Leon Vs. Professional DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jared Reich, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Jared Reich

Jared Reich Stunt Coordinator

Any difference besides the added 24 minutes of footage? Were any scenes taken out of the movie for the Leon DVD that were in the regular Professional DVD?

2. Jared Reich

Jared Reich Stunt Coordinator

Any difference besides the added 24 minutes of footage? Were any scenes taken out of the movie for the Leon DVD that were in the regular Professional DVD?

3. BillGo

BillGo Stunt Coordinator

The implication of the phrase printed on the case's spine: "Uncut International Version" is that no scenes were cut from the previous DVD, based on the U.S. theatrical version.

Having owned the first DVD version (The Professional) also, I can say that I did not detect any missing scenes in the newer version. Added footage consists mostly or entirely of expansion of the relationship between Leon and his young protege (Matilda, I think her name was, played by Natalie Portman). These scenes had some sexual overtones which is probably why they were cut from the U.S. theatrical version.

Also be aware that when the new version was first made available, the DD 5.1 audio track was defective, missing the surround audio. The catalog number of the corrected version is 06196.

4. BillGo

BillGo Stunt Coordinator

The implication of the phrase printed on the case's spine: "Uncut International Version" is that no scenes were cut from the previous DVD, based on the U.S. theatrical version.

Having owned the first DVD version (The Professional) also, I can say that I did not detect any missing scenes in the newer version. Added footage consists mostly or entirely of expansion of the relationship between Leon and his young protege (Matilda, I think her name was, played by Natalie Portman). These scenes had some sexual overtones which is probably why they were cut from the U.S. theatrical version.

Also be aware that when the new version was first made available, the DD 5.1 audio track was defective, missing the surround audio. The catalog number of the corrected version is 06196.

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I think the extra footage makes a big difference.

IMHO Leon is a better film.

6. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I think the extra footage makes a big difference.

IMHO Leon is a better film.

7. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Leon is much better than The Professional.

8. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Leon is much better than The Professional.

9. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

The extra footage makes a good movie into a great movie in my opinion. Leon is the one to buy.

10. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

The extra footage makes a good movie into a great movie in my opinion. Leon is the one to buy.

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I also need to chime in here....

Leon is an incredibly better movie
    than The Professional.

12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I also need to chime in here....

Leon is an incredibly better movie
    than The Professional.

13. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Can the 'fixed' version now compete or beat, the sound quality on the 'original' release?

14. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Can the 'fixed' version now compete or beat, the sound quality on the 'original' release?

15. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

In my opinion, the sound quality on the fixed Leon disc not only bests The Professional DVD, but sounds better than the Superbit Leon as well (which seems to have weaker bass). And when you consider that the Leon disc has almost no supplements, it's practically a Superbit disc anyway in terms of disc-space usage.

-Lyle J.P.

16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

In my opinion, the sound quality on the fixed Leon disc not only bests The Professional DVD, but sounds better than the Superbit Leon as well (which seems to have weaker bass). And when you consider that the Leon disc has almost no supplements, it's practically a Superbit disc anyway in terms of disc-space usage.

-Lyle J.P.

17. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

That's because the Superbit DVD has the defective soundtrack with weak bass and surrounds.

18. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

That's because the Superbit DVD has the defective soundtrack with weak bass and surrounds.

19. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    To clarify, these scenes were cut from the 1994 theatrical release in all countries, not just the US. The film was released under its original title Léon outside the US, but in the same 110-minute cut that US viewers saw as The Professional.

As IMDb points out, the longer cut didn't reach the public until 1996, when it was released as Léon: Version Integrale in France.

It's certainly fair to blame the 1994 cuts on US audiences (since it was apparently a poorly-rated preview screening in LA that led to the shortening of the film), but it's somewhat misleading of the DVD packaging/title to suggest that the cuts were only made to the US release.

20. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    To clarify, these scenes were cut from the 1994 theatrical release in all countries, not just the US. The film was released under its original title Léon outside the US, but in the same 110-minute cut that US viewers saw as The Professional.

As IMDb points out, the longer cut didn't reach the public until 1996, when it was released as Léon: Version Integrale in France.

It's certainly fair to blame the 1994 cuts on US audiences (since it was apparently a poorly-rated preview screening in LA that led to the shortening of the film), but it's somewhat misleading of the DVD packaging/title to suggest that the cuts were only made to the US release.