Lest We Forget: Marilyn Manson's Best-of coming out with a DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulP, Sep 6, 2004.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Some people don't like Marilyn Manson, and that's cool. But the guy's videos are always very interesting and on September 28th we're getting "Lest We Forget", a greatest hits album, packaged with the complete collection of Marilyn Manson's videos on a bonus DVD.

[​IMG]

2. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Second Unit

Stephen Brooks
    I never much cared for Manson during the "Antichrist Superstar" days when he kept making a gigantic ass of himself with comments about destroying America and ending Christianity and all that. And his legions of "followers" who demonstrated their "individuality" by dressing the same, acting the same, carving Manson's name into their skin, etc....they really got on my nerves. They were no better than the "Christian sheep" that they all felt so superior to.

But then he came out with Mechanical Animals, a radical departure from his previous work, and I took a second look at the guy. He really is an intelligent and well-spoken guy (and somewhat manipulative, but what successful capitalist isn't?), but most importantly, he's a hell of a songwriter. So about the time the wannabe posers moved on, I found myself becoming a huge fan. What Manson has now lost in terms of social relevence (Bowling For Columbine was pretty much a passing of the torch from Manson to Michael Moore for the role of "spokesman for disaffected youth", at least for me) he more than makes up for with the impressive body of music he has created. Hopefully, he will be remembered for that, rather than for fleeting "shock rock" stunts.

3. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Although his relevance as a cultural icon has faded in the past few years, I'm very much looking forward to this greatest hits compilation, if for no other reason than to hear his rendition of DM's "Personal Jesus".

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I should note that apparently the US release of this won't feature the latest video, Personal Jesus, so the collection can't be called complete. Moreover, the Tainted Love video is also not included - I guess for rights reasons. Too bad. However both the UK and Japanese versions will at least contain the Personal Jesus video, so I might have to import one of those...

5. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

The limited edition CD+DVD Japanese release is as close to a definitive collection as one can expect (2 CDs comprising 28 tracks and a DVD with 23 videos); expected retail price is ¥3,990 (approx. US$36.29). As complete as this package may be, it appears that no widely available release will contain the uncut "(s)AINT" video, except online through MusicToday at a price of $24.99.

Does anyone know where I can find a complete listing of the tracks and videos for the LE Japanese release in English? Babelfish was unable to successfully translate the pages on Amazon and HMV. [​IMG]

Decisions, decisions.....

6. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Wow, that's news to me. I thought all the videos were uncut... Now this is one messed up release. Damn I'm pissed.

7. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Damn, that's one of my favorite videos of his.

8. PaulP

PaulP Producer

So my Japanese version shipped on the 25th from Amazon.co.jp - it's the best version to have, and to boot it's NTSC and All-Region. It has two videos left off the American release.

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Which two and how much?

10. PaulP

PaulP Producer

My card was charged 38 dollars and some cents. The two videos left off the US version are (s)AINT and Personal Jesus. This version also has an additional CD of remixes and b-sides.

11. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Was that the one with Chyler Leigh in the hot tub? [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Ed Speir IV

Ed Speir IV Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for posting about this release!! I had no idea this was out - I am definately picking this up as I love Manson's videos.

Update - I just ordered the Japanese version from CD Japan. Supposedly it is the limited first pressing with extras. We'll see what I get.

Again, thanks for the info.

13. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

It's unfortunate that the Astonishing Panorama of the Endtimes video is also left off the DVD.

Anyone have a listing of what the remixes and b-sides are?

14. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

FYI - The video for Tainted Love is one of the bonus features on the Not Another Teen Movie DVD.

15. Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer Stunt Coordinator

Thank Todd! Just Netflix'd that movie so I can check the video out.

I also ordered the Japanese edition of this set. The bonus CD you get with this one has these tracks on it, I believe:

01. Next Motherf****r (Rimix)
    02. The Not So Beautiful People
    03. The Horrible People
    04. The Tourniquet Prosthetic Dance Mix
    05. I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drugs Like Me) (Danny Saber Remix)
    06. Working Class Hero
    07. The Fight Song (Slipnot Remix)
    08. Mobscene / Sauerkraut Remix (Rammstein Mix)

16. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

For those here in the US who have received the Japanese version, did you any problems playing the DVD on a standard US DVD player? Are the DVD menus in English? Are there any subtitles during the music videos like I've seen with some other imports?

Basically, I'm wondering if the videos look like they do with the US version, or if there are any differences/problems to be aware of.

Also, can anyone confirm for me if the version for sale from the Marilyn Manson website has *only* the video for (s)AINT in addition to the CD, or does it have all the videos in the US version *plus* (s)AINT?

Thanks for any info.

17. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yes the Japanese version is all-English, save for a Japanese wrapper. Plays fine in US players (it's NTSC, all-region). As far as the website exclusive, from what I understand, it's in addition to the CD/DVD, a DVD with a single video on it. But you'll still be missing the Personal Jesus video, and the second CD. I have my Japanese version and am extremely happy with it. It took only 6 days to ship from Japan to the US! [​IMG]

18. Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer Stunt Coordinator

I just got mine in the mail today. PaulP is exactly correct. My friend has the US version and I have the JP version. The DVDs are identical, except the menus have 2 extra videos squeezed into them on the JP version. The bonus CD comes in its own little slip case. You get the regular English booklet, plus a separate white booklet with all of the lyrics in Japanese. If you remove the white booklet and toss the wrapper, you'd never know where it came from.