Directors Lets Have Some Fun!!!!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ted Pugh, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Ted Pugh

Ted Pugh Stunt Coordinator

Say you are building a new dedicated theater in your home and the room is set up acoustically correct and you have $25,000 to spend on all your equipment. What would you purchase from equipment to speakers? You have too spend it on equipment or you lose it. What do you think.

Ted

2. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

$25,000 isn't really that much. My dream system would exceed 25K with pre/pro and amps alone.

3. John S

John S Producer

I think I would keep the audio portion I own now and/or buy it again, and put everything I could into the video portion. $25K would buy some really sweet large video... lol

4. Ted Pugh

I know it is not much but a fair amount for audio and video for a really nice sounding system. I think I would buy a Sony VPL HS 20 Projector, Aragon Sound Stage Pre/Pro, Aragon 2007 amp, Denon 2900, B&W N804, B&W HTM1, B&W N805 rears and surrounds, B&W ASW 800 Sub, Carada 106'' Screen and Video processor/scaler. This would come close to $25500 but lets say a 10% discount and then the rest toward wire/connectos.

How would this sound.

5. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

6. Ted Pugh

Chris,

Sweet. What does it cost. I probably don't want to know, do I? If we could only win the lottery.

7. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

not my dream system, but if i had $25k to spend and needed to do HT/Music, I would do the following:

Video
    Beng 8700 $5.2k (internet pricing)
    Sreen $1k
    Denon DVD 2200 $400
    Zinwell BriteView $500

Total video, $7.1k

Audio
    Rotel 1066 $1.2k
    Rotel RMB 1095 $1.6k
    B&W N802 $8k
    B&W N803 $5k
    B&W HTM@ $2k

Total Audio $17.8

Total package, $24.9k

Rationale...

The BenQ got good reviews and is the cheapest HD2 chip DLP out there...except for maybe the Sharp 10000U, which I would get if it was cheaper...i.e. the cheaper one wins...

This and a good screen will really take care of the video portion...it will provide a very bright and vibrant 90-100" screen at 720p...if i had another $400, I would get the lumagen over the zinwell...if i just get a small discount on the speakers, i should be able to get the lumagen...

The reason for the denon 2200 is the following, its picture is about as good as you can get for under $1000, competing with the denon 2900...given that i have a very small collection of multi-channel music and that the digital format has yet to be implemented for multi-channel music and that dvi and hd players are in the relatively near future, i didnt reel that this was the place to spend a lot of money....

On the audio side, the speakers dominate the equation for me. Im more of a music guy, so I left out the sub and got some big speakers up front, if I was really doing this, I would listen closely to the audio physics, vandersteen, revel, wilson, jm labs, psb platimun lines and a few others...but if i had to spend the money right now, i would get the n802's...they will provide incredible 2 channel sound and with 5 full range speakers, i wont suffer for bass performance on the movie front...

on the rotel, well, it was one of the most powerful cheap separate combos i could get...if i had the money, i would look at getting a mccormack dna-225 separate amp for the 802s or maybe a marsh 200...that would have to wait though...

Rich

8. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

9. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Here's what i'd put together...

Pre: Rotel 1098 - $3000

Amps: Rotel 1090 - $2000
    Rotel 1095 - $2000
    2 Samson S100s - $900

Video: Denon 5900 DVD - $1500
    JVC DTheater DVHS - $500
    Sony SAT-HD200 - $650
    Infocus Screenplay 7200 - $6000
    DIY Screen - $50

Speakers: 7 Rocket 750 Signatures - $5250
    Dual DIY Tumulsts - $2000 finished to match rockets

Cabling: All DIY Canare - $500 (long runs to projector)

Total - $24350 (pre shipping/tax)

My electronics-to-speaker ratio is a little high, but the Rockets are an exceptional value. I also probably skimped a little on video compared to what others would get, but I couldn't justify taking away from another area, especially when i'm almost completely happy w/ my RCA 52" Widescreen HDTV.

10. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

How about this system.

TV: Sony KDF70XBR950
    pre/pro: Theta Casa Nova
    Amp: Theta Intrepid
    Speakers: Energy Veritas mains: V2.4, CC:V2.0C rears:V2.0R
    Sub: SVS 20-39PCi
    DVD: Meridian 598

11. Rich Wenzel

you can get that for $25k...i thought the meridian was pretty close to 10k alone...

Rich

12. Ted Pugh

Rich,

I would love to own the B&W N802's. I would need a serious amp upgrade though. Everyone seems to think it takes 400 watts or so to drive them. They would look real good in my theater and that is without hooking them up.

My understanding is that everyone is better off spending a whole lot more on speakers and less on electronics. Is this so?

Ted

13. Ted Pugh

You know, I need to go back to work and quit dreaming. lol

14. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I'd buy a Bose Lifestyle 50 System. Only $3500 and it sounds better than anything for 10 times the price!! You'll save over $21k to spend on a nice plasma TV!!![​IMG] NOT!!

15. Ted Pugh

Ed, funny real funny.[​IMG]

16. Rich Wenzel

Ted,

Everyone says you need lots and lots of power to drive certain speakers (those B&W's especially), however, I don't agree. Im not saying more is not beter, but I dont think its necessary...

I heard some wilson sophias powered by a Linn 30 watt integrated amp...sounded great....

As for the speakers...

well, most people will agree that what drives sound quality the most are speakers and room acoustics and not necessarily in that order...

after that people debate the benefits of spending more on the source, pre/pro, amps, and cables/interconnects....

where some audiophiles really divide is when you get to quality stuff, some might say that once you hit $5k speakers (number made up arbitrarily) you should spend more on the front end, others say keep spending more on speakers, some say it should be rought equally...

im more in the speakers camp...

Rich

17. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

Rich

The Meridian 598 retails from $5200 to $6000 depending on options. It's one of the few DVD players i've heard that I would use as a CD source.

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This is really a poll, so let's do it here. FYI, you can do hardware-related polls. Thanks.

19. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I think I want to get myself the Bose Lifestyle 50 as well. It's so small and so powerful, and so much extra money left over... Umm, yeah right.