1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk power amplifiers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Peddle, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I'd like to learn more about power amplifiers. I am looking to buy a two channel amp to run my front mains (Paradigms Mon7v2s, but soon to be upgraded to either Studio 60/100s or PSB Stratus Silver/Gold).
    I want to improve my ROCK music listening. I play my music at very high levels, but I am not a ROLLERBOOMER (that has become my favorite word as of late.)
    Anyhoo, I'd like to know information about power ratings as it pertains to improving sound reproduction. (ei; 100watts, vs 125 watts vs 200 watts). I know the whole "double the power, 3db fact). What I want to know is why I would buy a $2000 125w X 2 when I can buy a $700 200w X 2?
    What does a THD rating have to do with the sound reproduction? Ya know, 0.09% vs 0.00003%?
    Any info or experience in buy and listening would be greatly appreciated.
    Ryan P
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

3. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Thanks, that answered a few of my many questions. Loud and Clean is what I want...but I don't want it loud, I want it LOUD!!!
    Do you know where the Rock topic is...what forum...I did a search and couldn't find anything. Just wanna find out as much info as possible.
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

4. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Hello Ryan,I too like very loud music. First off what kind of speakers do you own? , This is important because you can only feed them so much power.
    Most amps have very low THD levels so I would'nt worry about it. What you need to look for are the amps output at 8,4 and 2ohms the best amps double the output when the impedence is halved. However most amps don't do this, if the amp has a 2ohm rating at all you are in pretty good shape.
    you said...
    What I want to know is why I would buy a $2000 125w X 2 when I can buy a $700 200w X 2?
    >>>>>
    In most cases I don't know the answer to that one either, in my opinion a power amp needs to take the input signal and amplify it without adding or taking away anything, if it can do that then its a good amp.
    I use a 450wattx2 amp for my main speakers and they are only $500 ea... its a QSC USA 900http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/usa/usaintro.htm
    To my ears its sounds as good or better than any amp I have ever heard.
    If you do not want to try a pro amp then Adcom, NAD , Parasound and Amthem makes fairly decent amps that are not too expensive but won't put out nearly as much power as a pro amp.
    One thing about pro amps is that most of them have fans so you might hear it run during quieter passages of your music, personally they don't bother me abit.

5. Charbel

Charbel Agent

I can tell you my experience albeit a short one, I have Paradigm Studio 40`s and 100wpc Onkyo txds 787 receiver and that`s not enough for me. I like it loud as well. I`m looking into the Parasound HCA 2205 200+ wpc.
    So if your getting the 60`s or 100`s you BETTER get some ample watts. Just my newbie experience. Good Luck BTW I hear that the Studios and Parasound combos well.