Let It Be...We Must Have It On DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunn, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Hard to believe Let It Be hasn't been released on DVD yet. I remember watching this as a kid way back when with my brothers and even my mom...she was curious as to what all the fuss was about...and she came away with a new respect for the music of the Beatles, which was a big surprise to my brothers and I. I haven't seen it since. The day it comes out on DVD I will pick it up and watch again.

Anyone have any info on a possible DVD?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I don't know what the distribution rights status is for Let It Be. Who owns the video rights to the film?

As you may know, A Hard Day's Night is in production.

Come to think of it, a new Help! disc would be nice.

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The rights to this are perpetually tied up; now that we sadly have another estate instead of another Beatle, I think we can add another 5 or 10 years onto its possible reappearance on video.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

This was released on laserdisc, VHS and Beta by Magnetic Video (now Fox Video), also on CED from RCA which is what I've got. The movie was put out by United Artists so MGM probably has the rights to it now, as Fox put out several United Artists movies on video that were later reissued by MGM. (CED collectors will know that several UA movies were put out by both RCA AND Fox during the same year; "Wargames" came out on both labels at the same time with a price difference of 1 cent!)

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

And the LD always goes for big money, nearly always over $300, often over $400 and sometimes even $500. I expect these inflated prices will be even more inflated in the future. I kick myself now when I think back to when I could have gotten one on a "Buy It Now" for $250. I can tell you, none of these purchasers are hoping for a dvd release anytime soon.

6. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I've had A Hard Day's Night pre-ordered at Buy.com for what seems over a year.

What happened to that release?

Now I really want it see it again.

Yes. Let It Be needs to be released at some point.

Also the Beatles Anthology would be nice.

JohnG

7. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

awwwwwwwwww.....

I'm watching my laserdisc, right now....

But... word has it that in Asia, someone has taken the laserdisc and transfered it to DVD....

It's region 0 and sometimes shows up on eBay.

Dugger

8. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Chris? An admin? Advocating?

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Apple owns the movie and UA only distributed the film.

I think the reason for this being held back is because it needs restoration (16mm Technicolor that's 31 years old!) and Apple doesn't want to pay money to have the picture restored. (The audio is really the strong point.)

Apple obviously didn't care about Magical Mystery Tour enough to have IT restored (The DVD looks horrible!)

It should be on DVD, but as for me...I'd like a DVD-A of the soundtrack remixed in DTS.

10. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

But I think they have done some work on it. Take a look at the Let It Be sequences included in the Anthology. And while Magical Mystery Tour is lacking, I doubt they could make it look any better. A lot of the dirtiness of that looks to be a result of the opticals and such. Hell, the whole thing might only exist as a second generation negative. I just wish a DVD would come out that would reinstate the remixed music from the laserdisc and original VHS.

11. Michael R. Cantone

Regarding LET IT BE, the film was originally in 16mm and blown up to 35mm. However, when that happened, the original 16mm aspect ratio of 1.33:1 was matted to 1.85:1 when issued in theaters. The original video versions then cropped out the rest of the picture, so all you see of the original is just the center of the image. I don't think it needs a lot of restoration, judging by the way it looked in the BEATLES ANTHOLOGY series. MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, on the other hand, will not look any better than it does now. Keep in mind that it was:

a) shot with TV airing in mind. and...

b) Ringo was the D.P. (he ain't Jack Cardiff by a long shot)

Also, remember what MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR looked like before 1990. It was blurry and the colors were washed out. Let's be thankful we have it at all.

12. debi_lee

debi_lee Stunt Coordinator

with the passing of george harrison, i'm hoping for the concert for bangladesh....