What's new

Let's talk Beer (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Lew, agreed. The Stella Artois Pale Lager, has never been touted as anything more than average. Their Lutece (sp?), though, might be a whole different experience for you. Especially if your palate craves the zest of a Trappist style Belgian Strong. :)
Oh Mike......
img-beer-menupic1.jpg

Okay, that was wrong

Since the current topic is pale lager seek out:
Victory Lager (an awesome PA brewery)
Samuel Smith's Lager(Stellar lager from the genius English brewery)
Otter Creek Vermont Lager (word of mouth only, have yet to try)
Red Stripe- (Yes, just because it's available doesn't mean it's not good. A nice representation of the lager style. Great with BBQ!)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Here are some suggestions for a down under beers: all are crisp, but full of flavor:

Hahn Premium (uses German hops—good aroma; not too bitter).

James Boag —which is my favorite standard Australian pale lager. From Tasmania and just a very fine beer made in a lighter style. Those who live in Hobart prefer Cascade—and on some days so do I.

James Squire Pilsner (from the Malt Shovel Brewery), a bit more hops, but well balanced. Clean and crisp enough to drink with a grilled fish. This is a definitely from a small specialty brewer.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Now, I knew Lew was holding out on us.

James Squire is a brewery I've been dying to try. Good rep on several styles.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Since I’d mentioned Hahn Premium and James Squire, I should point out that this beer is named after its orginator and owner of the brewery when it was developed, Chuck Hahn. (I used to work with a salesman who at one time sold Hahn beer to the wholesale and retail markets—so a little info from memory) Hahn worked at Coors and then in Australia and New Zealand (where he was in charge of brewing Steinlarger), started by Hahn brewery, sold out to the Lion-Nathen guys (beer, wine and spirits—pretty much in all market segments including importing). At Hahn he had tried to market a mass-market beer and this failure is probably why he sold to Lion.
Here is the good part. He then started up James Squire (can’t now use his own name because of the sale of his previous label). And has what I think is the best microbrewery in Australia. BTW Zen, he does make an IPA.
I purchased enough of his product that I have a couple of Malt Shovel t-shrits, gratis. :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Never really cared much for the PU and I highly doubt Jack would like it as well. It's been awhile but, it's bitter, skunky and bubbly. I don't mind the bitterness but it's got those skunky bubbles which is a big turn-off for myself.
I'm headed over to the local beer house to land some new, untried, darker brews for this weekend. I'm getting back in the mode to try the 'new stuff'.
I will agree that Red-Stripe is a decent brew, nothing to rave about mind you, but it's a good one for a hot summer day.
Peace Out~:D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Well, I learned something new, James Squire is not a brewery. :) Very nice story Lew.
Ron, the trick with Pilsner Urquell is it must be bought in the case. Also, watch the way it is/has been stored. Single bottles, in a cooler facing west/east are going to fry and skunk. Wish breweries would fully abandon the clear/green bottles.
Ron, I actually got a skunked batch of Witchwood Hobgoblin(clear bottle), oh, the horror!! What a great beer, ruined.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I can concur, my first bottle of Fuller's ESB was skunked and it was hard to go back and try a second, but after I did, BAMMO! Good Stuff.
I may go back sometime and try another PU. Can't really say I'll ever pick up a case though. Too risky. But, I may bust open a case at the LW :)

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I wonder if any Michiganders might comment on Bell's? I picked up a six pack of their Two Hearted Ale and was favorably impressed.
I am not from Michigan but Kalamazoo Bell's Two Hearted certainly rocks. I love it. My wife picked up 10 bottles of Stone 7th Anniversary this past week but haven't had it yet since I am out of the country. My other favorite US brewers besides Bell's and Stone include Alesmith, Dogfish Head, and Three Floyds.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Good to know I'm not alone, Mark! I notice we have the same "Member Since:" date. Coincidence? I think not.

Can you recommend any other Bell's offerings? The world market I frequent has five or six to choose from, but I can't remember any others off the top of my head.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
What a coincidence!! Bell's Expedition stout kicks major ass if you like stouts and their Third Coast Old Ale is great also. Check out Dogfish Head 60 or 90 minute IPA also for a great beer. DFH's 120 minute is a little over the top for me with 20% abv.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Wow, 20% ABV, I may just have to try that...because. I need to get back to the LW for some more Dogfish brews.
My "experimenting" weekend fell though and I had to back-off on the brews as the Doc put me on some anti-biotics for the next week due to a sinus infection I just can't shake on my own. Damn!!!
I did sneak in a Pyramid Broken Rake Amber Ale. Can't say much about this. It follows suit with all other Pyramids I've tried, skunky with a slight bitterness. Flavor was good with a strong earthy overtone, slight hops with a bitter finish. Can't really recommend this one as with the other Pyramids I've tried.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
haha the beer thread lives again... Suckers ..I fianlly got a brewery here where I live...nice little microbrew place called Southern Tier Brewery... Drinking a nice Harvest Ale right now and they have a barley wine coming out next month....:D

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
Wolters Pilsner out of Braunschweig Germany, now that's a beer. Or a true Berliner Weisse (you could drink these like a Coke @ 16). Now it's a Fat Tire, or Chimay Ale imported illegally.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I was in germany last week, but I don't like beer. I choked one down but don't know what it was.

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
Chimay illegal??
Well in alot of states, including mine, it's illegal to import alchohol. You have to turn to the distributors. If they don't carry it, or refuse to, you don't get. Thus if you wish to have certain tastes in life you must bring it in yourself.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Well in alot of states, including mine, it's illegal to import alchohol. You have to turn to the distributors. If they don't carry it, or refuse to, you don't get. Thus if you wish to have certain tastes in life you must bring it in yourself.
Yep, I know what you mean. I have to haul in several cases myself from another state if I want anything higher than 6%.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
A thread about beer... where have I been????
Havent read all the posts so Ill play some catch up and post a few of my favs.
  • Mt. Angel Brewery - Ale Mari©
  • McMenamins - Hammerhead
  • Widmere Brothers - Hefeweizen
  • Deschutes Brewery - Black Butte Porter
  • New Belgium Brewing - Fat Tire
  • Rouge - Dead Guy Ale
  • "Black and Tan" - Guinness Stout and Bass Pale Ale (fun to pour too)
  • Redhook - E.S.B. on Nitro! :D
If your ever in Portland in July might want to check out the Oregon Brewers Festival

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks