What's new

Let Us Know - Fonts & Buttons Poll (1 Viewer)

Which would you prefer?

• Old text and buttons

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Old text, new buttons

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • New text and links instead of buttons

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • New text but with old buttons

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
After our upgrade to the next version of XenForo, we made a few minor font and button changes to improve readability and clean up the site.

We're looking for feedback on whether you prefer the old, or the new font, as well as the appearance of the Like, Quote, Reply links.

Old Text and buttons:
1608493775751.png

New Text and Links instead of Buttons:

1608493800103.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looking at them side by side, the fonts are not a big deal and I can see how the new font may be a bit more readable. But I do miss the buttons. The links just seem like a stray line of text at the bottom of the frame. With the buttons, the functions are clearly separate from the text body.

So my vote was new text but old buttons.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think people nitpick too much.

To clarify, the new way is cleaner. I see no real need for the extra graphics of the old way, but in the end I really don’t see it being any big deal at all.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've just posted and wanted to include a smiley. I couldn't but didn't have a problem with the previous system. I also wanted to preview my post but the link didn't work. I suggest someone looks long and hard at this new system and thinks long and hard as to why it was necessary to change from the old, tried-and-tested format.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
I've just posted and wanted to include a smiley. I couldn't but didn't have a problem with the previous system. I also wanted to preview my post but the link didn't work. I suggest someone looks long and hard at this new system and thinks long and hard as to why it was necessary to change from the old, tried-and-tested format.
The editor is slightly different, but smilies are there like before:
1608502111350.png

Upgrades, change and advancement are inevitable - and essential these days. I'm sure you'll get used to things quite soon - as the differences from the last version are fairly minimal.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I prefer the new look overall but there was nothing wrong with the old one either.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I use the Dark Mode theme which makes the background black and the text white. Or at least that's what it used to do.

Using that design, the text when I am entering a message now is white like it always was. However, it looks kind of grey-ish when reading the posted messages in various threads. It would be nice if there was a way to make the text show up as slightly sharper white when reading posts. Since it's now sort of grey on black, that's harder to read. There isn't enough contrast.

Am I expressing this clearly enough? It makes sense in my head but I'm not sure if it makes sense to someone else when reading it.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
I went with new text and old buttons. The new text appears sharper to me, but I prefer the buttons being delineated from the background.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
I use the Dark Mode theme which makes the background black and the text white. Or at least that's what it used to do.

Using that design, the text when I am entering a message now is white like it always was. However, it looks kind of grey-ish when reading the posted messages in various threads. It would be nice if there was a way to make the text show up as slightly sharper white when reading posts. Since it's now sort of grey on black, that's harder to read. There isn't enough contrast.

Am I expressing this clearly enough? It makes sense in my head but I'm not sure if it makes sense to someone else when reading it.
Jake, thanks for the feedback. Will see what I can do!

EDIT: Please take a look now and let me know if this is better

Edwin-S

Premium
None of those text editor buttons work on my S10..I can bring up submenus, but none of the buttons do anything. If I want to spoilerize anything, I have to type in the spoiler tags.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
Dave, I was attempting to read the spoiler content in this post:

and the spoiler text went from unreadable to mostly unreadable :) when I hovered over it with my cursor. Is there something else I should be doing to resolve spoiler text? This is with a Chrome browser on a Macintosh running El Capitan. Thanks.

- Walter.

Appears to be the fact you have two different spoiler types you can pick in the editor. Inline or Regular. The blurry one is Inline Spoiler, and uses the bbcode ISPOILER. I've moved around the buttons in the toolbar so spoiler is now visible easily:

1608512431758.png

questrider

Premium
Real Name
Brian
This newer font works much better with italics. The old font would slant the italics into the next non-italicized word making it look like there wasn't a space. And I think a font that respects italics is important on a site such as HTF where we're always discussing major works with titles which should always be italicized.

And I'm one who likes buttons to be buttons. The newer text version of the button area just doesn't differentiate itself away from the body of the message enough. And the lines around the new buttons are very light and subtle too so it shouldn't disrupt the newer look much if any. However, just like anything else, I'm sure I'll get used to the newer non-button version in time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
I like the new buttons(links). The box around each one seems unnecessary to me.

Looks a bit ugly with those Grey squares around the text.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegekko77
Recent bookmarks