Let's Talk Humidifiers/Vaporizers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd K, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Hello HTFers,

This is where the diversity of this group can come in handy, I think. This time, I have a health related question to ask.

Can anyone recommend a good type of personal humidifier/vaporizer to buy? I have serious breathing/dry mouth problems at night, and want to purchase one to alleviate the problem.

I've done a lot of web research and the results are inconclusive. It seems humidifiers work with cold air and vaporizers with hot air, yet I have seen mention of cool mist vaporizers. They also say cold air models are much more prone to bacteria and need constant cleaning. I've also heard talk on ultrasonic models. Hot air models run the risk of scalding if you are careless, but if I knew a hot air job would work better I would buy that one.

Basically I'd like to use this at night while I sleep. Has anyone (perhaps those with young children) had problems with too much humidity damaging the surrounding area? I've seen people argue back and forth that one type does more water damage to property than the other.

To summarize, I'd like to hear people's opinions on what type of humidifying devices they've dealt with, and any problems they've had (such as waking up to find everything wet).

Thanks,
    Todd K.

2. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I used one for years growing up.....several different brands, but always the small kind, rather than those big roll around jobs you find in people's basements sometimes.
    Proper placement should ensure that nothing important gets wet/damp. I had no damage at all from one. But, yes, they need constant cleaning....

3. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I got one from Wal-Mart, made by Rubitussin or something - apparently a division of Honeywell. It cost just $ 20, and it still works, apart from needing a new filter. I used it for my dorm room, and was told i have very kissable lips in the winter.
    (NOT!) [​IMG]

4. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    I have had several. Right now I have a Honeywell "Warm Mist Humidifier" (basically a vaporizer). It is the best I've used. It has a humidity control and automatically shuts off when it is out of water.

I prefer a vaporizer over a cold mist humidifier because the cold mist aggravates my asthma.

Which ever you use, I would recommend using distilled water if you can. Otherwise you will get crud build-up on the element, and it is a real pain to clean.

5. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Craig, can you tell me some sources of distilled water? Its interesting that it'll reduce the buildup.

6. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Craig,

You report is encouraging. When you say it has a humidity control, does that mean it goes on or off when the air reaches a certain humidity level?

Also, was it very noisy? I'd want to use mine in the bedroom when I'm asleep.

If you could provide a model number or some other identifier, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again, everyone,
    Todd

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Yeah, try to use distilled water as much as possible! The crud from hard water deposits will kill the vaporizer/mister!

The problem with vaporizers is the heat they put out, which would make hot summers very very uncomfortable!

8. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig