What's new

Let your voice be heard!! TAKE THE DUALDISC SURVEY! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The survey requires that you have actually bought one of their releases. I haven't, so I'm not filling it out.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Filled it out since I own two DualDiscs. They seem to be very concerned about whether the slightly curved case with the button-release makes or breaks your DualDisc experience.

Lots of questions about multichannel but no questions (nor even a rating option) for higher fidelity sound quality. Clearly they feel that that stuff about sampling rates is pure technoid. Nonetheless I included it in an "other" option.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Let them have it!! They give you a part to list features you would like to see from them in future releases. I put down high resolution DVD-A support. I'm sure the more people pester them for high resolution the better chance we'll have. Never hurts.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
If you use any overly technical terms, they'll know you aren't a regular music fan though.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned high res. But I also mentioned that I'd prefer a 2-disc CD/DVD-A set rather than DualDisc too. ;)

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering

I didn't know there were "normal" music fans. I pay the same price for my discs as "they" do, I just seem to care more about what that money buys.

If the only people that fill this survey out are enthuasists for the most part, maybe that will speak volumes. If the "normal" people don't fill it out, maybe Sony will decide they aren't buying it anyways.

AricB

Second Unit
was kind of disappointing that they didnt even ask about high res really, like who freaking cares about the button on the case? At this point, I'll continue to buy Duals up until one freezes in my player(a JVC dvd-a carousel) which hasn't happened yet, and as long as there is a multichannel mix, preferably high res. Currently own NIN, Bowie's Reality, and Donna's. If new NIN comes out this way, I'm sure I'll be buying that too.

I'd have considered Velvet Revolver and Judas Priest, but neither has 5.1, no sale.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I lied and said I bought the AC/DC Back in Black disc- well, I probably would have bought it if it at least had a multi-channel sound mix on it, but it's just stereo PCM on the DVD side, not much point to that- doesn't seem to have much video content either. (I do have this album on 8-track though!) I said I wanted either real DVD-Audio and/or SACD included on the open-ended answer.
Funny how Sony seems to be pushing Dualdisc in a big way now, but won't use their full potential by including DVD-Audio (reason being they're backing SACD, but they're not putting out too many of those!)

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

Hahaha that's hilarious, I did the same thing! I remember seeing the album on Sony's site a while back and getting so excited, and then.... noticing it was only in stereo. Grrrr! So yeah I said I'd purchased it (I haven't, though I have the remastered CD, the original CD, and the old vinyl release, lol) and that I wouldn't recommend it because of no 5.1 MLP mix, etc etc. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
Too much to do about nothing.

I've only a couple of complaints about DualDisc.

1. The format should be listed on the disc, period...If it has a 24 bit 88.4 kHz stereo track, that should be listed that way...If it only had Dolby Digital 5.1, then it should have that on the packaging...

DVD-Audio has the same problems.

2. The almost baseless complaints across the internet on "they won't play in anything"...Rubbish...

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

I agree with this 100%, which is why I'm annoyed at Sony's obscure terminology for their DD releases. However, in what way does DVD-A have this same problem? DVD-A releases ARE in hi-rez...

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Interesting that Sony/BMG chose to use the same color scheme at their site as the lame DualDisc.com site.

Just noticed that an Indigo Girl's All That We Let In Dual is either "coming soon" or was released 3/29 (the site has conflicting info.). So here's another significant Sony artist (in addition to John Mayer) for whom Sony is releasing a Dual of an album previously available on SACD.

-p

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Perhaps the Recording Industry should start reading some of the review sites about their new 'product' that all of us seem to want :thumbsdown: so badly. Dual Disc is for the iPod/mp3 crowd who download their music for free anyways. Another Marketing Plan by dodo's for dodo's......

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/APR05/d...c/dualdisc.php

To stay on topic :) - took the Survey, small fib about buying a disc though. Said I took it back and wouldn't purchase any more.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I honestly think the next hi-rez we'll see out of Sony will be multi-channel PCM on Blu-Ray. It's pretty clear they're not actively supporting SACD software. Like Paul, I took the survey too. I'll buy non-Dual Disc hi-rez of music I like of whatever format like the new Beck album.

Paul, that's one reason the music industry is in the state it is in. They need to take the blinder's off and deal with the problems like getter cheaper quality software out there. It is clear the avg. person probably does not care all that much about hi-rez. The major labels should just farm out work on profitable hi-rez to places like Chesky, AIX, Audio Fidelity, Reference Recordings, MoFi, etc. and that way the people interested in hi-rez can have them and not be held back by the format war for the mass market.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks