What's new

Let's Talk Headphones (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. Wired headphones might not be a dealbreaker...but there is a definite attraction to the wireless.

These two goofballs ALWAYS find the cords (mostly laptop AC cords...but also those rare times I hook up my laptop to my TV, etc.). They don't chew on them, they just lay on them or trip over them.

full

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I could always get a long enough cable so that it's pretty much laying flat on the ground when the headphones were in-use, but my seating is directly opposite from my TV/receiver/etc. and there is a major traffic path that goes in-between. :laugh:

That's why I thought the wireless would make sense. It would be easy to get an adapter for the 1/4" jack on the receiver to connect to the mini-plug on the transmitter cord.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Guys...thanks for your responses.

I pulled the trigger on the Sennheiser RS 175s. I decided cordless just makes sense for my use and they certainly get good grades in most places I could find reviews.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts on them here after I've got them up and running.

Assuming the wireless base will take an analog input via a 3.5mm jack, I would simply get a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter and use the receiver's headphone out. If your Denon works like mine, it's not outputting audio to the Panny via HDMI and you'd have to go into the Denon setup menu to turn on HDMI audio out every time since turning on HDMI audio out turns off the amplifier (at least it does on my Denon).

I've got some other cables I need to get...so I'm going to place an order with Monoprice and get every single kind of adapter I can think of to make sure I'm covered.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Sennheiser HD650 cans. Fiio E7/E9 amp/dac combo in the TV room and Objective2+ODAC in the theater room. They see light usage for when I dont want to disturb the neighbors on the next block over...:laugh:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Guys...thanks for your responses.

I pulled the trigger on the Sennheiser RS 175s. I decided cordless just makes sense for my use and they certainly get good grades in most places I could find reviews.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts on them here after I've got them up and running.

I've got some other cables I need to get...so I'm going to place an order with Monoprice and get every single kind of adapter I can think of to make sure I'm covered.

Assuming the wireless base will take an analog input via a 3.5mm jack, I would simply get a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter and use the receiver's headphone out. If your Denon works like mine, it's not outputting audio to the Panny via HDMI and you'd have to go into the Denon setup menu to turn on HDMI audio out every time since turning on HDMI audio out turns off the amplifier (at least it does on my Denon).

EDIT - in which case, you might just as well go with a wired headphone unless your equipment and seating aren't conducive to it.

So far, so good. But when I've got them turned up loud, the audio leaks into the room. I'll have to be aware of that so as not to disturb Peg while I'm working.

Peter: As you suspected, I ended up using the 1/4" plug to 3.5mm adapter. None of the other connections seemed to work--although I didn't check to see if I needed to change some of the receiver's settings to get them to work. But using the receiver's headphone jack makes it especially easy for me as the simple act of plugging in the 1/4" plug also mutes the speakers and sub. Easy peasy.

But outside of the leakage, the headphones work great. I love everything about them. They are comfortable and sound great (as far as I'm concerned). No issues with the wireless. And the charger stand works great. I ordered cloth ear pads (made for the RS 185s, but fit the 175s perfectly). The cloth is supposed to lessen any overheating or discomfort that comes from wearing the headphones for a couple hours. And the various buttons mounted on the right ear cup (for volume, bass control, faux surround modes) are intuitive and easy to find and use.

And, honestly, I think the wireless was a smart way to go in terms of the traffic patterns between me and my HT gear.

71wj3iAdCbL._SL1500_.jpg

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
So far, so good. But when I've got them turned up loud, the audio leaks into the room. I'll have to be aware of that so as not to disturb Peg while I'm working.

Peter: As you suspected, I ended up using the 1/4" plug to 3.5mm adapter. None of the other connections seemed to work--although I didn't check to see if I needed to change some of the receiver's settings to get them to work. But using the receiver's headphone jack makes it especially easy for me as the simple act of plugging in the 1/4" plug also mutes the speakers and sub. Easy peasy.

But outside of the leakage, the headphones work great. I love everything about them. They are comfortable and sound great (as far as I'm concerned). No issues with the wireless. And the charger stand works great. I ordered cloth ear pads (made for the RS 185s, but fit the 175s perfectly). The cloth is supposed to lessen any overheating or discomfort that comes from wearing the headphones for a couple hours. And the various buttons mounted on the right ear cup (for volume, bass control, faux surround modes) are intuitive and easy to find and use.

And, honestly, I think the wireless was a smart way to go in terms of the traffic patterns between me and my HT gear.

