Less than a year with setup and very happy with sound but a few questions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

My music system is:
    Marantz SR6200
    PSB Image 6T
    13 year old 5 disc Sony CD player using analog outs
    (Yes using a digital connection sounds better with the Marantz DAC's working, but the old Sony is pretty darn good for what its worth)
    Listening to my system, I usually add between 3 and 4 dB on the bass and between -1,0 and 1 dB on the treble, depending on the birghtness of the recording. My comments are a very spontaneous mini-review of sorts, mainly in comparison to my older Technics SU-V40 50 watt per channel Class A amp and Boston Acoustics A70 II series speakers [sold the amp and the speakers are going bye bye today too. Sadly missed, they have served me well for 12 years [​IMG] ].
    Here is what I have found. With my old system, the bass was more pronounced for certain frequencies, and thats because the speakers were sealed and I used the amps loudness control. With my new setup, with my boosting the bass a modest 3 dB on average, the lower frequencies are much cleaner. Overall impressions of the setup is much increased clarity of midrange and bass, with similar treble. This going from a 2 driver 2 way to a four driver 2 1/2 way. I notice some sounds and imaging characteristics that I can honestly say I did not hear with my other setup, as good as the old setup was. The sound is very pleasant and just sounds like music, with little colouration in my experience. The one thing I do notice is that it sounds more dynamic for the first few seconds of playback, and perhaps a bit more laidback after a few minutes. Am I more used to the sound? Or is the amp a little warm, with the associated reduced power output? Still sounds decent though. Imaging is ok, but here's my question:
    I have a 32" TV which is technically an inch or too forward of the speakers and a TV stand with two glass doors. I suspect that all the glass is smearing my imaging and ruining my sound stage. I may move the cabinet out from under the TV and in the future, I may get a front projector and use a screen which would be back a bit, with the cool option of a curtain for use when listening to music and not watching video. So, how much does a TV and a glass surfaced TV stand ruin my imaging? Will I benefit from the changes I describe above?
    Thanks for any input [​IMG]

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

What should I use as a material for a curtain? Really thick or not too thick? Do I want lots of absorption or a mix of absorb and diffuse?

4. Matt_Sulli

Matt_Sulli Agent

just make sure you biwire the images, i just picked up a pair of 6t's about a month ago myself and biwiring made a very noticable improvement on the sound of the 6t's, much better imaging with a wider and more defined soundstage

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    How far apart are the mains?

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Matt,
    Yep, my images are bi-wired. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but like I said, its working well. I haven't compared in depth but I'm sure there was an improvement when I bi-wired.
    The speakers are 58" apart along a 12 foot (144") wall. In terms of distances from the side walls, the left (my left) speaker is 31" away from the wall and the other speaker is 39" away from the wall. The room is a little off centre. I have my speakers toed in a bit. The sound is generally good. I think actually a screen might be fine compared to the glass. The screen wouldn't be as harsh as the glass and it would be set back a bit, where the TV and cabinet is actually forward of the speakers a couple inches or so.
    I don't want to lose any efficiency either.
    One thing for sure, its not crucial that I have pin-point accuracy in imaging. Sometimes I do sit right in the sweetspot laid back on my bed with my head against the wall, but often times, I prefer to listen lying on my side, with my head off to the side angled roughly 45 degrees towards the ceiling. Its comfortable and I can hear the spatial environment presented by the speakers, but I'm not caring about the precise imaging cues. I listen to the music and the timbre, the ambience, the frequency response and characterists of the recording, but I and not really critical of the imaging. I just want to get rid of the brightness and forward ness of the center area.
    I really like the sound of my system. I continue to tweak it. Incidentally, in addition to my CD's I have been listening to albums that I'm going to sell, to check for scratches and I am not impressed. My CD's sound far better. I guess my Technics SL-BD22 isn't an audiophile turntable. The albums are all in excellent shape and no scratches but the tonal quality is poor on most. CD's have more bass and clean full upper treble. Not to start that debate here.
    Anyways, I am very happy with these speakers. One thing I like is the somewhat lack of speaker cues. No, they do not sound like my room disappears, but when I concentrate on the sound of the recordings, I cannot make out much distortion or "speaker" like sounds. The voices and instruments sound pretty much like they should sound I think. I love their neutral sound. It lets each recording speak to me. MMmm yummy [​IMG]
    Has anyone ever given the Image 7PT's a good listen? I have a powerful subwoofer, so the 7PT's seemed un-necessary, but I often wonder what the extra bottom end would sound like in terms of its "full range" tower without a subwoofer type of sound.