What's new

lesbian film dissertation help (1 Viewer)

One often overlooked film that touches on that subject is 1968's "Rachel, Rachel," starring Joanne Woodward. Estelle Parson's character is a Lesbian. This was just released on DVD this year.

Someone mentioned "The Fox," starring Anne Heywood & Sandy Dennis in an earlier post, and I second that. This is a must. If you look hard enough, you can find a copy of that, I did.

Candace Bergen's character in 1966's "The Group" is a lesbian. If I remember correctly, the word is actually used,could be important.

Someone also mentioned "The Celluliod Closet," the book and the movie should prove invaluable to you if you hadn't checked that one out yet.

For comedy, don't forget John Water's 1977 masterpiece, "Desperate Living." The two main characters are a lesbian couple.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
If TV movies fit your definition of film, I'd recommend the BBC Mini-series "Tipping the Velvet".

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing

In British law homosexuality only referred to men, as Queen Victoria didn't believe lesbians existed

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Another reccomendation (for Part 1): Fassbinder's THE BITTER TEARS OF PETRA VON KANT.

More tangentially, there are some who consider the realtionship between Joan Crawford and Mercedes McCambridge in JOHNNY GUITAR a repressed lesbian one.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
ok now looking at the sex scenes in terms of authorship so lesbian directors vs male directors and they they differ in terms of portraying lesbian sex on screen, arguement is lesbian directors portray more authentic, positive lovemaking, tentative, etc and male directors portray fantasy versions of lesbian sex, or lesbian sex as part of a threesome etc. Anyone who knows any good theory on authorship please let me know or any other examples of male directors with lesbian sex scenes/threesomes in scenes other than Wild Things and Bound.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
All you need to do is watch Jess Franco. If you want the opposite view point then check out his films co-directed by his wife/actress Lina Romay. The only problem is that you're going to have to really search some of these out. Some are on DVD but most aren't.

If you want the Hollywood, watered down, safe/friendly take then I'd stay away. You can strip away any "messages" be it positive or negative. You can also strip away anything trying to pass it off as being right or wrong.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
changed it again am now looking at the progression of lesbian sex scenes from independent movie - mainstream movie - TV show. Mainly using Desert Hearts, probably Bound and then L Word. any other ideas

Also need a North American example of a lesbian film that uses romantic comedy conventions with a happy ending to use alongside April's Shower, was thinking Better Than Chocolate

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
In the vampire genre, there is implied lesbianism in the classic "Vampyr", but it is very subtle since this is such an old film. More overt is "The Vampire Lovers".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks