lets talk shenmue2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Oct 30, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

xbox official mag gave it 7.6.

the complaints were all about the graphics, voice over and control issue.

graphics - dreamcast quality
    voice over - stiff
    control - analog makes it hard for QTE

well i still want the game though.

( panzer dragoon orta got 9.3)

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I thought you didn't buy any games that got less than 9/10, Felix?

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

4. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

BrianB you are too funny, and true.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Personally, I just received the Euro DC release a month or so ago, so I've got nothing more than a passing interest in the XBox release - obviously, I want it to do well for the good of the series, but I'm not about to buy it again. All of the 'complaints' I've seen against the Xbox port pretty much are there for the DC games... Shenmue isn't for everyone (Hello, Morgan!).

I'm sure, like the DC original, EB will be flooded with s/h copies not long after its release on the XBox - if you're curious about the game, it may be worthwhile waiting for a cheaper s/h copy.

6. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I don't want to say something blasphemous but one of the reasons I have been looking forward to the X-box version is the English Dub.

I try to watch all films in their original language but with a game like Shenmue I think not having it in English causes you to lose a sense of being the main character.

As far as realism in the second game Chinese characters speak Japanese so having them speak English isn't any worse. Plus everyone complains about the quality but I bet if you were fluent in Japanese you would think the same thing about the original Japanese. With a videogame with this much speech I think a certain amount of cheese is unavoidable.

At any rate I still wish they were able to fit both Japanese and English in this release though I understand why that may have been unfeasible.

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I think some of the criticism of the games graphic engine is totally unwarranted. I still think the original Shenmue still holds its own with the best looking games out today. The polygon count may not be as high as a game like Halo but there is much more going on in Shenmue.

9. Jeff Kleist

10. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i am still buying the game, because what do you think its score is if xbox official magazine people played it on dreamcast for the first time?

11. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Am I the only one that likes bad voice acting?

12. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

What I really want to know is, how about that box art? What is the final word on how it looks? I recall a thread some months ago that displayed some bizzare depiction of Ryo.

From what I'm hearing in this thread, it (at least) sounds like the Xbox version is not considerably enhanced, graphics-wise, over it's DC counterpart. I think a lot of Xbox owners were hoping for a version of Shenmue 2 that bested the original release in every way. Add the issue of enlish-dub-only, and I don't know, I am disappointed by this news.

Fortunately I also have the European release. I've played through about 2/3 of the game (haven't had much time to play it) and for people who are already fans of the series, it is truly wonderful. I've spent most of my time playing Outrun in the local arcade, and I've nearly forgotten about the fact that I need to earn a fortune for the thugs at the harbor.

~j

13. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

okay, so once everyone is done talking about box art and voice acting maybe we'll talk about the game. my copy is waiting for me at home.

14. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

Does the Xbox version eliminate the framerate issues that plagued the DC sequel?

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

16. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

As a fan of the first, I'm looking forward to playing this. My game funds are all dried up for now, but this bad boy will be on my XMAS list.

For those who played the DC version, how long did it take to complete? That's the other reason I'm going to hold off, the first one took me a long time to finish, so I'd like to play the 2nd over my break from school.

And do you get to drive forklifts again?

17. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I don't think you get to drive forklifts this time. It's funny how many people say that was their favorite thing to do in Shenmue. It was strangely satisfying...it's hard to explain that. I think the real question is...is Ryo still hung up on finding the sailor hangouts? [​IMG]
    Add me to the list of "I will be buying this one when I find it on sale or used" people. I'm trying to do that with more of my games these days.
    -Dan

18. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

19. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

Got the game today, and i am loving it! I honestly cant compare it to the dreamcast version, as i have never played it, but it is not up to the level of the top xbox games. Doesnt really matter though, as it does look pretty good (especially considering it wasnt overhauled), and i am already additcted .. just got to the arcade with outrun and space harrier. Hope i can save some of my money. No slowdown so far. Loading times are farily quick, and shouldnt really be a bother. You can customise the control to use either the dpad to move around and the analog stick(s) to look around (the r trigger makes him run, the L trigger zooms in on what ryo is looking at. Or use the analog stick(s) to move (of course with that you no longer need to worry about the trigger to run (my preferred setup). Had a couple of qte's so far and got in 3 fights (same crew.lost the first 2 times... got my hind end handed to me). cant wait to see whats in store... any q's just ask. by the way..the front cover of the box, not sure how to post pics or links here.. go to electronics botiques website and look at the shenmue 2 strategy guide cover.. thats what the box art looks like. [​IMG]

20. Jeff Kleist