What's new

Leons 57HX83 dilema!!! (1 Viewer)

jan s

Auditioning
Hi. I have a dilema.

I bought a Toshiba 57hx83 floor model from Leon's last week. Based on my on-line research, I was very keen on this particular model. Yes, it was a floor model, but I was told that it was the only one left in Canada, so I decided to buy it for $2100 CAD.

Here's the problem:

After the TV was delivered, I noticed burn-ins on the top and bottom of the TV... The burn-ins were not noticable at first, but when I sat back and started flipping channels, it was definitely noticable on certain channels. The burn in's are faint barely noticable horizontal strips on the top and bottom of the TV that are the same shape/size of the black strips on the top/bottom when you are watching a widescreen DVD.

So I called Leon's the next day to inform them of the burn-in. They sent a tech guy out to examine the TV. The tech guy confirmed that the TV was burnt in. He informed Leon's that the blue and green tubes needed to be replaced.

So now, instead of repairing the TV, Leon's is offering a refund on the TV. They are saying that since burn-in is not covered under manufacturers warranty, they can't repair the TV, they can only offer a refund.

Normally I would take the refund, but I love this TV, and they don't have any more 57HX83's in stock, since the model is discontinued.

They have a theatrewide 57" for $2200, but it's not the cinema series, and it also doesn't have the pegasus guns. Even the Leon's sales guy told me that the picture on the theatrewide is not as good as the 57HX83.

So... What should I do?

Should I pay an extra $100 to get the new theatrewide, which is an inferior TV?

They also have the new cinema series TV for $2700, but it doesn't have the pegasus guns.

So should I pay an extra $600 for the new cinemawide?

Should I keep the TV, and pay for the new tubes myself?

HELP!!! Advice NEEDED!!!

Sounds like a decision you'll have to make for yourself.

-Sorry.

I'm not completely sure that replacing those guns is going to wipe the burned-in bands away, either. If you can live with the bands, then do so. If not, buy the other Cinema Series.

IMO, you are lucky that the store is willing to give you a refund for a floor model. Most of those sales are usually final. (Like in my store) If you are thinking about a refund, do so immediately.

I would be cautious with any CRT. Especially when it comes to a floor model.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Paying to have the CRTs replaced is not an option. They are something like $500 *each* and there is likely burn-in on all 3.

Leons sold you a damaged set. I suggest you argue for a 57HX84 as a replacement at the same price. Remeber that this isn't your fault in any way - you've been acting on good faith. Now it's their turn to do the same.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Take the refund, find another one somewhere else. Even online if need be. Any burn in on my set, will be done by me and nobody else but me!! :)

jan s

Auditioning
I spoke to the manager today. He said that if he can get the tubes replaced at a low enough cost, he will consider paying for the repair, but he wasn't optomistic. He's getting back to me on friday.

If he does have the tubes replaced, wouldn't the TV be the same as a brand new set?

And even if he would agree to replace the set with a 57hx84 at no additional cost, isn't the 57hx83 a better TV, picture wise?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have to give the store some kudos here, for working with you on it. Speaks well of them, and is rather rare on a Floor Model / Open Box item these days.

If you really picked this exact model as your ideal display, I still say full refund, and get it else where.

I do agree, if the guns are replaced and your happy with the display afterwards, then that is the ideal solution for you.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter

Pretty much. The picture will be good as new...there are still hours on the rest of the electronics though. The convergence ICs are something to think about, as a good percentage of rear-projection CRT set owners will have to get these replaced at some point and it's about a $300 repair. Heat is what kills them.

The HX83 is superior to the HX84, but it's splitting hairs, really. The Pegasus CRTs in the HX83 will be sharper and brighter longer, but I'm not sure how many enthusiasts would keep the set long enough to enjoy the benefits of that!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

And if you didn't bother getting the set calibrated, you would probably never see that difference anyway.

Regards

jan s

Auditioning
I just spoke with the manager again today.

He told me that the repair would cost $860, and that Leon's would cover $500 of the repair. So I would have to pay $360 to have the TV repaired.

Otherwise, he would give me a refund, and $100 off of the 57hx84($2700 -$100 + tax = $2990 retail). So, I would have to pay another $540 to exchange for the 57hx84.

I argued that they should take the $500 for the repair and apply it to the new TV, but the manager wouldn't budge.

I was not very pleased with these options.

I called Leon's head office "customer service" - and I use that term lightly -, and the head man there told me that if I didn't like those options that I would have to write a letter to Terry Leon, owner of Leon's. He gave me his PO box address. lol.

So now I will be writing my letter to see if Mr. Leon will agree to apply the $500 toward the new set.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
I would take the refund, and purchase the TV elsewhere. Those don't seem like too competitive of prices to be honest with you.
You could go to Best Buy or Future Shop where the H84 is often on sale for $1999, and I'm sure I've seen the HX84 at Future Shop for around $2300.
The differences between the guns are so slim. For the 84 models, unless the styling or sound system is a big deal, then there is no point in getting the HX model. As far as the pegasus guns, PQ (IMHO) looked dead on, but they 'apparently' lasted longer (however, as Johnny pointed out, with the way prices are dropping on the new panel and digital displays, the odds of owning a CRT RPTV for long enough to realize this advantage are probably pretty slim).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks