What's new

Leon- The professional Korean 2 disc (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Does anyone have this?

I'm interested in the sound mix for Leon. Is it the same "bad" version as the first R1 version? They had to re-release it with "remastered" sound and I'd love to know.

Thanks!

phil hinton

Agent
Standby to be amazed, the soundmix is far better than the superbit and Dir cut editions on R1 DVD. A completely different master has been used. The picture is also a slight step up in quality terms.

I have reviewed the R3 two disc set and compared it against the R1 releases. Read the review Here

CraigL

Screenwriter
That's weird because I just got a different response from dvdtalk. Someone said it's lacking the bass of the original Leon. Hmmm...

Did you do a direct comparison of the two? Did you compare it to the corrected R1 version?

phil hinton

Agent
My review was compared against the R1 Superbit and the Version Integrale on R1. The R3 disc takes its transfer from the european master from Bessons company, not from the Columbia Vault. There were no problems with bass or sound at all, unlike the R1 discs which suffered.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I can't comment on the picture issue, but the R1 long version of Leon had a soundtrack with weak surrounds when released. It was repressed. When the Superbit came out, one of the things it took heat for was that it seemed to use the older, uncorrected soundtrack with weak surrounds.

Phil, if you have the first R1 pressing of Leon & the Superbit, you have probably still not heard the current soundtrack, which is supposedly better than the first pressing and the Superbit. I had my first pressing of Leon exchanged, and I believe you can tell which version you have by the color of the disk, but after all this time, I can't remember the exact details!

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
DVDTalk forum blows and I be keepin both my R1 Integrale Version and R3 2-disc, thank you very much.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Could be, Phil. When I get home tonight, I'll try to remember to take a look at my disk and post some details so you can find out.

I must admit, though - I am tempted to get the cheap Korean now because of your comments on the picture quality!;)

CraigL

Screenwriter

Why exactly would you be keeping the R1 version if you don't need it? You already have both versions in the R3 edition, thank you very much.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Phil,

I think the corrected version has a spine number like 06093. That's only based on my memory. I have the Korean 2 disc set, but I haven't cracked the seal yet.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Well, I'm looking at my corrected copy of Leon. The disc itself is blue with "The Professional" in yellow. I think the lettering was a different color on the first pressing - red perhaps.

The sleeve I have has the serial no. 06196. I can't remember if the whole package was replaced, or just the disc.

Let us know what you have Phil! And do you think the picture on R3 is worth an upgrade?

CraigL

Screenwriter
AGAIN...

the packaging now says "REMASTERED" sound. That's the easiest way to tell.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Just want to keep both. Can't got to ignorant DVDTalk anyways, stupid misunderstanding shit. HTF is so much better in terms of mutual comraderie and other positive things that DVDTalk was severely lacking.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Everyone keeps ignoring me! I said a 1000 times. IT SAYS REMASTERED ON IT! IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!!

lol

I feel like i'm bashing my head against the wall.

Do you need to see a picture of that as well??? :)

Cassy_w

Second Unit
All DVD's have remastered listed somewhere.

But here I am deducing that if it says "Digitally Remastered audio & anamorphic video" under SPECIAL FEATURES, then it's OK? Mine does.

CraigL

Screenwriter
No...they don't ALL say that. Some do...but definitely not a majority of the releases out there.

However, when dealing with this specific release...the CORRECTED release...says that.

FYI...there is a Japanese release coming out this summer that is supposed to be the definitive edition. You can find it at Yesasia.com. And it also has a DTS track. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks