Let's talk about kitchen sinks...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Poehlman, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

...since every other topic has been covered in After Hours. [​IMG]

Seriously, I'm looking at replacing my builder-default, stainless steel, double basin with something a little more attractive.

I put a cast-iron sink in our last home that looked great and had a real, solid sound and feel. But, now I'm looking at other materials like Swanstone and wondering how they hold up.

What's your kitchen sink made of? How do you like it?

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I went with some sort of a dense plastic in my new home, looks very similar to that swanstone stuff, but I'm afraid I haven't moved in yet so I can't tell you how I feel [​IMG]
    I can't tell if that swanstone is a sort of plastic or not, the website is pretty short on details.

I don't care for stainless steel, and I don't care for porcelin, so I hope I'll like this stuff. I chose this because it matched well with the corean counters, but was like 1/5th the cost of a moulded corean sink.

3. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

We've had a corian sink for a couple years and it's worked out very well. It gets bonded to the corian countertop so it's basically seamless.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

If you have the money, copper is stunning.

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Here is my Swanstone, and I'm totally happy with it.

Except...

I could kick myself for not getting a (much more expensive) flush mount sink. Oh how I'd love to sweep those toast crumbs directly into the sink rather than into my hand. [​IMG]

Jon

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

those look very nice, but my builder wanted something rediculous like $1500 for a moulded sink. I couldn't justify the cost.

7. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

We have Corian countertops and sinks and love them. Easy cleaning too. Since there are no seams, there's nowhere for grime to build up.

8. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I would recommend a decorative undermount sink, if your countertops can accomodate that. Something made by Bates and Bates would be nice (www.batesandbates.com). Match it up with a Rohl faucet and it should look really good.

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Those undermount seamless sinks are nice... but, I have your basic laminate countertop so I don't think I'll be going that route without some major remodification.

[thought to self]Of course new granite countertops would match our dinette... hmmm[/thought to self]

Philip_G, the Swanstone is made from some sort of "space-aged polymer". So it's probably pretty similar to what you have. I've seen other brands with the same sort of look to them.

Jon_Are, how well does your Swanstone clean up? I know they've got kind of a "matte" finish to them and I'd be worried about stains and scoring.

The porcelin I had looks great when you put it in and it cleans up really well at first. But even porcelin gets scratched and dull over time and is prone to scoring with metal pans. Of course one could say that it adds "character" to the sink. And they do last forever... as well as being bulletproof... in case I were to drop some bullets in the disposal.

The copper looks great.. but is out of my price range... and I don't know if it would look at home in my contemporary kitchen.

10. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

My sink - even though it's white - cleans up nicely (even spaghetti sauce). I like the matte look - you don't have to worry about it dulling. Haven't noticed any scoring, and we've had it over a year now.

Jon

11. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

I bought my Swanstone sink form a party in NH. It matches the WilsonArt Laminate countertop quite well.. I too wish I had a flush mounted sink..but for the price I paid for the sink I cant complain.

Cleanup is simple..and stains can be "sanded" off with Barkeeper's Friend" or SoftScrub. Our sink is "bone" so we bleach the surface occasionally to brighten it up.

Swanstone's customer service was good too..I had to call them for more mounting hardware and they sent it out right away..no questions asked.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

I got mine a Lowes. Black granite.... love it.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

What are the other colors in your kitchen Frank?

14. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

The kitchen counter is green marble pattern and the floor has earth tone type colors beige, green, light brown, and gray.

[​IMG]

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Cool. I hadn't thought of a black sink before, but it might fit in nicely with the rest of my new kitchen.