Let's forget snapper cases & anamorphic for a while & CONCENTRATE ON ASPECT R ATIO!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    My feeling is that OAR is a crisis issue. If we can put aside other petitions and gripes about things such as snapper cases and anamorphic and DTS, etc. and just hone in one this pan-and-scan issue, I think we'll be a stronger force for it. We can worry about the other stuff down the road. THIS OAR ISSUE IS WAR!!! If our forces are divided, we loose.

2. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

My question is: Can this world (as we know & love it today) survive this crisis??!!
    The OAR War is nearly too much to bear!
    (I'm building a good, solid bomb shelter for when this battle really starts!)
    (I advise you HTF'ers to follow suit in short order! And remember to take all your OAR DVDs down to the shelter with you! Leave the Pan-and-Scans upstairs for the bomb.) [​IMG]

3. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

Dick

Personally anamorphic is equally important, OAR non anamorphic is just as bad as pan & scan, non anamorphic DVD's look just like VHS on my system (56" RPTV)

I understand your point but these little disks that we've all been spending our money on, are going to be coasters in less than ten years, I know it's hard to beleive as you look lovingly at your Book of the Dead packaging, but I'll guarantee than within ten years assuming you havent dumped it on eBay, you'll look at that packaging with the same distain you currently do for your Big Trouble in little China p&s VHS.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I could not disagree with this more. Sure anamorphic OAR is better than non-anamorphic OAR. But any OAR is tons better than any p&s. Vertigo isn't anamorphic but it's still a great disc that looks great and is OAR. If it were p&s that would be a travesty.

Your statement is like saying robbery is just as bad as murder. They're both bad, but one's much worse.

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Agreed George. Give me non-anamorphic OAR over P&S (which is non-anamorphic) any day. Give me anamorhphic over both [​IMG]

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Obviously, if you are going to narrow it down to OAR vs. Anamorphic enhancement, it's no contest. OAR is far more important. However, what should be fought is that the studio's take the necessary steps to do the DVD right the first time. This includes OAR, anamorphic treatment, audio and extras.
    Bruce

7. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

8. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

For those of us with 16x9 displays anamorphic is very important. An open matte DVD looks exactly the same as a non-anamorphic 1.85 one since we simply zoom the picture to restore the (approximately) correct aspect ratio.

9. Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham Stunt Coordinator

10. KlausWinkler

KlausWinkler Agent

I agree with Bruce here.

There is no reason not to demand both.