What's new

Let me try this again. (1 Viewer)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I tried to post yesterday but I don't know what happened I got a server error when I submitted it so I'll try again.

Anyway I will be getting a RPTV within the next couple of months I have narrowed my choices down to either the new Sony WV600 or 700 series or the Mitsubishi Platinum Plus series. I really like the new Sonys front screen cover & think I might be better off with it because I have a three year old that likes to put his hands all over the tv once in a wile. That & it would be more compatible with my other stuff being all Sony. On the other hand I recently looked at the Mitsubishi sets & was very impressed with the picture quality of them. I would almost say I think they may have had a slightly better picture than the Sony sets, but the Mits were setting in a darker area so that could have been some of it. Anyway one thing that I am concerned with is calibration on the Mitsubishi. Are the service menus on them fairly easy to use? I know how to get around in the Sony service menus & have no trouble with them so I wont to be able to use them on the Mits if I go that route.
The other plus I have noticed is that I can get the Mits in a 65" for just a couple hundred more than the 57" Sony 600 series, but I'm not completely sure whether I wont to go with the 57" or 65" yet.
So I guess what I'm after here is anybodies opion on either or both of these sets. I have heard a lot of good things About the Mitsubishi sets but I have always had Sony stuff & good luck with them so far so I not sure what to do.

Thanks for any help.. Joe

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
6 of one half dozen of the other. Both have useable service menus. Id find it impossible to live with the Sony's screen though. I removed mine on my Toshiba when my daughter was 3 and my son was 4.

FWIW,

Gregg

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
:confused: 6 of one half dozen of the other?
Which one of the two would have better picture quality when calibrated? Or would they be close to the same? I don't know if I would like the Sony's screen because of possible glare & not being able to remove it if needed but I do like the clean look it has compared to others.
I don't think having a glare would be to big of a concern with my room, but than again I have never had a RPTV so I don't know how it would compare with my current 36" XBR as I get no glare on it with my room lighting.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Hay Gregg, I just noticed in another thread that you said you would be in St Louis in Feb. What would be the chances of getting you to stop by the good old corn fed state of IN to do some work after I settle on a set? I would possibly be able to get a buddy or two interested also.

David Glenn

Second Unit
Id find it impossible to live with the Sony's screen though.
Joe,

I just purchased the 57WV700 but I haven't received it yet. I was impressed when demoing the WV600. I've since read many good reviews at the avsforum.

Gregg,

Do you know of any way to cleanly remove the screens on the WV600/700's?

Have you calibrated any WV700's yet? If so, is there much improvement? If there is, I would be interested in your tour for the month of December.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Well I think my wife settled it she likes the Sony so I think I will be going with it.

My question now is are the WV700 worth the extra money compaired to the WV600 models? And is there any differance in picture quilty between going with the 57" or 65".

David Glenn

Second Unit
Joe,

Have you taken delivery on your RPTV? Did you end up going with the WV600/700?

I received my 57WV700 today and I'm very satisfied with both my standard cable broadcast and interlaced DVD. I'm going to hook up my Toshiba 4700 player to see if I can see an improvement with progressive scan.

It's hard to answer your question regarding paying more for the 700. I figured I might as well get the best in this sony line since I got such a good deal. From what I remember of viewing the 600, the 700 does seem to be an improvement in PQ, especially at larger viewing angles.

As far as the difference between the 57 and 65, I would imagine your primary concern would be the seating distance from the main viewing area.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
David, I wont be getting mine for a couple of months yet, but I have decided to definitely go with the Sony. Which one is still another matter. I would like to go with the WV700 but thats up to the wife, because I will be buying a new DVD player at the same time. As for the size I'm pretty sure I will be going with the 57" I think the 65" may be overkill in my current room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks