What's new

Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly 2-disc SE, May 18, 2004 (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
David, there's DVDFile and of course DVD Answers which you linked to in your post but not in your list. There's also Link Removed. My favorite is DVDAnswers. Very up to date. :)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Please elaborate. What is wrong with this?
I've never cared for any of Richard Schickel's commentaries, the best of which (Unforgiven) I would call "middling." He tends to be negative and disinterested, and his delivery is unappealing. Listen to his comments for Gentleman's Agreement. Or try Once Upon a Time in America, where his reserved tone sometimes feels like indifference and he often misses some points.

Obviously, as Clint Eastwood's friend and biographer, he might fare better on The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (as he did on Unforgiven). But for my favorite film ever, I'm disappointed in that aspect of the DVD. I would have preferred commentary by the film historians Paramount used on Once Upon a Time in the West, Sergio Leone biographer Christopher Frayling (author of Sergio Leone: Something to Do With Death) and film historian Sheldon Hall.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Thanks. I was just curious why you felt the way you did. If I ever rent Once Upon A Time in America I will have to listen to the commentary.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
The set looks really impressive! Especially all those cards..and of course the film remastered and restored!

jimbo w

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome, one step closer to having the Leone collection complete with SEs. Where is Duck You Sucker/Once upon a time...the Revolution. Underrated and not a R1 dvd to be seen. I bet alot havent even seen it!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With Duck You Sucker / A Fistful of Dynamite / One Upon a Time...The Revolution what we want is the complete film, currently only available in R2 in Italy (no English soundtrack), or in Japan and Korea.

Not only does the Italian DVD feature the final, revealing and poignant flashback, it also has a transfer that puts the MGM released UK R2 to shame.

Some of you might know that MGM commissioned a film restoration last year, that had a limited theatrical release in the States. That also alledgedly featured the full flashback - come on MGM; let's give this fantastic movie an English language DVD release it deserves!

---
So many films, so little time...

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Some of you might know that MGM commissioned a film restoration last year, that had a limited theatrical release in the States. That also alledgedly featured the full flashback - come on MGM; let's give this fantastic movie an English language DVD release it deserves!
It's not just allegedly - it's for real. I saw it myself (along with a packed crowd at the Film Forum here in NYC). I would guess that this film will follow a release pattern somewhat similar to the restoration of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, which means that the DVD release will be a number of months from now. TGTB&TU made the theatrical rounds approximately one year before the announced date of this SE DVD, which would put the DVD of Duck in late 2004, if not early 2005.

DJ

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
DVDFile confirmed this morning that the 2-disc SE will come out on May 18!

"Remastered in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen English Dolby Digital 5.1, extras will include an audio commentary with film critic Richard Schickel, the "Leone's West," "The Leone Style" and "The Man Who Lost the Civil War" documentaries, "Reconstructing The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" audio restoration featurette, deleted scenes, a still gallery and trailers. Retail is $29.95."

I am curious if the "deleted scenes" are the scenes that were put back into the restored version, or if these are even more deleted scenes, like the parts of the prison camp scene that were lost or the part with Clint and the woman that were shot, but stolen before the film was edited together.

Everyone buy it so we can get similiar SEs for Fistfull of Dollars and A Few Dollars More.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks