What's new

Lets talk Gears Of War (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Think it will live up to the hype?
Observations from those who have played any demo's?
Will their be any sort of special edition (steel case or bonus making of DVD, etc)?

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
They have put so much hype on this game I just don't see how it can live up to it even if it is great. All the coverage I have read has been positive but seeing is believing and I am anxiously waiting for this game.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Hi Dean,

I'm unsure whether this game will live up to the hype. I say that because there have been so many games which have failed to do so and many games with no hype which turned out to be great. That said, what I have seen certainly looks fantastic! And yes, there will be a special edition for sale (for ten bucks more) - see ebgames.com. However, I'm unsure what it comes with. A steel case would be nice (ala Halo 2).

I'm also looking forward to Call of Duty 3 and Splinter Cell 4. There are a few others I'd like to check out as well, but none as much as the aforementioned three.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I already have the special edition pre-ordered. It comes with the tin, making-of DVD and a hardcover book titled 'Destroyed Beauty' that was handed out at E3 2005 when the game was introduced. The book contains design artwork for Sera, the characters, weapons, etc and gives the background story. I have the scans from the book saved already but the having the actual book alone was worth the extra $10 by itself.

I'm a little worried that the gameplay won't live up to my expectations either but everything else (story, art design, etc.) looks awesome.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
pre ordered the special edition from amazon! now less than a week away, so i figure this thread needed a bump!

EricW

Senior HTF Member
is this game going to have the online multiplayer co-op as good as GRAW?

They're definitely pushing the co-op side of the game so I have high hopes. I'm another with a paid off preorder just waitin' for the call.

RichardK

Second Unit
Reviews are out at the usual suspect sites and GOW is scoring exceptionally well.

I plan to pick the game up tonight.
c ya online.

XBLGT = RICHUT96

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i'm picking up this game this weekend. see you guys online!

tag: DAYWOKKER (the asian Blade) :)

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Its pretty fun started on training seeing how I wanted to try some COD3 will try some multiplayer tonite and see how it plays

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Cancled my Amazon.com order (they had not even shipped it yet) and picked up my Limited Collector's Ed at Walmart tonight! Have a feeling I'm gonna be up for a while tonight.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

So, how is it (actual play, not hype)?

Any XBox 360 game that ties Oblivion for the top rating score so far (9.6 out of 10) gets my attention. I ordered the collector's edition (looks like the extra $10 is worth it) and, while I'm not in a rush to get started (lots of other stuff on my plate) I always like to hear from users rather than just reviewers.

Does it play as advertised?

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
I played it for the first time last night and I can tell you that it is DEFINITELY worth the hype.

I joined up to a friend's game for co-op (nice how you can invite a friend to join into your single-player game; no backing out to menus or separate co-op experience) and after playing for only a short time I soon thought to myself, "Now THIS is next-generation."

The best game for the 360, hands down, and that's just after a night. All my other games, including Oblivion, better get used to collecting dust for a while.

I had my reservations about the game. Duck and cover, is that all it is? C'mon, I like Halo-type action. Well, it IS Halo-type action. Cinematic, immersive, beautiful, action-packed. It's got smart enemy AI, the graphics are unbelievable, the gameplay (after a short period to familiarize yourself with the controls) feels natural, the environments are extremely impressive, and the battles are intense. Hell, just running looks cooler than anything I've seen before.

And then there's co-op. This game was made to play with a friend, especially when you're both experiencing it for the first time together. Figuring out what to do, tactics, flanking the enemy, teamwork, having to revive each other, separating at times...mixed in with a whole lot of surprise, panic, confusion and screaming.

This is a WINNER. Get it now. And play it in hardcore. It's worth it.

And I haven't even tried the multiplayer yet.

Gamertag is Markusschmarkus.

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
^^I agree with everything he said.^^

If you don't own Gears of War you are seriously missing out on one of the best games I've ever played.

Brion

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Thank you for the comments, Gents. Looks like this game is going to be extremely interesting (should arrive tomorrow). Lots of great games recently and coming down the pike. Also, don't count out Oblivion just yet since the Knights of the Nine plug-in comes out on 11/21.

