What's new

Let's talk Beer (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Jon. Looks really cool, I sent off an email to see how and where I might land one of those. Thanks again for the link.
Peace Out~:D

Kevin Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
Weizen/Dark Weizen:

Erdinger (comes in non-alcoholic, too)

Andechs

Schneider

Maizels

Kulmbacher

Hacker-Pschorr

It's always a good sign if it's made by monks...

Pilsner: Pilsner Urquell, Bitburger

Ale: Bass

Stout: Guiness in the widget bottle/can

Geno

Supporting Actor
I know im getting into this thread a little late and I didnt have time to read thru it all, but I wanted to see if anyone has been to www.RATEBEER.com .
My friend has been a top rater for years on this site, and he's rated over 500 beers! Right now, I am proud to say, there is a Kansas Beer in the Top 10!! of course its a Free State Brew [Imperial Stout]! So if anyof you are in Lawrence for a tour of the Martin Logan factory, be sure to swing by 6th and Mass for great beer!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Last night I picked up a 6'er of Negro Modela(sp?). I put it in the fridge for a while and cracked one open during the Laker game. Overall its a pretty solid dark brew. I prefer Bohemia though and would probably pick some up but again I'm not a heavy drinker at all. Overall not bad for a Mexican brew.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Finally had a chance to get myself downtown to drink one of the true gems that Washington DC has on tap:

Hofbrauhaus Octoberfest

Went awsome with the bratwurst sandwitch they had on happy hour. Yum.

They always have Bitburger black on tap, always good to drink a good dunkles.

Andrej

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Bump, Bump...
Hey Beer Lovers...
Bought a case of Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA... truly enjoying the brew. Real nice IPA, imho. Mentioned by thoughts on it earlier in the thread...
Anyway, comes to play I only got 23 of the IPA and 1 bottle of the Barley Flats Oatmeal Stout Yum. What a great deep chocolate color, with a nice deep head. Excellent surprise in my case...that brings me to the main reason for my post...
Now that the weathers turning cooler (at least in my neck of the woods) what are everybody's favorite seasonals or winter brews...We have a case exchange at work every year. Eight of us ante up and we'll get (3) of each of our choice. Only rule is it must be a seasonal winter brew.
I am a huge fan of the Anchor Seasonal Beer...you know the ones with a different conifer on the label each year. The Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is also a favorite...
Cheers!

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Just got back from a trip to Bend, OR and got a chance to tour the Deschutes Brewery . They are under construction so we had to settle for a partial tour/video tour but thank goodness the tasting room was still open.
They started the tour in the tasting room where we got to sample 4 of the beers they brew. A seasonal (cant remeber the name), Mirror Pond Pale Ale, Jubelale (their winter seasonal), and Black Butte Porter
We then made or way over to their Brew Pub and enjoyed a few appitizers with a couple of pints.
A must vist if you find yourself in Bend, OR. I will return every time I make it to Bend.
BTW their Jubelale is one of my fav. winter brews.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
"I am a member of ratebeer.com. I love it."

Ditto

Im prout to say Kansas City has the best standard lager out as rated by ratebeer.com

BOB's 47 !

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Klaatu
Nikto
Barrrraaarrarahahhahahahhaam
:D
I have this craving for beer right now. :D
Anywho, I just wanted to read through this thread, and the idea struck me:
Should we start a brand new thread with people's beer recommendations? I figure if there's one for anime, there should be one for beer. And for help from folks, I'll organize it by type and country. Anybody like this idea?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Well despite your eagerness or sarcasm, there are sites that divide beer and ale by country type, style etc. e.g beeradvocate.com and ratebeer.com. This thread barely scratches the surface of what is available. Although you will find some top notch recommendations in this thread.
Start with
Stone's Ruination IPA and call Ron-P and I in the morning :)

Dome, damn you I am thirsty as all hell now. Ron-P what's the situation at the LW as of late?

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
My beer vocabulary is pretty limited:
  • Grolsch
  • Newcastle
  • Guinness
  • Brooklyn Lager
  • Corona
  • Sam Adams (especially the Winter Brew)
A few others (Turbo Dog, Old Peculiar, Heffeweisen, Tsingtao, Peroni) come to mind as enjoyable, but the six above are the standbys. One of my old buddies just completed his first batch of homebrew, which we'll be trying at some point.
He was telling me that he found a recipe for Guinness, which calls for a percentage of sour Guinness. Interesting.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Not to take away from Stone’s, but for those who like an IPA, try Samuel Smith’s.
Lew, agreed Samuel Smith's IPA like Fuller's is a more traditional IPA. Stone's Ruination is a hyper-active California style, with an IBU at 100+. The more traditional styles come in about 55-65. These more aggressive IPA's like Stone's IPA, Stone's Ruination, Hop Ottin' etc., have left my palate feeling a bit cheated when I indulge in the traditional style. This though does not mean that these traditional styles are not well crafted and better balanced brews.
Fuller's 1845 is about the best balanced ale I've ever had.
Two classy breweries.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
BTW Dome, what’s the point of bring this up before the sun is over the yardarm?
Good question. :)
The point I was trying to make is that there should be a thread that's specifically for HTF. I like to think of it as a small sample size interacting with one another. I'd like to break it down into recommendations by fellow HTF members and categorize them by type, although I'm only aware of regular beer, amber beer, and dark beer.
If you want to see a template, take a look at this thread
Click here if you didn't know to already
I kind of want something like that started. There are a lot of newbies you know. Have a page one dedicated to recommendations and the rest for discussion. I might just do one anyway. But I think I'll need help on classifying the beers. :)

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I forgot about this thread. Now that it is back alive, let me tell you, for anyone who likes beer, if you ever plan a fall trip to DisneyWorld, go during the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival, during October. They set up kiosks outside the different country pavillions there as well as many not usually represented. They end up having beer, wine and food from probably 25 different countries there for a month. Orlando locals actually come and drink their way around the World Showcase Lagoon.
They do some free beer and wine tastings as well as beer/wine dinners that do cost money but are interesting in that I tasted beers I never would have before like Stella Artois :emoji_thumbsup: and Hoegaarden :thumbsdown: . I also found out that Lowenbrau is now being made in Germany again and the taste is much improved from a few years ago. Heh, there is nothing like having a bucket of 6 free beers for a table of 2 and watching all the people walk by all jealous.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Start with
Stone's Ruination IPA and call Ron-P and I in the morning :)
Dome, damn you I am thirsty as all hell now. Ron-P what's the situation at the LW as of late?
Nice surprise to see this thread back from the dead.
The LW is good and well stocked. I am paying them a visit tonight. I've been quite boring lately and have just been sticking with my tried-and-true Stone's, Moylans, Sam Adams and Widmer Heffe. Nothing over the top or new. One reason for my visit tonight, just going for some odd ball brews.
I've got one bottle of Ruination for tonight. I will be picking up a few more bottles of this tonight. Always a good brew to have back stock on.
Hey Zen, you ever been to Taps in Fullerton/Brea? My brother took us there for dinner a few weeks back. It's a brewery like Steelhead. Had a few different brews, very tasty. Of course, as the night wore on, I nor my brother could remember what beers we had, but they were very good. Several had abv's of 7+ into the 8's.
Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks