let the viewers decide...but why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Mar 14, 2003.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i have heard people complaining about it. it seems to me that they think it would be better a better movie if the director give the viewers a chance to decide whether they should be happy or sad or whatever when viewing a certain scene. but why? whats the fun? it is like watching a movie without any soundtrack at all, very dry.

besides, we hometheater buffs want to see a movie the way the creator wants it to be seen, right? just like the full screen versus original aspect ratio thingy.

and, to people who like to decide for themselves...my suggestion is to get out of movie theater 10 minutes before the movie ends. then you can all decide for yourselves whatever happen in the end.

i also found people who prefer a movie to have a not-happy-ending. well if the director wants it to happy end, why the complaints?

sometimes i just dont understand whats on people's mind.

2. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

The people who want Pan & Scan DVD's are the same ones who go to test screenings and get to voice their opinion. When these people get a chance to play "armchair director" they rise to the occasion.

Studios want to appeal to the masses so they ask people for comments before a movie is released. They profile people at theaters and invite them to a free movie. After the free movie, the people running the meetings ask loaded questions that people fall for. If the movie is subtitled, they say things like, "You didn't like those subtitles, did you?" They ask if the movie was understood and at which times the plot may have become unclear. They ask if you liked the music and then they ask for your general thoughts on the movie.
    Depending on what these people say, changes can be made.

I think if people want to decide the oputcome of the movie themselves, they should just play video games.
    Matt

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I think of a movie as being a series of parts and scenes that should build towards a solid conclusion. By offering a change in ending, you can have something that feels tacked on and isn't as well supported narratively or thematically by the film that preceded it.

This is usually the most obvious when a film is building towards a tragedy and somehow pulls a happy ending out of nowhere.

I would probably prefer that we get bad films without tinkering due to studio/test screening involvement than to have good films diluted by appealing to the lowest common denominator or a marketing spreadsheet.

4. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

My sister is in France right now and she said one of her girls she lives with (not sure how old she is) likes American movies because they always end happily, unlike French movies which aren't afraid to end on a sad note.

Not sure how this fits in, but just got that e-mail from her and thought I would share.

Chris

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Yeah, growing up I had heard a legend that it was illegal for American movies to end with the bad guy winning or having an unhappy ending. At the time, I was hard pressed to challenge it.

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    But did you really want 'ET' to leave Elliot behind at the end of ET, wasn't that a bit of a downer? Elliot is crying that his best friend has left and will never ever return, what a depressing ending, well thats how the director wanted it to end, but if ET was put before the public to decide on the appropriate ending, what will they go for?
    And would the film be as successful as it was (the most popular film ever at the time, unadjusted) with a different ending? Eh? Where'd you all go? [​IMG]

I mean I was really pissed off with James Cameron for having the Titanic hit an ice berg (of all things) and sinking, I would have had a nicer ending with the Titanic safely docking in New York harbor, no wait actually I would have had a freak tidal wave hit the ship and flip it over, than watch the survivors try to reach the bottom, which is now at the top, oh boy what a story, let me write this down...[​IMG]