Lets just sit and appreciate how good "24" is.......(no spoilers).....

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Rogers, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Wow. Am I impressed.

After the first season I thought it could not get any better.

I was wrong. Season 2 is blowing my mind. Although I am only 1/3 of the way through it...

So addictive.. My friends stop by ( who normally tease my movie watching ways).. ended up watching 3 hours of it with me.. and demanded more!!![​IMG]

Color me impressed, and awaiting Season 3

I wonder where they can take it after that? Jack Bauer takes on aliens?

2. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Stop the teasing, man.. [​IMG] I've just ordered both seasons right this minute. An *incredible* coincidence.

I'm seriously looking forward to them now. And shall be ignoring this thread completely, since it will contain micro-spoilers and stuff. [​IMG] (to say nothing, of the probability the thread will be locked or sent to the TV viewing area.)

3. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Heres a tip: Don't read about the special features on Disc 7. It gives away an important plot line.

And.. you HAVE to watch season 1 first.. Not that anyone would not do that. [​IMG]

4. Dustin Wind

Dustin Wind Stunt Coordinator

Season 2 was great, but it can't compare to how good season 1 was.

5. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

I think that with Season 1 it was all so fresh.. you weren't used to the "24" pattern. Every lead will die/lead you in a new direction/every 44 min. something shocking will happen [​IMG]

6. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I've made it through the first disc of Season 2 and am a little dissapointed. I agree that the 24 pattern isn't as fresh now that we've experienced it. As I think about it, it's still better than most any tv show on these days. Kim is the main problem for me. She almost ruins the show. Don't even get me started.

I have a feeling though, it's going to pick up with disc 2 quite well. Episode 1 and 3 were the only ones I had seen on TV, so there weren't any great surprises in store from half of disc one. Still can't wait to get home though. Must watch 24.

And death to kim. Not just any death. Hopefully a slow painful death. Maybe that is Season 3 ... 24 hours of torture before execution. I have never actively wished for the dismemberment of a TV show character until now. If someone were that stupid in real life, they wouldn't last a half a day.

But other than her, it's pure TV glory.

7. WillG

WillG Producer

Just a warning. If you have not seen S2, avoid reading the review at The Digital Bits. It contains some spoilers

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

If you are only 1/3 of the way through, start dialing down the expectations. Not giving anything away, but it goes so wrong later on that many viewers almost gave up on it. It got so manipulative and unbelievable, it made me angry watching each episode. The show is so good that I hate to see it go so bad at times.

9. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Thats saddens me.. [​IMG] But lowering expectations might be good. If you had to give Season 1 (on a scale of 1-10 What would you give Season 2?

10. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

I'd give Season 1 a 9 on a scale of 1-10(it loses a point for...wait, I suddenly can't seem to remember anything that happened [​IMG]). Season 2 gets an 8, but I can't really explain why since this is a "no spoiler" thread.

11. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

I have to agree with Jon. S1 rocked hard and S2 started with lots of promise and build-up... but the writers... One good thing about S2 is that it cure me of my 24 compulsion. I have no desire to see S3 now that I figured out the big 24 formula:

start with conspiracy 1 (nuke somewhere) for 12 hours or so, then show it was just a cover for the REAL conspiracy (to unseat the prez) then finally resolve that story only to reveal the real conspiracy (assasination of palmer) in the last 2 minutes of the season.

Same formula for season 1: Conspiracy 1 (assasinate Palmer) is just a cover for conspiracy 2 (victor dresden's revenge on Jack) then have his wife dead in the last 2 minutes of the season.

Why watch the show, invest your 24 weeks in it, when they'll just pull something out of their.. hats in the last 2 minutes of the last episode?

The deus ex machina ending was stale back when Aristotle criticized it, and it isn't any more fresh a few thousand years later!

12. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

well I guess we can do spoilers.. but black them out. Or at least until I finish the Season. Then spoil -away

13. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

For what it's worth, I think those who have and those who have not watched the 2nd season yet will be happy (or at least relieved) to know that apparently Kiefer Sutherland stated he is totally against cliffhanger endings for future seasons. That doesn't mean there won't be some sort of twist, but at least you'll know the story will resolve itself in one season from now on.

And in regards to season 2, I agree that you should dial down expectations. The first 1/3 was great, but then the writers seem to have lost their focus. Not only does this mean the storytelling wasn't as good as the first season, but they also put themselves in a position where they had to wrap up WAY too much in the last couple episodes, leaving many viewers feeling like they were cheated.

Still, it's one of the best shows on TV. [​IMG]

14. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

15. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

The twist and turns started to get extremely annoying and very ridiculous this past season. I constantly found myself rolling my eyes or screaming "You f***ing idiot!" at almost all the characters. Unfortunately they keep ending each season with a cliffhanger and I'm not strong enough to decide that I just don't care enough to keep watching. Kim, while being extremely hot, needs to just go away. She's the female version of the Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz. If she only had a brain...

24 was best during the first 13 episodes of the 1st season.

16. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Chad,

I felt similarly but I am now about 1/2 way through the 4th disc. As I told my wife the other night after the first disc I said this season is moving slowly and then things started to pick up.

Season 1 was, as many have stated, new, fresh, exciting and very engaging. In the first season it took all of about 15 minutes for me to get sucked and begging for more. The second season took at least 2-3 episodes before I wanted to say OK what's next?? And now about 14 episodes I am hooked but it is also at this same point(1/2 way done) that the first one was too .... its in a slight stall -- it does hit a lull in the drama for a bit but I can live with it as it gives you some time to digest all that is occurred.

The major thing that comes to mind (and is a problem with the show) is believability. I mean just how much sh*t can happen in one day???? Ahhhh who cares, I love show and will be happy to purchase Season 3 when it hits the shelves next September.

Thank you Fox, the writers, and actors of the show for giving me some very good TV to watch!!

Also thanks to Ron Epstein for his wonderful review of Season 1 last year and his insistance that EVERYONE go out and purchase the boxset and watch it.

So many thanks to all!!

Greg

17. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

The whole amnesia think from 1 was a little absurd, now that I think about it. But I am not going to let one little segment take away from my enjoyment [​IMG]

18. Eman_Ramos

Eman_Ramos Stunt Coordinator

Just finished the 1st disc of S2.

This show is like crack for me.

19. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

The only complaint I have so far is the amnesia thing.

20. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

I think 13 episodes would work better for this show..they just start coming up with all sorts of crap when they have to fill 24 episodes