And my Wii bundle will be here by then too.

So many games and systems.
So little time.

(and I'm retired!)

:laugh: :laugh:

Brent T

Second Unit
WOW do I love this game. I picked GOW and COD3 up on Wed and I havent put COD in yet.

The multi-player is very good (even though I suck) though the maps are very limited.

The only problem I have had, was having my friends join for co-op games. We cant seem to connect. We don't have issues playing Madden so I am stumped. Not sure if its an issue on my end or not but I will be looking into it this weekend.

Simply put, if you own a 360 its a must buy, If don't own a 360 you own one you have two legit NEXT GEN games worth buying

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
I love the game too, though it did take some time to adjust to the controls. And as such, I was having just a bit of trouble advancing in the game. Because of that, I wasn't immediately having that "best game ever!' feeling. I only say this because some people may experience the same kind of reaction to Gears. But stick with it, because when you become familiar and adept at the game, you will find it extrememly rewarding, addictive, and fun.

I absolutely love the game now. This has to be considered neck and neck with Oblivion for Game of the Year.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
have played it for about 20 minutes... have to get used to it but EASILY the best graphic of any game so far. is there anyway to 'switch hands' and move the guy from the bottom left to the bottom right as per GRAW?

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I played this co-op with a bud last night for hours and it was a blast. I agree, the controls take a bit to get used to but pretty intuitive after some practice. I also agree that "Hardcore" is the way to go. There are some tight spots with this level of difficulty but it is worth it. Save points are spaced nicely with big-bad firefights so when you do die (and it will happen) you only go back to the beginning of a particular section, not the "level."

Level design is outstanding. Nice mix of tight rooms and wide-open spaces littered with cover. Nicely paced introductions to bad-guy types, too. Just as you get comfortable with one type of bad guy they throw in another and then another and mix them up effectively. Smart AI on most counts. There are some dumb ones but that is more true to the individual creature, not lack of programming. They will flank you if the terrain is able to accomodate that.

Mark is totally correct about the co-op. I was having problems with my headset last night, without my knowledge. I sent an invite to my bud and he was in and playing the game for 10 minutes before he sent me a chat request saying he couldn't hear me. I had NO idea. He was just there and playing as if he was always there. Perfect. Once I had messed with the headset a bit it was on and all was well. It was a great way to play. I am not sure how it plays out tonight if he is not on. Will I start where we left off? Will he, since I hosted the game?

On weapons, nothing too out of bounds for a typical shooter. Machine guns, pistols, rocket launcher, sniper rifle. What spices it up is a little re-loading mechanic. When out of ammo, the gun reloads as it does in any game. There is a little slider that moves like a golf-game swing meter with a clearly marked sweet spot. Hit the RB when in the sweet spot and you get a fast reload. Hit it in the sweetest spot (a line in the sweet spot) and you get a fast reload and better ammo for that clip. Kind of neat. It is a requirement to do this and be effective with the sniper rifle as it is a one shot weapon with a slow reload if left alone. This might be nice in multiplayer where the sniper rifle can be very annoying in other games.

While I loved the chainsaw at the end of the main gun, it sometimes didn't work as I would think. I had to time it right to use it. Maybe this is so it, too, isn't too powerful as it is bad ass when it works right. That is about the only complaint about this fine, fine game.

Two greats in two weeks, as I also got Marvel Ultimate Alliance which is just fantastic, as well. This is, without a doubt, a great month of gaming.

I look forward to anyone who can post on the multiplayer for Gears. I don't think I will be trying it for a while because the main game is engrossing. My bud had been on before me trying it and he said it was really tough. Some dudes already have mastered it and smoked him. I hope it isn't too unbalanced.

If anyone wants to do multiplayer, I am BonnyFil on Live.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
is anyone getting blue shadows/silhouettes in the graphics? it happens a little more when the game is rendering far-off objects, occasionally it happens on the foreground characters. just wondering (i've never had this happen on any other game before). i'm playing on with the 1080i setting, monster components, 56" JVC HD-ILA set.

edit - seems to have been a connection issue. i just wiggled the cable connection in a little harder at the back of the xbox, everything looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks