Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Title: Les Misérables

Tagline: Fight. Dream. Hope. Love.

Genre: History, Drama

Director: Tom Hooper

Cast: Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne, Helena Bonham Carter, Sacha Baron Cohen, Aaron Tveit, Samantha Barks, Daniel Huttlestone, Cavin Cornwall, Josef Altin, David Hawley, Adam Jones, John Barr, Tony Rohr, Richard Dixon, Andy Beckwith, Colm Wilkinson, Stephen Bent, Georgie Glen, Heather Chasen, Paul Thornley, Paul Howell, Stephen Tate, Michael Jibson, Kate Fleetwood, Hannah Waddingham, Clare Foster, Kirsty Hoiles, Alice Fearn, Alison Tennant, Marilyn Cutts, Cathy Breeze, John Albasiny, Bertie Carvel, Tim Downie, Andrew Havill, Dick Ward, Nicola Sloane, Daniel Evans, David Stoller, Ross McCormack, Jaygann Ayeh, Adrian Scarborough, Frances Ruffelle, Lynne Wilmot, Charlotte Spencer, Julia Worsley, Keith Dunphy, Ashley Artus, John Surman, David Cann, James Simmons, Polly Kemp, Ian Pirie, Adam Pearce, Julian Bleach, Marc Pickering, Isabelle Allen, Natalya Wallace, Phil Snowden, Hadrian Delacey, Lottie Steer, Sam Parks, Mark Donovan, Lewis Kirk, Leighton Rafferty, Peter Mair, Jack Chissick, Dianne Pilkington, Robyn North, Norma Atallah, Patrick Godfrey, Mark Roper, Paul Leonard, Miles Roughley, Cameron Strefford, Alfie Davis, Joseph West, Joel Phillimore, Jacqueline Dankworth, Amelia Jefford, Chris Barnes, Richard Cordery, Killian Donnelly, Fra Fee, Gabriel Vick, George Blagden, Hugh Skinner, Stuart Neal, Alistair Brammer, Iwan Lewis, Katy Secombe, Hadley Fraser, Linzi Hateley, Gemma Wardle, Gina Beck, Katie Hall, Lisa Hull, Andrea Deck, Jessica Duncan, Kerry Ingram, John Warnaby, Mike Sarne, Freya Parks, Richard Bremmer, Alexander Brooks, Eleanor Bruce, Emma Dukes, Stephen Matthews, Peter Saracen, Sebastian Sykes, Phil Zimmerman, Bessie Carter, Helen Cotterill, Tricia Deighton, Mandy Holliday, Charlotte Hope, Jackie Marks, Sara Pelosi, Mary Roscoe, Amelia Scaramucci, Caroline Sheen, Rachael Archer, Lorna Brown, Antonia Clarke, Mary Cormack, Sonya Cullingford, Holly Dale Spencer, Amy Griffiths, Fania Grigoriou, Amanda Henderson, Alexia Khadime, Luisa Lazzaro, Gemma O'Duffy, Rosa O'Reilly, Amy Ellen Richardson, Olivia Rose-Aaron, Robyn Miranda Simpson, Rachel Stanley, Nancy Sullivan, Rebecca Sutherland, Tabitha Webb, Gerard Bentall, Tony Bignell, Michael Cahill, Richard Colson, Kerry Ellis, Simon Fisher-Becker, Sarah Flind, Kelly-Anne Gower, James Greene, Nick Holder, Chris Howell, Alison Jiear, Terence Keely, Martin Marquez, Sally Mates, Jeff Nicholson, Adam Searles, Simon Shorten, Juliet Alderdice, Sean Buckley, Valerie Cutko, Spike Grimsey, Matt Harrop, Georgina Jackson, Perry Millward, Phil Philmar, Joyce Springer, Julie Stark, Dominic Applewhite, Matthew Corner, Andy Coxon, Jonathan Dudley, Rhidian Marc, Chris Milford, Jamie Muscato, Joseph Peters, David Roberts, Stevee Davies, Jonny Purchase, Matt Seadon Young, Jos Slovick, Samuel J. Weir, Sophie Huchinson, Ella Hunt, Claire Machin, Brenda Moore, Mischa Purnell, Annette Yeo, Josephine Darvill-Mills, Jennifer Essex, Vicky Evans, Edward Lewis French, Nigel Garton, Lynn Jezzard, Nicholas Keegan, Steve Kirkham, Vanessa Lee Hicks, Ian Parsons, Gemma Payne, Clinten Pearce, Claire Piquemal, Aaron Sillis, Ian Waller, Jenna Boyd

Release: 2012-12-18

Runtime: 157

Plot: An adaptation of the successful stage musical based on Victor Hugo's classic novel set in 19th-century France, in which a paroled prisoner named Jean Valjean seeks redemption.

