Lets see which one gets moreVotes!! (RX-630, AVR1802, SR600)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Parker, May 31, 2002.

1. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,
    After doing research online for receivers, get all recommendations you guys gave me and went to the stores to check the receivers.
    I narrowed down my selection to following three:
    1. Yamaha HTR5560
    2. Denon AVR-1802
    3. Onkyo SR600
    My final Speaker setup is:
    Center: Infinity IL25c
    Main: Infinity IL10
    Rear: Acoustic Research AR215PS
    Sub: Hitachi HTS-5 (maybe will upgrade later)
    Receiver would be used for 60/40 music/movies
    So what your opinion about:
    1. which receiver will sound the best with this setup. (I know its subjective, but just trying to know what you guys think)
    2. Which receiver has better features.
    3. Better Value for price. RX630=$329, Avr1802=$364, SR600=$425 (Based on lowest prices found on net)
    3. Best overall Receiver.
    4. Your pick
    Its a tough decesion for me, but I will just go and buy one of 'em on your suggestions (getting frustrated [​IMG]) ).
    I listened to all three receivers(side by side), and its not a day and night difference among them as far as sound goes.
    Denon has better mids, yamaha and onkyo are more on bright side but clear as well.
    I am just trying to know if you guys had this choice, which one you will pick.
    after your suggestions I will let you guys know which one I
    bought and later on I will write a little review.
    And I would like to thank all of you for helping me out.

2. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Why not tell us your impressions of those three receivers. I'm sure you have pamphlets for each by now, right? And you've checked the web sites, right? Listened to them? What do you think? Is there one that you favor? Any questions about any particular receiver? These forums are full of opinions, I'm sure you'll have no problems there, but they're all gonna be biased.

- Mike

3. Kevin Parker

ok so here are my impresions on these receiver:

Denon 1802

Strengths:
    Very good receiver, built like a tank, good features, it has a very clean mids, I found it better for movies then the music but not bad for music either. plenty of inputs, dp2/dd/dts work great. 4 preamps out. room size setting, cinema EQ, late night listening, 5.1 channel input. Two sets of main speakers. Phono Input.

Weaknesses:
    No 6.1 capabalities, fixed bass crossover, delay time for surround speakers can only be set in matrix only. no LFE settings. no impedance selector, Remote control.

Onkyo SR600

Strengths:
    A good clean sound, more on bright side, All possible formats available today are included, like dd-EX, dts-ES discrete and matrix, DTS Neo 6, dp2, works great with movies and music. Very nice DSP's, component video switching, Two sets of main speakers, on screen display. Subwoofer adjustable crosover 80, 100, 120 HZ, Assignable digital inputs, has great stting options for surround delay, it calculates automatically by the distance of speakers. Cinema Filter, late night listening.

Weaknesses:
    No preamp outs, b speakers are powered buy surround amplifier so surround mode cannot be selected when the B speakers are being used. No phono input. No binding posts for B speakers. No LFE setting. no impedance selector.

Yamaha HTR5560 (RX-V630)

Strengths:
    A good clean sound, more sound like onkyo than denon, litlle on bright side. All the surround foramts except DTS-ES discrete, 6.1 capabalities with back center speaker amplifier, 32 bit processing, 7 channels preamp output, component video switching, two sets of main speakers, 41 DSP variations, DD and DTS LFE setting, silent cinema, Back ground video function combines a video source with an audio source, .06% THD(lowest compare to onkyo and denon), Impedance selector 4 ohm or 8 ohm.

Weaknesses:
    No DTS-ES discrete, No late night cinema mode, no phono input, fixed bass crossover.

If you notice that I didnt give much attention to how these receivers sound when compare to each other it is because this is very subjective and my opinion could be totally different than yours. And I tell you that there is no day and night difference among the sound of these receivers, I just found that onkyo and yamaha more similar in soud while denon has little different sound, but all three receivers have very clean and pleasing sound, maybe one of these receiver sound better on some set of speakers and others on other.

