What's new

Leonard Maltin and www.imdb.com? (1 Viewer)

George Fogel

Agent
I was just at the internet movie database for the first time in a few weeks and noticed that Leonard Maltin's reviews were no longer available.

Anyone know what happened?

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I think they replaced his reviews with Amazon.com reviews, but I don't know why. Maybe they want you to buy his book or something.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Maltin's reviews are also missing from Amazon. I guess sales dropped and the web availability of his reviews was to blame.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Maybe it has something to do with the new IMDb Pro, or whatever it's called, where you have to pay a monthly fee for access. Does anyone know what that's about?

M

MaxY

Well his reviews used to be on Direct Tivo and disappeared a while back too.

I suspect it has something to do with his pushing his TV show Hot Ticket and it's website maybe.

BTW anyone watching how that show is evolving quickly?

Max

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
It's a shame; although I often don't agree with Maltin, his reviews are, in my opinion, much more useful than the Amazon.com reviews (which aren't even available for a lot of the movies I've looked up as of late).

I've been using an old Cinemania CD I have more and more as of late. Do MS still produce them?

Dave

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I have now gone "Old School" and keep a copy of his book at work. And for all those who gave up before the end, Zuma Beach did it (sorry Steven).
And David, I would love to see Night Moves on DVD too.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, MS ceased making the Cinemania CD-ROMs, which is a shame, because it's because of them I got hooked on PCs to begin with. After MS axed Cinemania, the main guy behind the discs started up a site called Cinemapad or something like that, but I believe it too shut down long ago. The last Cinemania disc I remember being published was the 96 or 97 version, which had downloadable updates every month.

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Jay: Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many of us that do - I don't seem to recall it ever being mentioned in a Warner chat here? A simply superb movie from Arthur Penn, which I have unfortunately never seen in its OAR.
Nick: Thanks for the info. I have the 96 version, which was given to me by a friend who had two copies. It has the online updates option, which no longer works obviously.
EDIT: Shortly afterwards, I saw this thread :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I bet Leonard discovered that more people might buy his book if the reviews werent available for free online ;).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I bet Leonard discovered that more people might buy his book if the reviews werent available for free online
:shrug: I won't.

As for Night Moves, I was gonna pipe up and agree with y'all, until I realized we weren't on the same page. The "night" movie from Gene Hackman I want is the comedy All Night Long, with Barbara Streisand. Funny stuff. But not a day-and-date item...just something to pick up when I see it cheap.

Patrick Picking

Auditioning
I asked Leonard Maltin about this a few weeks ago, and he had no idea why he was dropped. He didn't know anything about it until after it was done. He asked me to write a letter to the IMDB to support him, and here is their reply:

"The capsule reviews from Leonard Maltin's Movie and Video Guide are being replaced by longer reviews written by Amazon.com's editorial staff. This is a more cost-effective solution for us, which will also improve our coverage

of new and recent titles."

Page

Stunt Coordinator
"The capsule reviews from Leonard Maltin's Movie and Video Guide are being replaced by longer reviews written by Amazon.com's editorial staff. This is a more cost-effective solution for us, which will also improve our coverage

of new and recent titles."

I've heard that the IMDB is funded/owned? by Amazon.com so this makes perfect sense. (Cost-effective wise.) I don't recall reading very many (if any) negative reviews of films from Amazon.com because in the long run they want you to buy the movie from them.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, the IMDB's ownership is in no doubt. Go to the bottom of any of their pages, and you'll see this:
  • An Link Removed company. Advertise on IMDb. License our content
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks