What's new

Leon: The Professional 4K Remaster with Dolby Atmos (1 Viewer)

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
Leon: The Professional has just been released with a new 4K remaster with Dolby Atmos.

This title looks the best it has ever been, probably even better than during its initial release in 1994.

Colors are crisp and images are really sharp. Of course, the sound is great as well.

Leon is the film that made Luc Besson a talent to be recognized. Natalie Portman was only 13 in her first starring role. The rest of the fantastic cast included Gary Oldman, Jean Reno and Danny Aiello.

This title is one of Sony's new Supreme Cinema Series.

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
Robert Crawford said:
Kind of expensive, but I see two releases today so is the cheaper one at Amazon for 14.99 has the 4K remaster and Dolby Atmos too?
The Amazon price on this release is $31.31.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hi Robert - there are two versions of this release, and they both are supposed to contain the exact same disc, as was the case with the recent Bram Stoker's Dracula Blu-ray.

This link is for the "Cinema Series" version that has a new kind of packaging that Sony has been heavily promoting:
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Blu-ray-UltraViolet-Limited-Packaging/dp/B013UZ6L86/ref=tmm_blu_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1446006195&sr=8-1

This one has the exact same disc but comes in a standard Blu-ray case and is significantly less expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Blu-ray-Danny-Aiello/dp/B013UZ6PPA/ref=tmm_blu_title_2?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1446006195&sr=8-1

Hope that helps! I found it really confusing initially with the Dracula discs. I decided to get the less expensive packaging for that one, and will do the same when I get Leon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Josh Steinberg said:
Hi Robert - there are two versions of this release, and they both are supposed to contain the exact same disc, as was the case with the recent Bram Stoker's Dracula Blu-ray.

This link is for the "Cinema Series" version that has a new kind of packaging that Sony has been heavily promoting:
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Blu-ray-UltraViolet-Limited-Packaging/dp/B013UZ6L86/ref=tmm_blu_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1446006195&sr=8-1

This one has the exact same disc but comes in a standard Blu-ray case and is significantly less expensive:
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Blu-ray-Danny-Aiello/dp/B013UZ6PPA/ref=tmm_blu_title_2?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1446006195&sr=8-1

Hope that helps! I found it really confusing initially with the Dracula discs. I decided to get the less expensive packaging for that one, and will do the same when I get Leon.
Thank you Josh that is of great help.

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
Josh Steinberg said:

But does the cheaper version come with the Dolby Atmos audio track?

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I've purchased this movie in various editions about as many times as I've purchased T2. And somehow I never seem to regret it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Any opinions as to whether this new disc is worth the upgrade: either for video or audio?

Can the Dolby Atmos make a big enough difference on a title like this? Especially on HTs that are not Atmos-enabled?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Mike Frezon said:
Any opinions as to whether this new disc is worth the upgrade: either for video or audio?

Can the Dolby Atmos make a big enough difference on a title like this? Especially on HTs that are not Atmos-enabled?
We were talking about these releases while at Sony. We talked specifically about the Fifth Element, but I bet a lot of that applies to Leon as well. The Fifth Element has a new scan taken directly from the film negative, and according to Grover Crisp and the colorist who worked on it has never looked better. I imagine that Leon would have received similar treatment. I will be getting both, probably in the regular packaging.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Adam Gregorich said:
We were talking about these releases while at Sony. We talked specifically about the Fifth Element, but I bet a lot of that applies to Leon as well. The Fifth Element has a new scan taken directly from the film negative, and according to Grover Crisp and the colorist who worked on it has never looked better. I imagine that Leon would have received similar treatment. I will be getting both, probably in the regular packaging.
Yet, some are saying The Fifth Element BD improvement over the previous BD release isn't as prominent as it was with Leon or Dracula. That being said, I question whether that's true. I'm talking about The Fifth Element BD being less of an improvement. I suspect opinions will vary in that regard.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
?
From what I've seen it's an easy yes if you like the film at all. I don't know how many times I've watched
it and it never fails to impress me.

OTOH, the tealots seem to have a new mantra -- it's now the jaundicification of all things 4K.
Every one of these new transfers has the It's got a Yellow Push coming out the woodwork.
Even before the first jpg is published "Is it yellow too"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:

I think it's a noticeable upgrade in terms of both picture and sound. I was really impressed by "Leon".

I can't compare "TFE" Blu-rays, as I never saw the prior releases, but I definitely preferred the new "Leon" - it blew me away, and I'm not easily blown!

Wait - that doesn't sound right... :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I love Leon.

It sounds like it might be worth the double dip.

Funny thing, I was browsing through one of the remaining software B&M locations for me tonight and saw a used copy of the old Superbit DVD of Leon. Maybe that was a sign! :laugh:

Thanks, everybody.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
bluirv said:
But does the cheaper version come with the Dolby Atmos audio track?
Yes, it is the exact same disc. The only difference is the packaging.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Adam Gregorich said:
IF TFE is really from the OCN why is the framing so close to the last master? It looks like the scan was from an Anamorphic IP at least a gen away.

Also why is it shapened?

The Gaumont has more detail and no sharpening, sure the contrast is a mess and the highlights blown but there is no way theirs should look anywhere near better than a new Sony 4k scan imho.

Salacious Ackbar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
The new Leon disc looks fantastic. The new Fifth Element disc, not so much. It has the same issues as the U.S. remastered disc, namely a very digital appearance and over sharpening. The U.K. or Japanese discs with the Gaumont transfer blow it away.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I love Leon.

It sounds like it might be worth the double dip.

Funny thing, I was browsing through one of the remaining software B&M locations for me tonight and saw a used copy of the old Superbit DVD of Leon. Maybe that was a sign! :laugh:

Thanks, everybody.

Pulled the trigger on Leon the Professional just now from Amazon. Saw--in my cart--that it had dropped to $12.99.

That put me over the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks