Let's Talk About Amplifiers

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not looking for perfection. Just what makes me sit back, close my eyes and say "Oh Man! That's awesome."

Reactions: John Dirk

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I currently am running a 5.1 system and I have an emotive PA-1 monoblock powering my center channel and the emotive BasX A-800 which provides 40 watts into 8 channels or 100 watts into 4 channels powering my fronts and surrounds. I might later add a couple PA-1's for my front Left and Right and add rears.

Amerkin

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis Palla
... in search of The Absolute Sound... or experiencing, embracing and living the love (and journey) of the music itself...?

_Man_
Exactly. I was in the pursuit, within reason of my means at the time. The Hovland group had a good run for about ten years with their first pre and power amps becoming The Absolute Sound reference pieces. They pioneered a lot of the wire technology that is used by many companies today and had great success with their MusiCaps capacitors. They did a stepped attenuator with individual resistors per step in the late 70s that was way ahead of the times. They attached a phono preamp to the underside of the turntable so where the wire leads from the cartridge, through the tone arm was unbroken and soldered directly to the phono stage circuit board, thereby eliminating some RCA connectors. They were very innovative thinkers and were able to apply it for incredible sound reproduction.
About the other part: experiencing, embracing and living the love (and journey) of the music itself....that’s what lead me to start drumming again about 30 years ago and eventually decide to move away from the pursuit mentioned. I found myself listening more and more to good headphones (not earbuds) and playing a lot instead of critiquing my system. That lead to converting my dedicated sound listening room (and taking down the Hovland stereo gear) to a home theatre room. And I don’t regret it, as I feel I have both worlds covered, not necessarily the best of, but certainly very adequately.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Got the XPA-7 installed. To make room Oppo had to go to the top of the rack, gave the Anthem and XPA-7 room to breath (with the help of a pair of AC infinity fans). Overall I think it was a worthy upgrade over the XPA 5, XPA 7 is a bit more forward but mid range is more detailed and dynamics are tighter. The look between the two amps is a little different but my gear is in a coat closet so its not real obvious...

Attachments

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Got the XPA-7 installed. To make room Oppo had to go to the top of the rack, gave the Anthem and XPA-7 room to breath (with the help of a pair of AC infinity fans). Overall I think it was a worthy upgrade over the XPA 5, XPA 7 is a bit more forward but mid range is more detailed and dynamics are tighter. The look between the two amps is a little different but my gear is in a coat closet so its not real obvious...
Give it some time to break in. I swear my DR2 kept evolving for 2-3 months, which surprised me.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeLo