What's new

Let's take a tally: Who on the HTF is on the SVS PC+ preorder? (1 Viewer)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Thanks Timmy,

We're always eager to read the reports on a new release. Given the quality of the parts and the very efficient basic design we expect this to be a common theme from early adopters.

Take a look at the manual and tuning sheet for tips on calibration and let us know (e-mail even) what you discover on your old favorite movies. There are literally thousands of man-hours poured into that sub, we hope it shows when your movies call for the deep stuff. Naturally folks are going to want to know your impressions on music material as well. Consider separate calibrated bass levels for music if your receiver supports that.

Ron

MattMiller

Auditioning
Woohoo... mine's on the way! Thanks for replying so quickly Ron and Erik!

My 20-39PC+ is scheduled for delivery on Friday.... I'm bouncing in my seat with anticipation.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Duvall,
I don't think you'll be dissappointed music wise at all. My sad and unplugged Monitor Audio 210 was a very musical sub. Tight, fast, punchy bass. There were a few things that it did have trouble with, however, such as the stand up bass on Diana Krall's Live in Paris dvd. With the SVS you can imagine and feel the strings vibrating is the air of your room. Metallica Black album dvd-a...how loud can I turn it without distortion? I don't know, I stopped when it hurt. NIN dvd...also painful. Blue Man Group dvd-a...sounded great before, but where did those new sounds come from? I tried to listen to Koopman's pipe organ dvd-a but I don't really know the tracks that have good low notes and didn't have the patience to sit through it. The only organ solo I really like is the church lady on the Simpsons playing Inagodda divida;)
Now for bits and pieces of movies: Toy Story 2 intro...I didn't know that was there before, wow, shook the house. Star Wars PM pod race, holy cow! So how much is an octave or a half octave? My other sub supposedly went down to 22hz and I'm hearing (feeling?) stuff I didn't hear before with the 16-46.
Since I didn't have an SVS before, I can't compare the PC+ to other models, so I'll leave that up to somebody else.

Hey Matt, your order number was 2575? I though most of the orders for the PC+ were in the range of 4 to 5k. Was your number perhaps 5275? Just trying to get a idea on the shipping location since I'm order number 5410 (just got final approval from the wife to order last weekend!)so I probably still have a couple of weeks to wait. Seems like most people posting that theirs has shipped were in the 4500 range, are there really 1000 subs backordered? Thats quite impressive.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
Chiming in with my .02 Got my 20-39 PC+ set up and calibrated. Currently not in a corner, but i don't seem to have any problem with achieving refrence volumes in my room (about 15x15x8). Watched a few THX intros, and some select scenes from Phantom Menace, Matrix, Monsters Inc., Fight Club, and Armageddon. So far I'm very pleased with it. The amount of bass is amazing. It's hard for me to compare to before because this is my first dedicated sub, and I've only had my Klipsch RF-7's for less than a week so I was still getting used to their sound, but one thing i noticed from watching Monsters Inc last night without the sub, and tonight with it was near the beginning when they're walking to work there is a big monster and tonight his footsteps were loud and rumbling and i don't even remember noticing them last night. Also, I watched a few things on standard setting and with one port blocked and I definitely like the sound better with one port blocked. I'm currently testing it out for music so I can't really comment on that aspect. Also, I'm sure everything will change again on friday when my Outlaw 950 arrives. I'm currently using an Onkyo THX828 as a pre/pro and it has very limited crossover options. Just wanted to write in and say that i'm very pleased with my first sub so far. Oh, and the packing job is excellent.

Duvall

Agent
>>Duvall,

I don't think you'll be dissappointed music wise at all. My sad and unplugged Monitor Audio 210 was a very musical sub. Tight, fast, punchy bass. There were a few things that it did have trouble with, however, such as the stand up bass on Diana Krall's Live in Paris dvd. With the SVS you can imagine and feel the strings vibrating is the air of your room. Metallica Black album dvd-a...how loud can I turn it without distortion? I don't know, I stopped when it hurt. NIN dvd...also painful. Blue Man Group dvd-a...sounded great before, but where did those new sounds come from?

ricky ho

Stunt Coordinator
My 16-46PC+ is here and replacing a Velo spl-1200. I'm listening to "The Fifth Element" as i write trying to keep my feet still. The floor is vibrating!:D
The subwoofer is impressive looking to say the least. It was delivered in perfect condition!!! Great job by the SVS guys. Ron, you were right. It was worth the wait:D
thanks

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Lord of the Rings...moira...damn near tore the house down!

Back to music. When I got the Santana Supernatural dvd a while back, I only played it a couple of times cuz I thought it was too boomy and couldn't listen to it loud. Well, I was digging through my dvds just to see what I could throw at this monster, so I thought I'd try the Santana disc and see what that boominess really sounded like. No problemo SVS! Lot's of tight and varied percussion and bass. Play it LOUD and no distortion or boom. Just like a concert!

Well Dave, you've had more listening experience with various great bass equipment than I have so I will be anxious to here what you think.

I don't know what to try next. I'm too hyped up to sit through a whole movie, although I've got Blade II and Resident Evil still unwrapped...I've read the bass scenes from the SVS website, but what else is everybody sampling with? Please give scene numbers or time so I jump right to it...can't wait...need more bass...how can I go to work tomorrow? (ok, deep breaths....head between knees...breathe in paper bag...valium?)

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
Great news! Just called home and my two 20-39+'s were delivered this morning. I was watching Monsters Inc. last night with some friends and they marvelled at how my Audiosource SW15 shook the room. I think this setup might do slightly more damage... I'll let you all know soon!

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
"I think this setup might do slightly more damage... "

Ahh, yep.

Let's put it this way Jeff, I've got a gun to my head till you come back with the right answer on that one ;^)

Ron

MattMiller

Auditioning
Mine arrived about 2 hours ago. 45 minutes of tuning, then tryout time...

HOLY #$%F(@%@ $%#(*&#!!!

This thing is awesome!

SVS - you guys rock, well... your subwoofers rock, well... you know what I mean :)

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator
I can barely wait!
Unfortunately I did not pull the trigger and pre-order until 9/12. :frowning: I am told my order (#534X) should ship sometime late next week (?9/25-27?). Then add 4-5 days for arrival in CA and that means I won't be able to enjoy it until sometime in the vicinity of Oct 2-4. :frowning:
Waiting can be torture!
Matthew

MattMiller

Auditioning
it's worth the wait :) just make sure you tune it with video essentials (or similar) and your SPL meter when you get it. my first location did not work and i could tell almost immediatly so i moved to the opposite wall and re-tuned it... perfect! that variable phase control make a big difference.

my ears hurt. 115db at 20Hz can do that i guess

Duvall

Agent
Well, I guess this'll be the last weekend I whimper to myself about not seeing how those dual 20-39 PC+'s will do in my listening room. They left Tuesday and have been "in transit to North Bay, Ca. hub" all week. Supposedly Monday, but I guess we'll just wait and see.
I hate waiting for new toys. ;)
See ya. Dave

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Sorry Dave, maybe you just need to get out and do something totally different from the audio/video world. Get away, do something physical, or what the heck, maybe it's a good time to clean your garage!:frowning:

Duvall

Agent
>>Sorry Dave, maybe you just need to get out and do something totally different from the audio/video world. Get away, do something physical, or what the heck, maybe it's a good time to clean your garage!

Patrick Williams

Stunt Coordinator
When you guys talk about calibrating with Avia or video essentials, can this be done on a 7.1 system, or are the discs only good for 5.1? If you have 7.1, are your only recourse is to use your receivers internal test noise?

Thanks,

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks