lets talk...Takashi Miike (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Keith M., Aug 21, 2003.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

im thinking of checking out some of his movies...namely Audition and Dead or Alive(uncut)

anyone seen these?? are they any good???

2. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

AUDITION is a disturbing masterpiece, and is also one of the best films of the last 20 years. Seriously, the film is just breathtaking! I recommend it to the highest extent!

3. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    I think that Audition is a fantastic film, and worth at least watching once. I've lost count of how many people I've conviced to buy this movie.

As for Dead or Alive, I thought that it was really dumb, and other than the fun ending, I can't recommend even taking the time to watch it.

4. Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R Stunt Coordinator

Dead or Alive is a fantastic film, and remains the favorite of the 3 Miike films I've seen. It has an incredible punk energy to it, like Wild Zero, or Electric Dragon 80,000v. I also recommend The Happiness of the Katakuris. You've never seen a musical quite like it. The R1 dvd is outstanding.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Audition is fantastic, and I'm a big fan of The Happiness Of The Katakuris. Dead Or Alive is two absolutely great sequences wrapped around a decent crime movie.

Didn't much like Ichi The Killer - just too nasty even though there something interesting underneath - but Fudoh is a guilty pleasure. Nearly as nutty as Katakuris.

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I must continue the praise for Audition. One of the best films I've seen in quite some time, but it is very disturbing, although not as much for me as it is for others.

7. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I would post this in the Movie forum, you'd get better response. As for movies, I personally found Audition to gruesome for my tastes, but nearly as bad as Ichi. As long as you have a solid constitution, you should be alright.

8. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Audition is a wonderful movie, and it is a nice DVD release.
    I have 2 other Miike disks:
    Fudoh: The Next Generation - another wacky movie, and
    City of Lost Souls - Another good bizarre movie
    Haven't seen any others yet but I would like to track down Ichii, DOA, Happiness, and whatver other Miike goodness rears it's head...
    i hear he's doing a samurai movie with Takeshi Kitano (joy!)

9. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

Which is the *real* Ichi The Killer dvd?

10. Sean Ashley

Sean Ashley Extra

i've got the following miike movies...
    Fudoh
    Full metal goduko
    blues harp
    shinjuku triad society
    rainy dog
    ley lines
    dead or alive 1, 2 & 3
    city of lost souls (aka hazard city)
    audition
    the happiness of the katakuris
    visitor q
    ichi the killer
    the agitator

i really cannot praise him highly enough..IMHO he is the only director working today where you honestly dont know whats going to happen next...his films really are a wild ride. but having said that he can also make "straight forward" (i hate using that term) genre pics...and some of his best movies are actually very touching and melancholic (like ley lines or DOA 2 which are probably my two faves)
    audition is a good place to start i guess...it'll give you a good idea of where he's coming from..but please dont think that it is representative of all his movies.
    if you have a region free player you can get a good selection of his movies from the UK on R2 that havent been released in R1 yet.
    blackstar.co.uk

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

First, you should definitely get into Miike. Love it or hate it, you've probably not seen anything like it!

I'm not familiar enough with his Yakuza films (or the genre) to comment, so I'll leave that to others. Here are my recommendations:

AUDITION -- my favorite and probably the most fully-realized and masterful of all Miike's movies. Unfortunately, you probably already know too much about this one. Don't read anything more about it (not even the brief descriptions in this thread). Just see it. ...kirri...kirri...kirri....

THE HAPPINESS OF THE KATSAKURIS -- simply hilarious. The only Miike movie I'd watch with my mom, even though there would still be a few scenes of discomfort (and I doubt she'd much appreciate the humor). Watch this when you want to see some seriously wacky, seriously silly humor. Poooooochiiiieeeee!

VISITOR Q -- the last Miike movie I'd watch with my mom (or respectable company of any stripe). Probably the most taboo-laden movie I've ever seen, with something to offend anyone's taste (and I don't just mean the various and ubiquitous bodily wastes and fluids). Surprisingly, however, it turns out to be a fairly moving tribute to the traditional family... uh, sorta. Hilariously satiric and offensively scatalogical, but charming and affecting in a truly bizarre way (even for Miike), I give a cautious recommendation for anyone not easily offended by highly taboo material. And don't let the video nature of this "film" be a detraction--it's a very nice transfer and every bit as visually compelling as any Miike film.

12. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I've only seen Ichi the Killer, which is enough to convince me that I should probably watch more Miike. Incredibly grusome, but hysterically so, there is a video game sensibility to the violence in the film that is quite intriging but never directly addressed by the film.

13. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

wow!! Didnt realize how popular he was! Thanks for all the suggestions...

I will definetly pick up Audition and Dead or Alive.

Thanks...

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I don't know as Miike is actually popular, but those of us who've seen his films certainly have them seared into our brains. Even Ichi The Killer, which I didn't like much at all (I think I gave it 1.5 stars in the alternathread), has elements that mark it as something by a major talent and makes a strong impression.

I must admit, though, that I'm glad I live in an area where I've gotten to see the five Miike films I have in theaters. It's somewhat reassuring to be an audience so that you don't feel like a complete wack-job for enjoying these movies.

15. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

Here's another vote for both AUDITION and THE HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS. I recently saw GRAVEYARD OF HONOR and SHANGRI-LA on the big screen and the man continues to impress.

16. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

For those who are interested,THE HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS is on the Sundance Channel tonight at 11pm (est) and AUDITION is on next Friday at the same time. They are going to show THE HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS a few more times over the coming week, if you want to know the times, check out Sundance Channel's website.

17. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

Audition is the only one I've seen, and I thought it was great. Miike has a very good grip on nightmare logic as a horror device, which reminded me of Lynch.

"Kiri kiri kiri" is one of the most memorable lines ever.

18. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I've only seen The Happiness of the Katakuris and thought it was hilarious. Definitely better seeing this with an audience if possible. (I caught it theatrically, as part of a Culture Shock series.) Truly wacked out and stranger than even the descriptions led me to believe.

19. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I'd also recommend Happiness of the Katakuris and Audition. These are the only two we have, but I'd like to get a few more of his films. We have the R3 of Katakuris--is the R1 version worth an upgrade?

I've been itching to watch Audition again, but my wife won't let me watch it if she's even in the house. She loves thrillers and horror movies, and while she felt it was a great movie, it was disturbing enough that she doesn't even want the DVD in the house anymore. If you have any desire to see this, do your best to not know anything about it going in. I was first turned on to it by reviews that basically said, "I loved it, it will mess you up ("hit you like a sledgehammer" is a quote I read in several reviews), don't read a thing about it before seeing it. Luckily, I only knew the scant basics before seeing it, so nothing was really ruined for me. It's a powerfully disturbing kick in the head, and highly recommended.

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor