Lets hear your experiences seeing missplaced spkrs at another person house

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dean L, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

I'll start off,

A friend of mine has the Def Tech pro 100 sub/sat system, a terrific system, but has the front left speaker in his bookshelf equipment rack about 4 feet above the floor, the front right speaker about 7 feet above the floor, not to mention enclosed in the wooden rack, w/not much breathing room.
    he has a long leather sofa, with both the rear left and right speakers stuffed behind the end of the sofa positioned upwards AAAAAHHHHRG!!!
    he at least has the sub placed in a corner.
    Such potential, he has for terrific sound and a great speaker package, if he would just spend some time positioning the speakers or better yet, just get some cheap speaker stands.

not to mention 2 channel systems I have seen at other peoples homes, with the clasiac, right front speaker placed in the corner in the front of the room with the other speaker placed in back of the room in the oppisote corner. One person even thought he was getting true "surround sound" by doing this.

And of course how many times have you seen this clasic setup? One speaker standing straight up as it should, with the other speaker placed on its side.

Usualy I don't wanna be rude and don't say anything, but sometimes i feel i must, for them to get the full potential from their speakers.

Now lets hear your stories...

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

How about left and right speakers in different rooms ??!!?? I know there must be some people out there who have seen (or done) that! [​IMG]

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Watching those home remodeling shows & seeing all five sats of an HT system.....on top of a RPTV. Sometimes even the subwoofer is there too![​IMG]

4. John Titan

John Titan Stunt Coordinator

Holy crap nobody can be that dumb, can they?

I like when people go out and buy a 100$ "surround sound" system from wal-mart made by crap-sonic or something. Then they try to show it off!

5. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

My brother-in-law has a Sony surround system that could provide him with a nice system for 5.1.....but his two rear surrounds are on top of the entertainment system on either side of the center speaker, much like you see them at the big B&M stores. I was over there yesterday and noticed that they were not even hooked up anymore. When I asked him why they were disconnected he replied that "they just did not sound right to him" Well Duh!!!!!!!!! Sometimes the those that have problems can only be helped when they admit that they have a problem. Good guy.....just clueless on surround sound. Oh BTW when I tried to explain how it was to work he shrugged his shoulders and said that the surround thing was just too much of a hassle.

WOW!!!!!![​IMG]

6. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

John,

The other thing that I don't understand is why people feel compelled to spend 3000+ for a great HDTV and then turn around and then "splurge" on a 200 buck HTiB.

I think that it is a lack of knowledge on the part of the purchaser. Who'd a thunk it?

Me to priest... Ok confession time.....Forgive me father for I have sinned. Until I found this forum and others I too had visions of HTiB but luckily I'm in that 12 step program and have been "clean" for several months now.

Priest to me......Your are forgiven my child go and sin no more and stay away from HTiB's

[​IMG]

7. John Titan

John Titan Stunt Coordinator

I hear ya! Steps 1-11 is admitting you have a problem which we all have done here. Step 12 is getting a kick a@@ system!

8. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

A good friend of mine father's setup is just like that but minus the sub. He purchase a 65" RPTV over 2 years ago along with this system and to this day it is all still sitting up on top of his tv. I can't figure it out. He has a nice tv, a pretty nice JBL HTiB, HD, yet all his speakers are sitting in a row on top of this tv. In some ways I think he likes it that way because his tv and all his speakers are silver so it all matches. [​IMG]

9. JasonTan

JasonTan Extra

My grandparents have the 2-speaker setup at opposite ends of the room but that's just because it's a family room, not a theater room and the only thing coming out of those speakers are some christmas tunes now and again for everyone to hear in the room.

At my girlfriend's uncle's they have what appeared to be decent speakers (I didn't see make or model or anything) but he also has what appears to be a htib set up as well to the same tv. The tv is in a corner, some speakers and pointing generally in the right position but others are just pointing at odd angles that make no sense with no symetry between any of the speakers. Apparently he's very proud of his system and very into watching movies with good sound but it looks like he just placed them wherever they would fit in the crouded room at different levels pointing different places.

My friend's dad has a htib set up in his living room but I don't think he cares about sound so much as he cares about a rough surround feeling. It's mostly just the news, some tv shows and the occasional music that goes through it in any case. Set up in a very rough 5.1 fasion around the room that you can tell was basically eyeballed once in a rush and left alone ever since.

