Lesson learned.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by marc_manny, Apr 19, 2004.

1. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

Just because the front of your DVD player says DTS doesn't mean it is sending a DTS signal. For some reason DTS was turned off as a default option on my player. I am guessing it was just informing me that it has a DTS signal?

I was blaming the receiver becuase it looked like the DVD player was outputing DTS. Oh well, only 2 hours of fiddling to figure that out. I knew it was going to be something simple. It is real humbling.

Marc

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

it's ok, marc. stand tall and proud.

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Most DVDs and DVD players default to Dolby Digital. If you want DTS you have to select it in the DVD's audio set-up menu, assuming the disk has a DTS track.

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Dan is right. Most players come with DTS output disabled by default. You have to go into the menu and enable it.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I also can confirm all DVD players seem to come with the DTS bitstream output disabled as the default. I think this started a few years ago when most folks had older Dolby-only receivers that didn't support a DTS bitstream, so that configuration was the most common. Nowadays most have DTS-capable receivers, but you have to manually enable the DTS bitstream in the DVD player's setup menu the first time.

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

A non-dts capable digital decoder will emit horrible and potentially speaker-damaging noises when fed a dts bitstream, hence the players all ship with dts disabled, and dts dvds default to DD. Most but not all dvds with a dts track also disable audio track selection on the fly, requiring you to go back into the setup menu.