LES MISERABLES - The Broadway Musical hits the big screen this Xmas!
The teaser trailer is on You Tube
The cast.... It's spectacular
Russel Crowe
Hugh Jackman
Amanda Seyfried
Anne Hathaway
Sacha Baron Cohen
Helena Bonham Carter
and more!!!!
CAN'T WAIT !!!!!!!!!!
raul

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm skeptical...after the way they trashed the live show with cuts and speedups (trimming it to run in 2:50 with intermission from well over 3 hours) it pains me to think of what they cut to make it run in an average theatrical time (probably no more than 2.5 hours).
However, I see that the cast includes Aaron Tveit and Colm Wilkinson, even Frances Ruffelle. There is hope.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Yea, I'm worried about how they are going to cut this as well. I have the complete symphonic recordings of the stage show and it clocks in at 2:48. I'd hate to see them cut this down to around 2 hours, at least give it 2 and half.
No matter what they cut, this is still one of my most anticipated movies of the year.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I've listened to the complete symphonic recording literally hundreds of times. When I last saw the show on stage, the cuts and speedups were glaring.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Steve, I'm not doubting you, just curious; do you recall some of the stuff that was cut.
I've seen it twice on stage, once in Orlando and another on Broadway, and I don't recall anything being cut. Now, it could just be my memory because it has been many, many years since I last saw it on stage. When I listen to the complete symphonic recording nothing jumps out at as not being there when I saw it on stage.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The cuts were made at the 10th anniversary, then other cuts were made to bring the show in at under 3 hours (union rules were forcing overtime pay for shows that ran past 11:00pm, and the show did not want to pay it). Some of the prologue is cut. Master of the House is partially cut (and the outro is sped up). I can't remember the others...I tried to forget it.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
They have to makes cuts, unless they go the 3+ hours with an intermission...what's an intermission?

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Why would an intermission be needed, ROTK was over 3 hours and had no intermission.
This month's Empire has a short article about the movie and it mentions that the cast is singing all 40 songs live on set, instead of pre recording them in the studio. What I liked most about that blurb was the 40 songs part so, maybe they won't cut much out. The article also said that the movie will be singing all the way through like the play, which I was glad to hear. I was worried that they might try and break the songs up, and remove some, to have scenes of dialogue between songs. Sounds like a pretty straight version of the play but on a grand movie scale.
The article did mention one thing in passing that gives me pause, it said that one new song was written for Jackman about "Valjean's newfound love for little Cosette." I'm not a big fan when they add new songs to classic musicals because no matter how good the song may be, it just will not feel like it belongs.
Still can't wait to see this in Decemeber.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I saw that in front of "Dredd" of all potential films opening this week. I like the idea very much, and am looking forward to the film.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Aaron Silverman said:
I hope the cast is all good singers, 'cause this ain't gonna work if they aren't.
Jackman, Hathaway, & Seyfried all have musical theater / training in their background. My only question mark is Crowe. I noticed in the trailer and sneak peak video there are no scenes of him singing. You never know. Baz Lurhmann pulled it off with Nicole Kidman & Ewan McGregor.
In related news, I just read this announcement over at The Digital Bits website:
Meanwhile, Sony has set the 1998 Les Miserables for Blu-ray Disc release on 12/11 (SRP $19.99). Extras will include the A First Look at Les Miserables featurette.
This is smart marketing with the December release of the movie we are discussing here. I have always liked the '98 version and never understood why it didn't do better at the box office.
Peace,
DM

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hell, even *I* have musical theater in my background. . .doesn't mean I can sing well enough to carry this material! :)
Crowe has a rootsy band and has performed on various TV shows. He's OK. I guess we'll see how he does with this sort of material.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure they won't hesitate to go into the recording studio if they get into the editing bay and find that none of the usable takes have an adequate musical performance for any given scene. There are also going to be times when the different takes that they're cutting between don't mesh well and they'll have to record a track in the booth to bridge the editing choices. I would imagine it's more of a philosophy about how they're making the film than an iron clad rule for every single part of every single song. The audio engineering tools at their disposal now also make this a lot more practical than it once would have been. They can fix a lot after the fact in a way they couldn't when the golden age film musicals were being made.
The earliest example of a musical using the live musical performance in the final mix that I can think of is Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady. He refused to pre-record his musical numbers because on stage he'd never performed them the same way twice. They hid the microphone in Henry Higgins's bow tie, I believe the first use of a wireless microphone on a major motion picture. The conductor had to conduct the orchestra to the voice recording from on set. While it was much more of a technical challenge back then for obvious reasons, the shooting style was more conducive to live recording: exclusive use of dollies instead handheld, much longer shots, etc.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Just saw the most recent trailer and it actually has me nervous. Far to much talking in the trailer for my taste, this is a musical that is sung from beginning to end on stage, I don't want the movie to remove sections of songs so they can have non singing scenes. We get to hear Crowe sing one line in the trailer and I hope it was just the way the trailer was mixed but, he sounded way out of tune. You know, I wouldn't care if they had an actor who didn't have the best singing chops in a minor role but, not Javert. He's to important of a character to be sung out of tune. Javert's Suicide is one of my favorite moments from the stage show, if Crowe screws that up I may just walk out of the theater.
This is still one of my most anticipated movies of the year because I'm such a huge fan of the Broadway show but, this latest trailer has me holding back my excitement a little.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I was not at all impressed by the new trailer.
I've seen the show 8 times and listened to the complete symphonic recording more times than I can count. To say that my expectations are high is an understatement.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As the Regal featurette drives home again again, all of the vocals were recorded on set. Hopefully they autotune as need to fix the little things before the film hits the big screen.
If nothing else, it's a beautiful looking film.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The last trailer seemed to be cut to include as many songs from the show as they could, almost to say "see, we kept all of these ones!", but it's not a very good trailer for selling the film, IMO. (Granted, it's a trailer for the International market, which makes some sense as to why they use the potluck song editing). In the proper pacing of the film I'm still optimistic the songs work just fine.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I love how post #9 in July says, "hey look at this, all the songs are recorded live on the set."
Then two months later post ten says, " hey look what's found, all the songs are recorded live on set."
Anyway, I haven't seen the live show in ten years and I just hope this movie is as good as I think Phantom is.
Might be the firstt time I see a movie on Christmas day

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks