1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Do Streaming Net Radio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

There's only one FM station with ok reception where I live that I like to dial in, so it's time I started using my computer access, don't ya think?

Help me start using internet radio and saving stations as favorites. I've got the hardware and software -- Windows 98/OE 5.X, AltecLansing THX w/ woofer 5-spkr sound system, a good sound card as well as Creative SB Live (I haven't used)the MusicMatch Jukebox4 program and both RealOne and Windows Media Player.

Where do I begin?

BTW I am not ready to go for CD burner yet and I've never used/tried MP3 downloads.

bill

2. Tony G

Tony G Stunt Coordinator

Bill,

The problem recently with internet radio is the court decision about a year or so ago saying that voices in commercials had to be compensated for the added audience of the internet. That caused most terrestrial U.S. stations to pull the plug on their streaming internet offerings. I'm not sure if that has been resolved or not. Before that, I listened to a few stations, since pulled off the net.

You didn't say what types of music you like. That would make a difference in my recommendations. I'm a classic rock guy, myself.

Tony

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Tony, it's all about choices, isn't it?

Anyway, I guess this is a no-brainer for the most part. I go to my WindowsMediaPlayer, click Radio, and I find some dozen stations/music genre just a click away. I guess this gets me out the door.

4. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Not sure if you like Adult Album Alternateive type music, but I am hooked on RadioParadise. It's about all I have on in my home (although I also listen to the progressive channel on cable's Music Choice). They are run by the same folks who operate the famous KPIG. And NO cmmercials! To give you an idea of the music, here is the playlist for the last 1 1/2 hours:
    Led Zeppelin - The Rain Song
    Elvis Costello - Hide Your Love Away
    Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby McGee
    U2 - Wild Honey
    Folk Implosion - Chained to the Moon
    Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery
    Tori Amos - concertina
    R.E.M. - Nightswimming
    Counting Crows - Amy Hit The Atmosphere
    Kate Bush - Jig of Life
    Afro Celt Sound System - North (parts 1 & 2)
    Euphoria - Little Gem
    Sonny Landreth - Turning Wheel
    Peter Gabriel - Come Talk To Me
    Cowboy Junkies - Dark Hole Again
    Dandy Warhols - Sleep
    There location is: http://www.radioparadise.com/
    I actually stream mine through itunes.
    p.s. I could do without the Jethro Tull [​IMG]

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

oh. I see there are individual websites (redundant) catering to specific music. thks, Pamela.

I used RealPlayer broadband 128kb. Do you think WinAmp is

nicer? Midrange seems veiled right now.

6. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I stream my own Shoutcast via (for me) WinAmp. The computer chooses random songs from a "playlist" I put together of about 7000 songs. I can override the computer to play specific songs, but mostly I just let it do its own thing. Here's an example of the last 20 songs played:
    Ashley Maher - Donegal Current Song
    06:35:44 Channel Light Vessel - Stone in Your Palm
    06:32:25 Heather Nova - Walking Higher
    06:28:07 Tÿtes Noires - Dear Jane
    06:25:19 Barbara Acklin - Love Makes A Woman
    06:21:34 Kina - Hurt So Bad
    06:17:03 Laurie Anderson - Late Show
    06:13:07 Innocence Mission, The - Keeping Awake
    06:07:32 Lost In The Stars - Johnny Johnson Medley
    06:02:14 Kate Bush - Moments Of Pleasure (Instrumental Version) (192)
    05:57:01 My Scarlet Life - The Immigrant's Lament
    05:52:16 Eddi Reader - Thats Fair
    05:48:07 Marisa Monte - Diariamente
    05:43:27 Kate Bush - The Dreaming
    05:40:26 Sally Oldfield - Wampum Song
    05:33:43 Arling and Cameron - Gershwin
    05:30:00 Channel Light Vessel - Loose Connections
    05:23:48 Kate Bush - Hello Earth
    05:20:52 Julie London - Cry Me A River
    05:17:03 Arling and Cameron - Speeding Down The Highway
    My Shoutcast info page (including most recent playlists):
    http://vickie.homeip.net:8000/

7. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

When I am at work I always use ECHO.com. No commercials and you can skip songs that you dont want to hear. You can create your own station and rate albums,artists, and songs and it will play music based upon how you rate things.

8. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Bill,
    >>There's only one FM station with ok reception where I live that I like to dial in, so it's time I started using my computer access, don't ya think?
    There are many ways to listen to radio via the internet as well as options for MP3s and you have gotten some good suggestions already for them.
    I am offering an alternative solution to your limited FM reception. Have you thought about satelite radio? XM radio offers 100 stations, some commercial free, for $10 a month. The quality is very good, better than FM. You would heep up to your stereo system and it would also sound better than internet radio or MP3s from your computer.
    And no I am not a XM salesman, just offering an alternative. [​IMG]
    Glenn

9. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

I'm not up to listening to 24 bit WMA , 64 or 96 MP3 streams. 128 MP3 is fine, but 160 would be much better. Is there a good source for 160k stations? and if not, is there a good source that has alot of 128k stations?
    I can find 128k, but not alot of them.
    thanks.
    (tried winamp.com, windows media player, itunes)
    its not that bad I guess, I've heard MP3's that you can hear the person putting the needle down. Good turntables are nice, but this wasn't one of them.[​IMG]

10. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

kcrw.com (local Los Angeles public radio station) has a great all music feed, very ecelctic mix. Morning Becomes Eclectic is a GREAT show. They are currecntly in there winter pledge drive so more commercials than usual right now. Quality isn't that great (32 k stereo streams) but it is good enough for background listening while I am at work plus it is a good way to hear new stuff you never heard of.

spinner.com has some nice feeds, lots of variety. I really like their New Ground weekly show.

11. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

I found a good trance station @ 160k by using this "Sonicbox iM Tuner". The software itself is really cool, but I refuse to install Real Audio products, so some of the stations are not available to me. But the interface is really functional. An entire drop-down list of categories is available and then you can scroll through all the stations in that category.
    I'm maxed out at 2Mbps right now downloading a bunch of stuff, and the tuner hasn't skipped a beat.
    http://www.imnetworks.com/products/tuner.shtml