13. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

I didn't particularly like The Abyss' alternate ending.

The underwater species struck me as hypocritical, threatening to wipe out mankind with a tidal wave and justifying it by showing stock footage of human-wrought calamity. We're supposed to take it for granted that humanity warrants destruction based on scenes of violence without a moral context? The underwater species was about to commit an enormous act of violence, so they obviously feel that some destruction is justified. It all depends on context, which their video presentation was devoid of.

The theatrical release was better, in my opinion.

14. Sam R. Aucoin

Sam R. Aucoin Stunt Coordinator

Fred:

(spoilers ahead)

Regarding Fatal Attraction, my wife and I watched the special features after the movie this past weekend, and the producers specifically said that the new ending was done, over Close's vehement objections, based SOLELY on the response of the test audiences, who simply did not like the idea of Close killing herself rather than being killed by a protagonist such as the wife. They said that in some instances, the audience actually cheered when the wife took the phone and told the Close character that if she ever came near her family again, she would kill her.

Regards,

Sam

15. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

I found the alternate ending on the Barcelona DVD to be pretty funny. I'm not sure I would necessarily like to have it replace the theatrical ending, but I really enjoyed getting to see it.