What's new

Leonard Maltin's DVDPreview Magazine (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but a search on it came up with nothing this morning...
What ever happened to Leonard Maltin's DVDPreview magazine???
In cleaning up some old files I realized that I subscribed in February 2001 and, so far, have received zilch.
Nada!
What's the story here? Has Mr. Maltin absconded with my $19.95? I would think that we would have heard something about this.
Any information on this matter and/or recourse, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Who is/was the publisher? Look in the lower section of the magazine's masthead (that's the part toward the front of the magazine containing the list of the staff members). Toward the bottom, the publisher's contact information is spelled out.

Or was this magazine a start-up and has never appeared?

It's odd that Maltin would have his name associated with so blatant a rip-off.

Keith M.

Second Unit
Count me as one of the rip-off victims also!!!!

I think we should all demand our money back!!!

And Leonard Maltin can kiss my rosey white a$$

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Come to think of it, I did as well. I'll have to check to see if my credit card was ever charged, but I seem to remember that it was.

-greg

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I'm not involved with the Maltin publication, but I do work parttime for a publishing firm, and can tell you from experience....publishing dates get postponed so often, it is an industry joke. My experience tells me that you will get what you paid for, but on their time, rather than yours.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute!

I just remembered. Seems I've seen a digest-sized (5 by 8.5 trim size) magazine at my favorite newsstand here in Los Angeles. It had "DVD" in the title, and Maltin's mug on the cover. There have been a few issues, I think.

Let me check on this tonight. You guys have been ripped off, to be sure. The magazine may be publishing on a regular schedule, and you haven't received it yet. To whom did you make out your checks?

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
Here's the website: Link Removed
Maybe this info can help:
For all questions regarding subscriptions, including billing and change of address, please send an email to: [email protected] To ensure a quick response, please include your Customer ID, which can be found in the confirmation email sent to you following your subscription purchase.
Letters to the Editor can be sent to : [email protected] Please cut and paste your letter into the email, rather than sending it as an attachment.
Management Team:
Patrick Graham, Publisher
[email protected]
Chris Mollo, General Manager and Editorial Director
[email protected]

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator
Keep us posted Jack!

I had sent emails last December to all 10 email addresses listed on their website and got zero response.

Their "subscription contact phone number" which had been previously sent to me when I subscribed (310-479-4918), has been disconnected, so I'm not confident this will turn out well.

Greg

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I picked up issue #1 at the newstand and wasn't terribly impressed, so I never sought another. I imagine it has just ceased to be.

I was burned by InsideDVD. A long time ago (in a galaxy quite nearby) I payed to have the issues shipped to me in keep cases. They promised after a new "subscription" offer (with pricing similar to my keepcase offer) arose that I'd be continued... never an issue since. Supposedly it's now InsideDVD/Total Movie, but their business is atrocious.

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
Well,

I got a pretty direct answer for all:

I talked to Patrick the editor just a few minutes ago by phone. He wanted me to know that have been trying to get the magazine back up and running in good faith. Apparently with the recession, his funding has dried up (initial 500k).

Leonard Maltin is still on board but they are trying to team up with Blockbuster or Hollywood Video to get their magazine bundled with some sort of service. Sony wanted to charge them 25 cents per disc to include a DVD in their DVD players. Personally, I think Patrick has a good format but just got stuck in a bad time for start ups. He promised to keep in touch with me personally via email to get the heads up.

btw: they didn't cash all the checks for subscriptions once they knew that they couldnt go on. So some of us may not have been charged after all.

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

Thanks for getting us the "definitive word" !

Unfortunately I paid via credit card so I'm still on the hook for $19.95. But who knows, maybe someday they'll resurface.

Greg

Kelly W

Second Unit
Wow, Robert! Thank you for getting that information. I have emailed Mr. Graham MANY times over the past six-months or so and have NEVER gotten a response.
I, too, was charged via credit card more than a year ago and, of course, received nothing. I'd already written it off as a loss.
It's at least encouraging to think that they still have plans to make it work. Maybe my ill-will towards Leonard Maltin & Co. will subside eventually-- I still can't watch the introductions on my Mickey Mouse In Living Color DVD without cursing. :)
-Kelly

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks