Lethal Weapon: deleted scenes NOT in the director's cut DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Rolando, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Hope someone here can help relieve my fear that I have gone insane.

I posted this once before a couple of years ago but got no comforting replies.

I am convinced that when I originally saw the first lethal weapon there is a scene that now appears modified in all subsequent video releases including the director's cut DVD.

It's the final fight between Mel Gibson's character and Gary busey's. I seem to remember it being more fluid and longer. I am 100% sure that they started off slowly and used different fighting styles as they went along. I even remember there being a subtitle saying the style when they switched lie "ju-jitsu" and they changed their stance and proceeded until it degraded to plain brawling.

Everytime I mention it to a friend I get responses from "you imaged it" to "I think that was in the spoof, Loaded Weapon".

I had dismissed it but I was re-watching it 2 weeks ago and that scene looks wrong to me. it looks badly edited and different in "flow" from the rest of the movie. Riggs says: "you want a shot at the title" and next thing you know they are grappling at each other, already all wet and dirty like they've been fighting for 10 mintes. ANd when I saw the end credit there is a section name "consultants" for various fighting styles. Where in the movie is there a scene or scenes with varying fighting styles? What were these consultants for if not for this "scene" that might have been edited down to the mess we see now.

Anyone know anything, anyone else remember this? Am I nuts? Imagining? Could I be mixing movies? where could I look this or get a definitive answer? is there a Richard donner site or lethal weapon fansite?

All replies and ideas welcome.

2. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

I can PROMISE you , there was no subtitle reflecting the fighting styles. Hate to tell you , but I saw this movie in the theater, on VHS, and on DVD (both the original and director's cut), and I have to concur with your friends--you imagined this, or maybe you're confusing it with another film.

3. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

I believe that Busey and Gibson do engage in a few forms of material arts, but in all the versions I have ever seen there is no subtitle.

-- Matt

4. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Stunt Coordinator

Maybe you are thinking of something you read about the movie. On the Director's Cut DVD there is a production note of how they used different martial arts coordinators (even a jail-like martial art used by prisoners). I thought that was pretty cool. By the way, has anyone seeen the show "I'm with Busey"? There's one show where he takes the kid to a dojo and tries to teach the kid to fight. It is so funny. Gary Busey knows absolutely nothing about martial arts, but he acts like he does. I had to rewatch "Lethal Weapon" just to see if it was a stunt double in the final fight scene. It's hard to tell if it was him or not. If it was him in that scene doing the fighting, he can't fight like that anymore.

5. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    The subtitle thing sounds like it would come from a parody. Been awhile since I've seen it, but perhaps "National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1"?

6. Nathan McMahan

Nathan McMahan Stunt Coordinator

A little off base but I engaged in a guilty pleasure over the weekend and waded through Doc Savage Man of Bronze on VHS again. In the climatic fight scene between Doc and Captain Seas they subtitle each of the horrendously bad fighting styles, Gung Fu, Karate, Bo staff, Boxing, Jui Jitsu. etc.
    I am also positive there was no subtitle in Lethal Weapon.