Les Pacte des Loups (brotherhood of the Wolves

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Crane, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Craig Crane

Craig Crane Stunt Coordinator

...once again, french cinema has come out with a corker! The DVD is a 3 disc set, and features a great DD or DTS soundtrack. Bad news is there are no English tracks or Subtitles. So, like Taxi and Taxi 2, its time to brush up on the French...
    This film has it all: Hot looking ladies, great cotumes, a good story a good monster. A Native American in middle age france (who knows how to kick ass), and....well try to seeit if it ges a theatrical release stateside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.btinternet.com/~woof.bark/
    [Edited last by Craig Crane on October 20, 2001 at 02:48 PM]

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I'll second that this is a fantastic movie - I saw it at the Boston Film Festival, and it's easily the best action/adventure movie I've seen in the last couple of years. Universal is releasing it to "select cities" in the U.S. starting 11 January 2002, and hopefully they'll let it go wide.
    Of course, Universal probably won't license all the making-of stuff - which is even credited in the movie! - for DVD. The best way for that to happen would be for it to be a huge hit in the US. So, remember, January '02 - Brotherhood Of The Wolf. It's worth seeing in the theater a couple of times anyway.

3. Rik Southcott

just saw this movie today and it absolutly rocks !
    i want the dvd right now [​IMG]

4. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF screened at the Melbourne International Film Festival a couple of months ago (to absolutely packed theaters) and it was an amazing experience. It's a fantastic film and you could really hear the crowd react to the big set-pieces. Word of mouth spread pretty quickly and the final sessions were completely sold out.
    One of the impressive things about WOLF is that they obviously had enough money to do everything they wanted. Huge crowd scenes, James Cameron-style action sequences and a really crunching sound mix (which I'm pretty sure was in DTS) make WOLF a pretty wild experience when seen with a capacity crowd. (The scene where the three heroes attempt to capture the wolf is a personal fave). I'm curious though as to whether the film will receive any cuts for the Stateside release, (for example, the sex scenes in the brothel sequence, which are fairly explicit). I'd be happy to see some of the extras from the French disc make it to the Stateside DVD - WOLF and BATTLE ROYALE are two of my favourite films of the year to date.

5. Craig Crane

Your right. Battle Royale is also a great movie. The Region 3 DVD is already out, but it has problems. I hearthe Japanese R2 disc is better.
    If the American censors snipped Eyes wide Shut, I think the brothel scene may have a little trim here and there. Needless to say, I doubt it wil have that much impact (unlike swapping guns for mobile phones obviously has in some camps!!!)
    ------------------
    http://www.btinternet.com/~woof.bark/

6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Dammit, guys! Don't tease me like this! If this flick doesn't get a wide release, I'll have to wait for a dvd release and who knows when that'll be... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
    1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I think a decent-sized release and DVD is pretty likely. The original release information was that Universal's boutique arm, Universal Focus (why they didn't just keep October or Gramercy...), would be releasing it in November; the print I saw, however, had the regular Universal logo, so it looks like they may be trying for a multiplex audience rather than an art-house one.

8. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I'm SO jealous!!!
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
    MY TOP 20 OF 2001

9. Mark W

Mark W Auditioning

Craig Crane wrote, "If the American censors snipped Eyes wide Shut, I think the brothel scene may have a little trim here and there."
    Remember that the U.S. doesn't have a censor board. It was Warner Bros. that demanded the changes to Eyes Wide Shut because of their company policy against releasing NC-17 films. Those changes shouldn't be any indication as to what Universal intends to do with Brotherhood. I just saw the trailer in the theater over the weekend and it looks amazing. It looks like it will be getting a decent theatrical release.

10. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Amusing trailers in the UK for this - they manage to get through a whole 90-sec or whatever trailer without giving away the fact that its got subtitles once! For those in the UK, this was released on Friday - I caught Amelie this weekend instead (very, very good by the way), so I hope to see this soon.

11. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

12. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Don't worry Bjørn, I'm fully expecting that after the way some had to do exactly the same with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

13. Ugo Scarlata

Ugo Scarlata Stunt Coordinator

14. Craig Crane

15. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

quote: Remember that the U.S. doesn't have a censor board. It was Warner Bros. that demanded the changes to Eyes Wide Shut because of their company policy against releasing NC-17 films. Those changes shouldn't be any indication as to what Universal intends to do with Brotherhood.[/quote]I think that all major studios have a no NC-17 policy these days -- indeed to the best of my research the only films ever to receive major studio NC-17 theatrical releases were Henry and June & Showgirls Additionally, being MPAA signatories, the major studios are not allowed to release unrated material, so if they release something they WILL censor it down to an R rating. There may not be a U.S. censor board, but there might as well be, the way things work in reality.
    So if Brotherhood does get slapped with an NC-17, I guarantee it will get cut down to an R. (For what it's worth it did get rated R, whether there was pre-emptive cutting involved, I have no way of knowing). As an example Eyes Wide Shut never received a NC-17 rating – it was rated R from the get go, meaning that WB censored it before officially submitting it to the rating board. For detailed rating info go to http://mpaa.org/movieratings/search/index.htm
    Ted
    [Edited last by Ted Todorov on October 29, 2001 at 10:29 AM]