Let's talk Beer

Zen Butler

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Alaskan Smoked Porter is a nectar that transcends the simple classification of beer. I can't believe how long this outing eluded me. One of the best porters ever made.
Speaking of porters I dropped $5 on 16 oz. of a Swedish gem by D. Carnegie and Co.

I give its' Stark Porter a stellar 4.6 out of a possible 5 rating.
My Review Excerpt:
Pours a coal black but penetrable by light revealing hues of red and burgundy. Smell is distant like many porters but reveals chocolate, dates and earth... The taste a woodsy malt flavor overtoned with dates and bark... Extremely creamy medium body porter that I could enjoy with just about anything. One of the finest I've had.
-Z.K.E Butler
Ron, and other porter fans, run, and I mean RUN out to get this one.

Ron-P

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks for the heads-up Zen. I'll swing by the LW tonight and see if they stock it.
This weekend I had several bottles of Moylan's Moylander Double IPA disappear. Went to my bros house on Saturday and he has Moylan's IPA on tap. It was a very yummy weekend.
Peace Out~

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I’m the Guinness drinker from the Anti-beer thread. It was commented by a few that Guinness was the Budweiser of stouts. So who here can recommend some easily obtainable competitors? The closest big city that I travel to semi-frequently would be Pittsburgh if someone wants to throw out some microbrews from there.

Zen Butler

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
The closest big city that I travel to semi-frequently would be Pittsburgh
Oh man, you're in heaven. Penn is great for beer. I will list some easily obtainable brews in that area.

Victory makes some fine brew, if you like IPA, try the HopDevil. I used to do many Stone for Victory trades but now both available in either area. Others: Yuengling.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I’m the Guinness drinker from the Anti-beer thread. It was commented by a few that Guinness was the Budweiser of stouts. So who here can recommend some easily obtainable competitors? The closest big city that I travel to semi-frequently would be Pittsburgh if someone wants to throw out some microbrews from there.
AllanN, try Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland or Buckeye Brewing in Bedford Heights. Both are brewing some great stuff. Also, you should have easy access to (Kalamazoo) Bell's beers from Michigan. Great stouts.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
This weekend I had several bottles of Moylan's Moylander Double IPA disappear. Went to my bros house on Saturday and he has Moylan's IPA on tap. It was a very yummy weekend.
I polished off several bottles of Dogfish Head 90 min IIPA. I love it.

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
I’m the Guinness drinker from the Anti-beer thread. It was commented by a few that Guinness was the Budweiser of stouts. So who here can recommend some easily obtainable competitors?
I’m not so dismissive of Guinness. For an easily obtainable stout, it is I think quite drinkable and enjoyable. For many long years before the resurgence of microbreweries and in many locations here in the States where most offbeat imports were not readily available, Guinness provided a welcome treat for those of us wanting a ‘real’ stout.

The more so when visiting a pub with Guinness on tap.

And now that the tapper in the can is available, I still think that this is quite a fine brew. I frequently pick up some to have on hand.

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
to Guinness
Anywho, I tried that Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Very good, but I was trying pretty hard to find the chocolate taste.

Chu Gai

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Sampling beers around the country is a good thing. I've enjoyed the thread you started Ron

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Bump...I knew there was a recommendation of Young's Double Chocolate Stout in here.

I brought this to a beer sampling at a pre-Easter barbecue, and I thought the chocolate taste was quite obvious. I think I would have enjoyed it more as dessert during the winter months. It just isn't suited for spring afternoons in southwestern Louisiana.

Zen Butler

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Your fears are all just. Unibroue produces some of the finest brews available. Trois Pistoles is the best mock Belgian I've tried. This appears to be an outing in danger.

Think what has happened to the once respectable Newcastle, Guinness Extra Stout and Bass Pale. The three mentioned were at one time much better brews. As Lew eluded to a ways back, I will not dismiss them completely but they are now sub-par gateway beers. You can now hear frat-chants across the country "Dude, Newcastle...".

Unibroue's brews possess more depth and are not as approachable as the aforementioned. Unfortunately, this is where big business usually steps in to dumb down these brews. As the article suspects, phasing out the more complicated and focusing on watered down flagships that J6P can enjoy. We have seen nothing different with foreign film's dvd treatments by big studios. Dumb it down, make it more accessible. True connoisseurs always lose.

Ron-P

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've been fighting a damn nasty head cold over the past week and it's still with me. Haven't had any beer lately, this SUCKS!

Zen Butler

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Ron, you get an awful lot of these.
Had Boddington's Pub ALe last night in the nitro can. This is a little snappy ale that pours very nicely. I had put this one off due to its' popularity, a pleasant surprise.
Tonight I will observe this one closer. Had food in my mouth.

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, this is where big business usually steps in to dumb down these brews.
One of the things that I’ve always loved about Cooper’s is that they consider the 5% of the market the have (Australian market, that is) their share and have no intentions of changing their style to appeal to a larger market.

Of course they are family owned and have no stockholder’s to consider—and I suppose that the profits from their 5% keeps them in pretty reasonable nick.

I just love their Pale Ale, and most especially their Sparkling Ale. For anyone wishing to try their brews, they leave the sediment in the bottle and consider the proper way to serve them is to invert the bottle about 50 degrees and twist it back and forth a couple of times—then pour into a glass.

Bartenders often like to show off a bit by rolling a bottle along the bar.

Great stuff.

Zen Butler

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I just love their Pale Ale, and most especially their Sparkling Ale
Lew, Cooper's Sparkling Ale is fantastic. The common preconception that this is some light beer. Name be damned, this brew has surprising body. Something very different. Ron-P, this is a no-no for you. I find it similar in texture to the much beloved Duvel, which you hated.
This is a pale with a lot of depth.
Lew, would say Cooper's Sparkling a good summer alternative to some of the Mexican faves?

Shane Martin

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I had a Boddington's but it was on tap at a local Irish place. That was one fantastic brew.

I hope to god that Unibroe doesn't cancel Tres Pistoles. I guess I need to make a run down to Dallas to get some

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matishatrahu