My Pick:
    Now it wuz time to decide which receiver I want, personally I found 6.1 surround better sounding than 5.1 so denon wuz outta my list for that reason even though its a very good receiver and you will find lotta recommendations on denon, so real competition wuz in b/w onkyo and yamaha. Onkyo had DTS discrete but no preamps out and no good support for A/B speakers, and yamaha had no DTS discrete, and thats the only real weakness I found on yamaha, so I chose yamaha over Onkyo, and my biggest reason wuz getting a very good deal while onkyo wuz $100 more, $100 difference just to get DTS discrete wuz not worth it for me.

This is my first review ever so maybe its not as good as some of you guys write. but I tried my best.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Have you investigated what used receivers are in your price range? You might be able to get much more receiver for your money.

Just thought I'd mention it.

5. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Kevin,

Let me add to your review.
    With 5 channels running the Onkyo 600 output is 34w/ch.
    With all channels running Yamaha 5560 output is 28W/ch
    With all channels running Pioneer 811s output is 78w/ch
    With 5 channels running the Denon 2802 output is 74W/ch

No data on the Denon 1802.

This is very important depending on the speakers someone has or is planning to buy.

6. Kevin Parker

where you got this data from? do you have a link so I can read too?

7. Kevin Parker

Norman,
    Are you the same guy who wrote the review about SR600 on audio review?

8. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Kevin,
    Link to a wattage chart,
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm
    The test on the 600 was done by the Onkyo distribute in Canada and by a lab in NJ, the 811s and the 5560 was done by the same lab in NJ.
    Don't be so negative, I am just giving facts to those that might have certain speakers that need more watts.

9. Kevin Parker

no, I am not negative, actually it is helping cause I am looking to buy this receiver, and it could help me to decide if its true what you saying. thanx a lot.

10. Kevin Parker

well, I didn't find any results for SR600 and Htr5560 in the chart you provided the link for.

11. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

I paid for the test in the NJ lab and the test was made by the Onkyo distributer in Canada
    Link to the Onkyo 595 test, the receiver was replaced by the 600.
    See the lab test 5-channels 35watts
    http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1880
    "With five channels driven simultaneously - as happens in 'real life' - the maximum output peaks at 5x55W with near-instantaneous limiting back to 5x35W/8ohm should the amplifier judge that it's getting into trouble... "

12. Kevin Parker

but this is for 595 right? what about where you found 7w for yamaha and 34w for sr600?
    I am sorry I am not getting hard on you nor I work for onkyo or yamaha [​IMG]

13. Kevin Parker

I am sorry I meant 27w...

14. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Your not getting it. I had them tested and paid for the test report.

15. Kevin Parker

so please can you email me the report so I can forward to yamaha? it would be a big favour.

16. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael

17. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Mike,

How are you?

It truely depends on the movie as far as what is needed. 75 or more watts is not what is important.
    My issues is the truth in advertising and to be atleast 55 out of 75.

What I like about the Yamaha are the preout, they are there if you need them.

18. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

By midnight mode you mean adjusting the dynamic range right? I'm pretty sure the yamaha can be set to max, standard, or low for the dynamic range.

19. Kevin Parker

norman's point is valid, when they say that receiver is 75w per channel it should be 75w not 27w or 34w, and onkyo and yamaha are not some knock offs, they have the reputaion and they are for so long in the business, so I think they should be honest.

20. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

It's all due to the poor ratings sytem. A company only has to run one channel for a fraction of a second to claim that ever popular 100wpc. I just picked up a Marantz 2235B that is rated at 35wpc and it seems much more powerful than my Yamaha HTR-5440 rated at 65wpc. Back in the 70's they had to run all channels (mainly 2) for an hour to claim X amount of watts. Then again, technology hasn't changed much. We really shouldn't expect 100wpc out of a 25lb receiver with 5 amps built into it.