I don't know why you'de buy a system you either don't want to set up properly or don't have the room for... waste of money.

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Maybe this is the same deal as that situation where someone orders a $20 prime rib, and when it finally arrives at the table they smother it in ketchup. [​IMG]

HT is getting complicated but you'd think when anyone reads the word "surround", they would at least understand that they should be *surrounded* by sound and in turn, *surround* themselves with the speakers.

For more evidence of technology overload, check out this review on Circuit's website (I found this while looking for info on a center speaker):

my emphasis

[​IMG]

Because of scenarios like this, if someone I'm talking to seems like they just aren't into audio technology or really have a really wacky room shape, lately I've been advising them to just invest in a-brace yourselves [​IMG]-good stereo system (and remind them to use the dvd's stereo audio option if one is available-imaging will definitely be better this way*). Two speakers are much easier to place properly than five and movies still sound great......they just won't have the special effects. If they watch a lot of modern adventure films, I'll tell them a sub can definitely make these more fun to watch, but subs *do* need to be placed properly to get the buyer's moneys worth.

* this should also be used if an older Dolby Pro-Logic-only receiver is used. A downmixed 5.1 track will mostly just "confuse" the Pro-Logic decoder, resulting in weird surround effects or none at all. But: not all stereo tracks contain intentional surround effects.....but the 2.0 track on my Titan A.E. dvd sure does!

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

WOW [​IMG], that guy deserves the [email protected] of the year award.

12. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Well, maybe he was burned out after trying to figure out how to use his cell phone's address book, download & install the lastest Windows XP patch, figure out why the pay-per-view show he ordered isn't working, and get a human being on the phone to tell him why his credit card's interest rate just shot up to 24.2% from 9%.

[​IMG]

13. salim_N

salim_N Extra

Well, look at my bedroom setup. It's pretty f#@&ed up, but I have no room (ceiling is only 9 feet heigh):
    [​IMG]

Energy Take 2.2's faired very well but my new Atoms haven't[​IMG] .

14. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Do you mean the ceiling is 6 feet high? 9 feet is pretty usual for ceiling height. I think 8 is standard. How much room do you have on either side of the TV? Get some stands for the mains, if there is room to the sides, and put the center on a shelf under the TV.

15. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but can't you place the front mains on either side of the monitor? And the center can be put on a stand below the screen.

BTW: eight foot ceilings are the norm, so you are doing fine.

16. salim_N

salim_N Extra

No room at all:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

salim

well at least you don't have all your speakers on that shelf.....but it does look rather cramped for you[​IMG]

18. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Salim- It might not help much, but if you could do any tilting of your speakers down, that might help a little bit.

When I go over anyone's place, speaker placement is the first thing I look for. I look for what's wrong (typically too close to walls), and then I look to see if it can be improved at all. Some people simply do not have the room, and they are kind of stuck. But some do, and I kindly suggest that they might try moving the speakers out from the walls. I quickly differentiate between subs, and that you typically want corner reinforcement for those low freqs, but that's not what you want for main speakers. Sometimes it sinks in.

The other big thing I look for is the floor. Some people have hard wood. Looks good, sure, but putting an area rug on the floor to mellow that reflection helps a bunch too.

But what really chaps my hide? [​IMG] Really expensive setups in those freaking AV Interiors-type mags where they have on-wall or in-wall speakers. I don't care how much money you spend on a speaker, but you simply cannot get good sound that way. Surrounds and rears if you don't have the room, but the 3 fronts? I just shake my head in disbelief. I have emailed HT mag numerous times in that why *don't* they publish freq response plots for in-walls or on-walls. They basically say that their readers know that speakers like that have a poor response, so that's why they only publish response plots for free-standing speakers. Yeah, OK... But how do they know if you don't tell them? Wait, is it because they don't want to piss off their advertisers by publishing how bad a speaker like that will perform?

19. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

A friend asked me to check his neighbor's system- he didn't think it was set up correctly. It wasn't.

When I ran the receiver's test tones, the surrounds were in a separate bedroom, and the 'B' speaker output was being used as surrounds.
    he thought it sounded much better when re-wired.

20. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Salim, I'll mention it again, try flipping the Atoms over so the tweeters are on the bottom rather than the top. Adding a bit of angle would probably help too, but they are so close to the ceiling that I think you'd have to angle them a bit too much.