JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd give it a try Shane. I have to admit, I am not familiar with wheat beers, so it took me a bit by surprise. It is so light and fruity, I'm sure a lot of beer drinkers must frown on it.

For those interested, here is where the New Belgium site says their beers are available...

"Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Arkansas and northern California."

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if this is a cause for celebration for anybody else, but my local Liquor Barns now carry Shiner Bock. I like it quite a bit. Any other suggestions for good Bock beer?

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Dome, being from Louisville myself, you should be ashamed walking into a Liquor Barn and buying Shiner Bock with all the other great beer they have!!!!

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Here are the beers that I tried 2 weekends ago. I tried most of the ones on this list plus 2-3 'hidden' beers and a collaborator brew. Some of my favs (note that links to each brewery's website is linked above):
Racer X - Bear Republic
Bayern Trout Slayer - Bayern
Black Gold Imperial Stout - Full Sail
Gruit Kolsch - Roots
Pliny the Elder - Russian River brewing
Blonde Bombshell - Cascade Lakes
Titan IPA - Great Divide
Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema - Anderson Valley
Nathan and others:
If you like Racer X and the Titan IPA then you should definitely try Pliny the Elder from Russian River brewing... they are all very bitter and contain tons of hops/flavor.
If you guys have any questions about the brews on the linked website let me know and I'll jot down my tasting notes (too much to type here for all the beers)...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Speaking of hops, how do you guys even drink some of that stuff? A buddy had been raving to me about Stone IPA, so I got a six some time back. Holy shit! People actually drink that stuff? Is Stone about as hopped as it gets?

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Is Stone about as hopped as it gets?
Stone IPA is one of the best examples of a great American IPA. Aggressively hopped but not as hopped as their Ruination. Hops are an acquired taste. I happen to love them but not when a beer is just hops. I have to have some malt sweetness. Dogfish Head 90 minute is heavily hopped but damn, it's good. Same for Great Divide Hercules and Three Floyds Dreadnaught. Awesome stuff.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
John, do you mean 'hopped' or 'bitter'? There are certainly more bitter beers out there than Stone's (normal) IPA (their ruination IPA is very bitter). The type and amount of hops contribute to a lot more in the beer than just bitterness. Check out the IBUs of the beer to get an idea of it's bitterness before buying...

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I never really paid much attention to this thread back in the day because your run of the mill beer was just good enough. Earlier this year I had a Blue Moon and then started to be introduced to Micro and a friends Home brew and I never looked back. I keep Blue Moon as a staple now but I have been trying different things.

A few weeks ago I picked up a Midwest Wheat Sampler. I have had Upland Wheat before, it was in there, and I really liked it, I have also had Razz Wheat and it was wonderful as well. I honestly do not remember some of the names, one had coffee and chocolate, made for a great after taste. I was expecting it to be as if somebody from Starbucks and somebody from Busch had a car wreck, but no, it was clean and crisp, you could define the coffee and chocolate seperatly.

I have tried Sierra Nevada, its at my local drug store now and I have tried several different things. I am a full convert now! Can I be on your team?

I just need to know how to convince the other half that spending much more $ on the same size bottle is ok, then again, she does not flinch much when it comes to dropping a $20 or more on a bottle of wine...

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Did anybody go to the GABF this weekend? I was there.
I went. Six years in a row now. Pretty good stuff this year. Mostly stuck to Porters and such.

My 3 favorites; Flossmoor - Imperial Eclipse Stout, Flying Dog - Gonzo Imperial porter (made in homage to hunter S. Thompson) and Dark Helmet Imperial Schwarz Bier.

Later, Rick

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen Carling in a couple bars in Boston, but it's not particularly popular. Pretty much Bass, Newcastle, somtimes Boddington or Tetley's are the English players in our neck of the woods. In bottles, you'll find Sam Smiths. Wish I could find Watney's or McEwans (Scottish I know), but almost never see either.

You'll see the glasses like the first picture occassionally, but for the most part our glasses are slightly smaller with straight sides and thicker sidewalls if that makes sense.

I don't think I've ever seen the second style of glass in the States, but have in Canada a few times. In fact, I liked them enough to have "borrowed" a couple.

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think I've ever seen the second style of glass in the States, but have in Canada a few times. In fact, I liked them enough to have "borrowed" a couple.
:D AHA
I like your style my friend. When I was drunk before me and a mate decided to take a few glasses for the pleasure of our homes. So being as drunk as we were, we decided to take the tray they came on and about 4 glasses each. Im sure it was a nice site for the drivers going past, seeing two drunk men running up the road with a tray and pint glasses.
:D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, now that Winter is upon us I thought it's time to get some good Stout / Porter recommendations going. I love this time of year with a good room temp stout or porter in my hand.

What are some of the favorites out there?

Joe D

Supporting Actor
My favorite Stout that is available everywhere is:

Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout.

My favorite stout that is available in Minnesota and surrounding states is:

Summit Great Northern Porter.

It has been since last winter that I've had these brews so I can't really specifically comment on them, but they are good.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I recently bought a 6-pack of this year's Deschutes Brewing Jubelale. I prefer it to last year's batch and would recommend it as a nice winter warmer. The bottle is pretty cool as well! (old time ski lodge picture)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure most of you don't watch commerical television, but I remember Bud Light running a series of commercials with an ancient Chinese Master who was teaching this guy the ways of beer. One of them was the master making the statement that you're supposed to pour beer down the center to release aroma and carbonation.

What's the correct way to pour beer? I've always done it down the side of the glass. I get no foam that way and more beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks