Less bass in new HT room - need advice!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tjia, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Gary Tjia

Gary Tjia Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I just moved my hometheatre system into a dedicated 15X12X8 room and found that the Paradigm PR12 subwoofer not having as much bass as it used to in a much larger open living room with vaulted ceiling. I did not even adjust the subwoofer setting.
    Any idea why that would be the case? [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Gary

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    It looks like you will have to experiment with sub placement to achieve your desired results. Where was your sub located before and after with respect to the listening position?

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Also note the floor material, carpeting, etc. Concrete and normal wood flooring have very different sonic characteristics.

Try to get it into a corner if you can.

4. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

You new room certainly has different acoustics and the sub may be placed in a spot that creates a null at the listening location. One trick for determining a good location for your sub is to place the sub at your listening position and then move about the room measuring the frequency response until you find a spot that has a good response (minimal nulls and peaks). Tools required: sound meter from radio shack and a low frequency test track (the Avia DVD has one for bass response).

5. Gary Tjia

Gary Tjia Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback.

The new media room has the same type of carpet and wall, except for a lower ceiling (8 ft) instead of a vaulted ceiling. The subwoofer is placed in the left corner wall, next the the left main speaker.

I had raised the sub setting to +3db on the a/v receiver to increase the bass. It was previously set at 0db.

I was surprised that the sub did not have more bass in a smaller and more enclosed room.

Gary

6. Jim Mc

Jim Mc Agent

I've read a lot of posts that subs are more powerful in a sealed room. But my experience is that a more open environement increases the impression of bass output. Even opening the theater doors has the effect.

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Gary,

Chad's advice is an excellent tip. You may also want to play with the phase settings of your sub. Perhaps there's some cancelling out now with other speakers.

Cees

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Gary,

Your position in relation to the sub can make a difference, especially if you had the seat against the wall in the old room, and now have it in the middle of the room. In the first situation, bass is exaggerated at the listening position.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt