Let's drop the term "fullscreen" because it hurts the OAR cause!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Clint B, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

If you think about it, "fullscreen" is a very misleading term. Although we all know that "fullscreen" is bad, many uneducated consumers may consider "fullscreen" to be a good term because "it will fill my screen AND i won't miss out on any of the picture...it is the 'full' picture, right?" I've actually heard of people believing that with "fullscreen" you see MORE of the movie. So my point is that we should stop referring to MAR presentations as "fullscreen" and call them what they are: "pan and scan" or "modified aspect ratio" presentations that do not show the entire film, nor the film as the director intended. Down with "fullscreen" as an acceptable term, and up with "modified aspect ratio," "pan and scan" or something else that suggests what is REALLY happening. Thoughts?

2. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

You gotta hand it to Fox, even though they do release pan n scan DVDs, at least they label them as pan n scan, instead of "full frame" or "fullscreen."

3. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I only find the "full frame" terminology to be misleading. I bet very few "full frame" releases actually show the entire frame as it was exposed. The term fullscreen will be obscured once the masses upgrade to a 16:9 TV.

Richard, sadly I've seen plenty of Fox DVDs at Wal-Mart with a fantastic "FULL SCREEN EDITION" banner on the top of them. The back may say pan and scan, but who would bother reading that? [​IMG] Here's an example.

4. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Try telling the studios to drop it!

How does chop screen, crop screen, or loser version sound?

5. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

Tony wrote:

6. Jason Stocker

I think that the two versions should be called:
    Theatrical Version (widescreen)and
    Modified TV Version ("full screen")
    that would make the most sense.

7. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I agree totally. I dislike the term "Full Screen" for the very reason cited above. So many people just don't get what's going on when a movie filmed in widescreen format gets crammed onto a television set that's a different shape. Such a basic concept, yet very few people I've explained it to really got it. I even tried taking their paper money and folding the edges off and asking if they liked that better. Maybe I should rip their money instead.

8. Kimi-R

Kimi-R Agent

9. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I doubt studios are going to be falling all over themselves to use terminology that makes their product look bad. I agree that the term is misleading, but let's be realistic. It's not gonna happen. As long as they continue to MAKE pan & scan DVDs, they're going to do whatever they can do to SELL pan & scan DVDs. Your energy is probably better spent helping to educate consumers.

10. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

How about "Retarded Version" since a 4:3 presentation of a widescreen film retards the laft and right side of the picture?

Avtually Jason's labels might be more PC or CF (Consumer Friendly).

11. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

How about this...
    Real Version (OAR)
    Modified Version (MAR)

12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

While fullscreen may be misleading, the term pan and scan should definitely NOT be used instead.

Pan and scan is when they actually pan and scan the widescreen print to fit into the format. It is done mainly for 2.35 films. For many of the fullscreen titles, they don't do that, they either zoom in to cut off the sides or open the matte.

So, the terms aren't interchangable.

13. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Another aspect of Fullscreen naming convention that could crop up. Now this is a big IF but if the masses finally decided that they want OAR movies. They see pre 1950's movie or say a Stanley Kubrick film but decline to by it because they think that "fullscreen" is now bad. Even though those films are presented in there proper AR. This is the reason I also don’t like the term "widescreen" because not all movies in there correct AR are very wide.

Personally OAR movies should have no label and MAR have a label like Pan&Scan or reformatted. If an OAR disk did have a label. Theatrical Release/Edition would be preferable. Although there is still the Kubrick debate.

Here is a history question kind of off topic; didn’t the term "widescreen" come from the use of anamorphic lenses to shoot in the "Scope" 2.35:1 AR?

14. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

The problem is that "Pan & Scan" is not a consumer friendly term. Most consumers don't understand what that means.

"Fullscreen" (although misleading) tells the consumer that it'll fill their screen.

Obviously, a new/simple word indicating that the picture has been modified to fill the screen is needed.

The studio's know that rectifying this complaint will NOT sell more discs. They'll think "You obviously know the difference, so purchase the widescreen version... who cares what other people are purchasing and if they know what they're missing?"

Also, when widescreen TVs becomes the norm - there'll be a good number of consumers that aren't happy with the way their "fullscreen" DVDs look on their widescreen sets (either the actors will look short and fat, or it'll cut off the head room due to zooming).
    Consumers will have to re-purchase their titles to get the widescreen DVDs. The studio's love double/triple-dipping. Why would the studio's want to give up this future money generator?

15. Kal

Kal Agent

I'd simply be happy if studio's stopped making MISTAKES during the labelling of movie OAR's.

Take the recent movie: Roger & Me (by Michael Moore)

It was filmed originally in 4x3 so the DVD is also 4x3, but the label on the back of the DVD incorrectly states that "THIS FILM HAS BEEN MODIFIED AS FOLLOWS FROM IT'S ORIGINAL VERSION: IT HAS BEEN FORMATTED TO FIT YOUR SCREEN".

(Not only was it *not* modified, as per the original poster's question, how do they know what aspect ratio *my* screen is???)

Sheesh.

Kal

16. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

17. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Why not Censored Version (Pan & Scan) and Uncut (Widescreen)
    What is the difference if some of the frame is missing or all of the frame is missing to me you are censoring it from my eyes beit for morality or not it is the same thing. Uncut the frame is left intact.

18. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

I think a banner proudly stating:

Specially Modified for your 19" Goldstar TV!

Would do wonders for studio sales. [​IMG]

19. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

20. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

AMC isn't helping with their commercials for "fullscreen" Planet of the Apes and Alien Ressurection. The spot shows the black bars being removed, revealing more picture information. Totally misleading. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Kyle