Mike I have this pair of headphones coming later this afternoon, thanks for buying it first and posting here LOL. I know this is NOT true 5.1 Surround, but I have never had that to begin with and this will be my first attempt hearing it in my apartment, do you pick up any of the "surround-ness" as you have been using these? I'm trying to decide what my first movie would be to listen with these and the 5.1 turned on.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve:

They sound really, really good. But I've only been using the stereo setting for 99.9% of my listening. There have been a couple of times when i accidentally pushed the "faux surround setting" when meaning to adjust the volume and I thought the audio sounded a little "weird." I just put it back and thought the stereo setting was more direct and clear. With the audio being so "close" and intense, it is totally enveloping enough for me. But your perception might be completely different from mine. I'll be anxious to hear what you think.

One other comment. The first movie I watched using these was Bohemian Rhapsody and I reported that Peg let me know afterwards that she was very aware of the music as I watched. But I think that was a case of having them cranked more than necessary combined with Peg's awareness and familiarity with the music and what I was watching. I have since watched a number of other films with her in the next room--The Mule, Equalizer 2 and Skyscraper. In our discussions afterwards, she said she wasn't even aware I was watching a film and there was no evidence of the film soundtrack leaking into the room.

I placed my charging station out-of-sight right behind my plasma. This makes it easy to have the headphone plug right where its needed to engage the headphones and mute my speakers. And having the headphones right where they are supposed to be (and fully charged) when needed is all a bonus--kinda like knowing where my Harmony Remote is (because of its charging dock).

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
Mike, thanks for the thoughts on how they sound. Amazon refused to leave it at my door yesterday but after chatting with CS they promise it will be today so I haven't had a chance to try mine out yet. I can't lie: the thought of hearing a movie in 5.1 in headphones I know is a bit of a stretch but one day.....yep one day I'll experience it LOL. Glad to know that they give a really good stereo and I look forward to some great viewing AND having the windows open with fresh air.
Oh and I haven't decided yet, but I may end up putting one of the Blu Ray box set Rush concerts on as my first and play with the stereo/5.1 setting to see what I get.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I have been super happy with my Sennheiser wireless. I am impressed not only with the very good sound quality, but the range is great, I can go anywhere in the house and yard - including taking the garbage cans to the curb without losing signal, and if I am grilling by myself out back it is nice to have some tunes without worrying about bothering the neighbors. I have a family member who works a very early shift so goes to bed early, so they have been very useful in that regard. And this may sound funny - but now I can do the dishes and hear the TV without turning it up to THX level. Of course, for real home theater viewing I use the sound system, but for casual TV watching and late night use they are better than I imagined.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
So I got everything setup and charged and the first thing I threw in was Rush's Snakes and Arrow concert Blu ray and OMG!!! Now to put this in perspective I have lived a life of stereo, so the first thing I did was turn on the surround to high setting and start with Limelight and the sound was so encompassing and the bass is very good and full. Once I caught my breath I wanted to hear the difference so I turned surround off to regular stereo, and as soon as I did the "all around" feel was gone - sound and bass was still good, but no...nope I turned the surround back on high and finished out the concert loving every second. Yeah I know it's not complete, full, true 5.1 but for a headphone option I am very happy LOL.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
Just wanted to post a update, I really like these headphones. I watched Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense using the 5.1 track and with the high setting for the headphones and I could hear how the music was in the "front" 2/3s and the crowd noise was in the lower back part of the ear pieces, and it really was a cool experience. Of course the down side to all this is I started looking at buying other 5.1 Blu ray concerts and spending more money LOL. I did end up with Nine Inch Nails - Beside You In Time and Alan Parson Project Symphony Live.
On the pure stereo side watching tv shows - sounds nice and solid with really good bass and that is also with the extra bass setting off.

I know there are quite a few concerts on YouTube, but not in 5.1, does anyone know if there is a streaming service that actually uses 5.1?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's been almost two years now that I've had the wireless Sennheiser 175s.

I have been getting a fair amount of use from them the past several months as I have been binging the TV series Mr. Robot and need to have things quiet when Peg is writing. I watched all four seasons in a few month's time and Peg isn;t into that type of show.

I am still quite pleased with them. About the only downside is that very occasionally I'll have a quick half-second dropout in my audio. I have no idea why. I assume its got something to do with the wireless aspect of the headphones. Whenever I get two or three of those during the same session, I simply move the transmitter (which resides behind my plasma screen) and it goes away.

I just asked Peg for her opinion of the headphones. She has never worn them...but says when she has been working and I've been wearing them she has rarely heard any sound from them. (That anecdote I told about watching Bohemian Rhapsody after I first got them seems to be an outlier. I also figured I shouldn't be wearing them and playing them too loud! :D ). So she says they are working out exactly as we had hoped.

And I think I was smart to get wireless because I am sure there would have been times the dogs would have gotten tangled up in headphone wires. I know this because 1.) they tend to often get tangled up in the power cords of our laptops, and 2.) my 12-year old Golden Retriever Ernie doesn't see very well, and 3.) my younger Golden Retriever Pete sees just fine but can get manic and break the rule about "no running inside the house."

SO, just a post to say that the headphones are totally performing as hoped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks